“No Detail Left Unattended”

Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Healdsburg
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed 4 nites at Honor Mansion, at the recommendation of our sister-and brother-in-law, who have been there 4 times. We live in a VA suburb of Washington, D.C. and wanted a romantic experience along with something apart from the norm.Wow! We are past the point of roughing it, and luxury at a fair price is our goal. Honor Mansion exceeded that experience.

Located in a beautiful mid-1800's Mansion, the site is impeccably maintained with a combination of period antiques ccombined with electic more current pieces. We stayed in the Wisteria room; 4-poster bed with opulent linens; a Chippendate-style armoire housed the great sound system (relaxing cd's and all) and the TV. A crystal carafe of sherry, along with lovely stemware, was already on the dresser.

As it was our anniversary, Cathi and Steve had a delicious cake with whie and dark chocolate shavings over the buttercream icing, and a fabulous chilled botle of chardonnay, all gratis!

We got the tour from one of their "hostesses", which included perfectly manicured lawns for croquet; putting green, full tennis courts, bocce pits, half-court basketball (which my husband and i PLAYED ONE-ON-ONE!). The tour finished, we received a folder with brochures, maps, etc. and LOTS of free passes to tasting rooms, which are almost never free.

Back to the room - includng a private screen-in porch with fridge stocked with cold beverages. The bathroom had these upscale toiletries I hadn't been familiar with (my hsband's dry skin appreciated the olive-oil soap); alongwith a 4-footed bathtub with shower. The towels were lush and lovely. I saw a small flashlight and thought, "what whya noyone need that?" Until I realized, after Hubby was already asleep, that I forgot to plug my phone in. The charger was somewhere in the bathroom, and I never would have found it without waking him up without the flashlight! Who knew!

The breakfast s - including choices off a menu of complimentary mimosas - were elegant and wonderful. The only crtiticism I have is that the main entrees were ususally pretty rich (lots of cream; cheese, etc) defintely delicious but a little too heavy.
The saving grace was the amazing array of fresh fuits, grains, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, etc.etc. The coffee was hot and deliciuos; the whole staff acted like they were truly pleased to make up happy.

We have stayed at the Four Seasons, The Mandarin Oriental Hotels, etc. and Honor Mansion was absolutely right up there for a much more reasonable price. Steve, the innkeeper, and his wife, Cathi, are tototally on top of which winerys to recommend to which guests based on what they like. These people really get hospitality. We are already planning our next trip there. Even though we haven't been to Napa yet, I think we'll still stay with them and do the limo tour thing; it's not that far.

We could go on and on but their web site depicts what they have accurately. It's unusual for us to rave this much.

They have no fitness center but give you free passes to the elegant facility in Healdsburg, about a mile away.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

Honor Mansion has it all -- exceptional service, beautiful grounds, great location and terrific food. We stayed here for two nights earlier this month and honestly can't say enough wonderful things about this inn.

Our experience began when we checked into Honor Mansion before our room was ready around noon. The staff gave us restaurant suggestions for lunch and a map of local wineries with recommendations. When we returned to Honor Mansion later in the afternoon, much to our surprise, we had been upgraded to a suite -- compliments of the inn. In our room was a welcome letter, a cake for my husband's 40th birthday, a bottle of wine and other wonderful personal touches.

The rooms were really lovely complete with plush robes, slippers, water and a decanter of sherry. Each morning, coffee, biscotti and a newspaper were delivered to our door.

I really must compliment Susi and the entire Honor Mansion team. The service was truly the best I have ever experienced. They somehow anticipate your every need and desire. From making dinner reservations, to packing picnic lunches, to providing coupons for free wine tastings and complimentary guest passes to the local health club.

Our only disappointment was that we didn't spend enough time enjoying the stunning grounds. If you are staying at Honor Mansion, make sure to take a few hours to relax by the pool, play some bocce or tennis, or practice on the putting green.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Everything I wanted to say has been said by previous contributors - every word is true! Have stayed in 5 star hotels which didn't come close to the luxury offered at Honor Mansion. As a well-travelled and rather demanding traveller, I could not find a single fault with this charming "inn". So many little extras and attention to detail make it quite extraordinary.

We stayed in the Garden Suite - set on the side of the mansion...own drive; porch; private hot tub; gorgeous decor inside; comfortable bed; own entrance to pool area.

Steve, Cathi & all the staff - can't praise you enough.

If you are looking for a fantastic and romantic place as a base for exploring wine country, this is it!

Reviewed July 6, 2009

The Honor Mansion was fantastic! The grounds were beautiful & fun. We especially enjoyed the pool, croquet & bocce. The service is impeccable and all the special details they include like coffee delivered in the morning or all the in room amenities makes you feel so well taken care of. Steve also gives the best winery recommendations, complete with a map and if you mention Honor Mansion poof! wine tasting fees disappear :) The wine hour is delish, with a different tasting each day and a lovely selection of cheese, crackers, apps & fruit, yet another perk. Did i mention the mimosa menu at breakfast? The list goes on - stay here if you can it is more than worth it! thanks again to Steve, Cathy & the staff if you're reading

Reviewed July 1, 2009

My fiance and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Honor Mansion. Our stay here was one of the highlights of our three-week-long trip to California. This was our second stay at the inn, and within just a few minutes, we remembered why we love this inn so very much! We have stayed at bed and breakfasts all over the United States, and most of these inns were Select Registry Inns. Yet when we think back to all of these stays, it only takes as second for our favorite to come to mind - the Honor Mansion.
Perhaps my favorite part of our stay at the inn was the complimentary room upgrade we recived upon arrival. A very gracious woman named Natalie first showed us the room we had booked and then popped the surpise - if we would like we could stay in one of the inn's private suites! I was honestly so excited that I felt as if I could hug her right then and there! The suite she showed us was maginificent - with no detail left out - from the fresh roses, to complimentary bottle of wine and personal welcome note. We actually loved our room so much that we planned our stay in Healdsburg around the Honor Mansion! We wanted to spend as much time in our room as possible, because we weren't sure if we would get such a fabulous surprise ever again!
There is not a single thing that I could say about this inn that would not be wonderful. They are truly first class all the way. The staff is so kind and helpful, the breakfasts and goodies delicious, and the grounds postively breathtaking. I have never felt so pampered!
The worst part about my stay at the Honor Mansion was that I had leave. We enjoyed our stay so much that we have decided to make a visit to this inn a yearly ritual. I am already daydreaming of going back.
If you have the opportunity to stay here, please do, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shellgirl2007
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Had an excellent stay at the Honor Mansion recently, couldnt hope for more service or personal attention. Highly recommend it as a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My girlfriend and I spent 4 fantatic nights at the Honor Mansion in October of 2008. The staff was beyond compare as they attended to every need. In addition to running an excellent establishment, they were also extremely knowledgable about the area and are more than happy to arrange tours, schedules, etc. for seeing Wine Country. The town of Healdsburg is great as well, with fantastic resturants and a neat little square. All in all, one of the best spots in all of Wine Country.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Healdsburg
H2 Hotel
#7 of 9 in Healdsburg
Bodega Bay Lodge
Bodega Bay Lodge
#1 of 5 in Bodega Bay

Been to Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort? Share your experiences!