“Exceeded my expectations”

Healdsburg Area Winery Tours
Ranked #15 of 27 Tours in Healdsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: Private six hour wine tours for 2-6 traveling together are customized to client wine preferences & destination interests-- or leave the choices to us as knowledgeable guides.
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I had such a wonderful experience in Northern Sonoma Valley with Gene. His personality was very warm, caring, and comical. He personalized the tour for us based on our likes (both wine and experience desired). I could not have been happier with his selections. I felt like a local in the area due to Gene's presence and respect in the area- we certainly got special treatment at some of the wineries with a free tasting (also bring your Visa Signature card for free tastings at many wineries). Gene also took many pictures for us. I also liked that he interacted with us, yet also gave us privacy. He is so knowledgeable about the area and you can tell he truly loves what he does and he's not doing this just to make money. I highly recommend Gene if you want a great experience in Sonoma Valley!! I will certainly hire him again when I return to the area.

There are newer reviews for Healdsburg Area Winery Tours

Reviewed April 30, 2012

My husband & I like to drink wine, but we aren't too knowledgeable. From the moment Gene picked us up at our hotel (which was right on time!) we were put at ease. Gene is friendly, extremely knowledgeable about the area and wineries, and is very well respected by all the vinyard owners. The wineries he chose were excellent (we left that up to him), the wine plentiful & delicious, and the staff were warm, friendly, and they seemed to have great relationships with Gene. Gene also knows the importance of a good photo-op, and always made sure he snapped quite a few photos of us at each stop. I would recommend booking with Healdsburg Area Winery Tours to anyone looking for a private, more personalized tour. We came home with 16 bottles of excellent wine, and great memories! Thank you Gene, we can't wait to come back!

1  Thank MarlaJan
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Gene(the owner) is a long-time local who is well-respected (and more importantly, well-liked) among local vinyard owners.

He was on time and picked us up from our hotel . We're not well versed on wines and he didn't talk down to us or make us feel like we were annoying him with questions.

Overall, a relaxed and enjoyable time. Would do this again if ever in the area.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I highly recommend booking a wine tour with Gene if you're in the Healdsburg/Russian River Valley area. Gene is extremely friendly and professional - his tour was the highlight of a wonderful 4-day vacation to the RRV and Napa Valley areas. His tour is also a great deal. For the same price you'd pay to go on a shared group tour to wineries chosen by the tour operator, Gene will take you on a private tour customized for you. He will ask you about which wines/wineries you are interested in and also suggest some based on his extensive knowledge of the area.

On our tour, my husband and I visited 5 wineries in both the RRV and the Alexander Valley areas. Three were our preference and two were Gene's suggestions and he was spot on - at both places he suggested, we liked the wines so much we ended up joining the wine clubs. He also took us on a quick tour through Healdsburg where we stopped for sandwiches. We really enjoyed the many anecdotes and recommendations he made as we traveled the region together. Like many have said, his easy-going way makes it seeem like you are being taken around by an old friend rather than a tour operator you just met that day.

1  Thank JessieinTX
Reviewed January 10, 2012

My husband and I toured with Healdsburg Area Winery Tours the first week of January and could not have been more pleased. The tour was easily booked online, and through emails I communicated our preferences to Gene and Debbie. Since I had never been to the Healdsburg area, I left the touring plan up to Gene, having given him our preferences of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Sauvignon Blanc. A wonderful selection of wineries was chosen by Gene, and each stop far exceeded our expectations. Both the tasting rooms and the quality of the wines were spectacular. We were received warmly by the hosts at all the wineries we visited, which I feel in part was due to Gene's relationship with the folks at the tasting rooms. Some highlights of our tour included: meeting the winemaker Dan Goldfield at Dutton-Goldfield, the views at Gary Farrell and the great wine club we decided to join, and the warmth and hospitality we received at Arista. Plus, we stopped at a great, casual sandwich shop for a quick lunch which didn't cut into our time visiting the wineries. I highly recommend Healdsburg Area Winery tours and will be booking with them again the next time we are in the Healdsburg area.

2  Thank krissalee