“Could be better.....”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
berkeley
“Could be better.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

Just returned from a two night stay at the "green" H2. Liked the idea of FREE reusable water bottles and refill-able shampoo and conditioner. I did not like the fact that we had no idea that there was a "filling" station for said water bottles in the lobby. I did not like that I had no idea how to operate the thermostat unit in our suite. I asked the housekeeper but she wasn't much help. There was a simple (green) info guide in our room that made no mention of either OR what time was check-out. The Japanese soaking tub was a nice idea but there didn't seem to be enough hot water to fill the tub-and this was for my children, so I wasn't filling the whole tub. The continental breakfast was weak, an odd mix of food. Simple croissants and muffins and sliced (not whole pieces) of fruit would have been better. The pool was small but since, we were there during the week, size was not a problem. It could have been heated more. On the plus side: The size of our suite was perfect. The bathroom made it worth the price we paid for our suite. There was also a half bath. Our bed was very comfortable. The location of this hotel is perfect, two blocks to the plaza where a family can find: a toy store, candy store movie theater, not to mention numerous restaurants. Scopa-- was wonderful. Spoon-bar in H2.... not so much.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank BerkeleyRoxyb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Western Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

I found this hotel on Travel Zoo and reserved for 2 nights on our honeymoon trip. We were more than comfortable here. The bed was probably the most comfortable I've ever encountered in a hotel room and the bathroom/shower was amazing! We loved the location because it was easy to walk around Healdsburg and find places to eat, taste wine, shop, etc. I would highly recommend this hotel for any type of travel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the new H2Hotel!! Very chic and modern decor with an emphasis on being environmentally-friendly. All rooms are divine with exceptional beds and an outdoor terrace. The pool is located in a protected area in the back so the temperature is warmer than even in front of the hotel. The hotel location is perfect - right in the heart of the village of Healdsburg. The restaurant is fantastic, delicious and hip. The service was exceptional. Plus the price was more than reasonable. Overall, H2Hotel significantly exceeded expectations. We will definitely be repeat guests - we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

LOVED this place! I didn't have high expectations since they just opened. Sure there are a few things that need working out. (room service not available yet, a lil work noise during normal hours, etc...) nothing that really mattered much. If you want the Marriott then of course don't stay here. This is a modern boutique style hotel that is mostly "green". LOCATION: perfection. right in the square, walk to everything! Foss creek runs behind hotel. ROOMS: we stayed in a normal King room 1st night. The bathrooms were stand out amazing! Very clean and modern. The negative, the king bed is 2 twins shoved together. 2 comforters as well. So that part I did not like at all. Def. flaw. 2nd night we stayed in a suite. To be honest not much different other than the "too die for tub" and a mini fridge. In fact our desk area was smaller than the normal size room. You got 2 balconies instead of one as well. The tub was so deep me at 5'10" could totally enjoy it! Pure relaxation...There is a little noise from the area. I had no problem but an ultra sound sensitive person might. =) fyi is all SERVICE: So low key and friendly. The front desk crew all deserve raises! ;) POOL: unless I had a rockin body I couldn't go lay out. It is right next to the giant wall of windows that is the lobby of the hotel and Spoonbar. It is also very very small. Towels out and ready to use though. OTHER: bikes to borrow, parking close and easy. (valet or self available) Breakfast was very light, muffin, banana and coffee (Flying Goat so really good) Will I go back? You'll have to ask my hubby...LOL but I want too!! Just book it...great vibe, all ages crowd. Almost perfect...there on their way! ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING! The hotel sign is like 12"x12" impossible to see...look for building style.(photos on web page)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martinimom
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

I can't say enough good things about the staff at H2. Caring, attentive and personalized service. The hotel is very modern but clean and well-designed. I can't wait to go back again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

Loved many aspects of this place - the "sustainability" grows on you as you realize what's going on - naturally lighted stairwells instead of enclosed 24-hour artificially lighted metal fire stairwells; no carpeting - an area rug in the room - think of all the carpets saved. No bathtubs - only "Euro" shower areas within the bathroom - probably saved 100 tubs from being made; the 'natural' outdoor ironwork (rusting immediately) is a little strange albeit 'Asian asthetic'. Good breakfast food - although limited to fruit and yogurt (my usual, so that's OK). No-lead certified faucets. Cardboard hangers (saves metal) - but MISSING my expected iron & board for my next day shirt. Appreciated the re-fillable full-size shower shampoo/conditioner bottles instead of the little throwaway ones. Would really like some 'dark out' shades - can appreciate the cool wooden window blinds (and ceiling fan) - but this felt like a 1980's EURO room in Basel in terms of light/outside noise. Super comfortable (low) platform bed - saves on the box spring and metal frame. If you're OK with that, then this place is very TODAY. I'd go back, but maybe not with my wife who is very sensitive to light, noise, etc., despite her appreciating the sustainability aspects.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jsrr1950
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2010

A delightful little hotel that combines stylish comfort with modern ecological sensibility. Really enjoyed our stay here.

But really, they had us at the Heath tiles.

I generally tend to favor hotels that have a bit of a small inn feel, but not necessarily in the B&B way. Plenty of privacy, please, and no lace trims in pastel colors. And you get that here, in a baby-W format: The lobby is a well-populated bar/restaurant, the reception is attached to the bar, but thankfully there's no silliness like music piped into dark hallways.

The H2 welcomed us with a casual, friendly feel, and followed through with a modern idea of what a luxurious accommodation can be: No water in plastic bottles, LEED certification, sustainable but stylish materials. Did I mention the local Heath tiles?

We had just come back from an NYC trip where high-end-ness was signaled with constantly replenished bottles of Fiji water, and this was a nice welcome back to Northern CA, without it being hippie.

The standard rooms are compact but smartly and interestingly furnished. Lots of Dwell magazine going on here; for those keeping score on local architects, it's a David Baker building.

The hotel had been open for just a week when we stayed, but the staff didn't show it during our fully-sold weekend; I think their small size (36 rooms) allows for plenty of attention to the guests. The couple of oddball requests we asked of them were promptly and gracefully taken care of; as were other launch-week issues like the rooms missing hair dryers and steam irons.

Free wifi. Guest PCs available in the hallway. Comp morning pastries and fresh orange juice were delicious.

Thanks to @ssh2007 for the Travelzoo tip: We paid close to rack rate due to our weekend stay, but avoided the 2-night minimum stay requirement. Such is the reality of wine country lodgings during the summer season.

One note, being a car guy: Their valet parking is in a gravel lot. It's fine, but I know some people care a lot about these things.

We'd definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healdsburg
Hotel Healdsburg
#1 of 2 in Forestville
Vintners Inn
Vintners Inn
#2 of 25 in Santa Rosa

Been to H2 Hotel? Share your experiences!