“food was good but definately not child friendly”
Review of Scopa - CLOSED

Scopa
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
california
“food was good but definately not child friendly”
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Hi, this is the first restuarant on the healdsburg square or in general that I have been to
that was not child friendly at all. They have no booster seats, no highchairs....and are very unhelpful and unfriendly regarding this. Our child who is almost 2 was very well braved but its hard to hold on to a child and eat. The hostess was very rude when asked about do you have high chair...etc. I highly recommend another restaurant in town called Zin which is a great restaurant in Healdsburg...has high chairs and they are very friendly and they have very good food.

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food and welcoming service”
Reviewed April 9, 2009

My husband and I had a lovely meal at Scopa after having some bad experiences at other restaurants during our 2 week holiday in Northern California. The restaurant was buzzing with atmosphere (it's obviously popular for birthdays as there were 3 while we were there!) and the service was warm and friendly, particularly from the owner who was on the door.

The food was comforting and tasty, without being pretentious in any way. I can recommend the appetizers, particularly the meatballs and the beans (a bit like edamame) and you could make a perfect light meal to share with a selection of these and other starters. The main courses were good too - but I think we'd ordered too much as I could barely get through my pizza!

I'd go back in a heartbeat and suggest you try it if you get the chance.

santa rosa,ca
“good not great”
Reviewed March 13, 2009

I had heard such positive buzz about scopa that I couldnt wait to give it a try. very much an italian tratoria scopa has great ambience. a long narrow place,seating is tight but comfortable. noise level is high. service is very attentive. they made us feel very welcome. prices are quite reasonable w/ dinner and wine about 100 dollars.
they carry chiarito as there house wine and at 30 a bottle this is good value. they have no seafood entrees or appetizers and are heavy on the meat.
i had a grilled romaine salad that was excellent and unusual. the margharita pizza was just "OK" . crust was unexceptional, no discernible basil and just not that tasty. my wife had a spinach and blood orange salad which had very few small blood orange segment but was pretty good. her entree, a ravioli dish was good but poorly presented and came as a plate of cheesy mush, but tasted pretty good. the coffee cream curdled which was NOT acceptable.
there is alot of potential here however. the owner is young and talented but has a ways to go to put scopa on par w/ similar restaurants like diavola and rossos. probably will go back in a year or so to see if scopa improves

1 Thank alan k
Healdsburg, California
“Wasn't as good as the first time”
Reviewed March 8, 2009

We went in 9/08 with relatives the first time. The homemade ravioli and the special of the day, steamed clams, were the best I ever tasted. My husband and I went again 3/7/09 and had a different experience. It's a very tiny restaurant and always crowded. We sat at a "high" table with very uncomfortable chairs next to the bar (very loud). Homemade bread (very good) was served with a tangy olive oil. No salt and pepper on table and had to ask for balsalmic vinegar. Spinach salad was very good, but my husband's ravioli alone were very good but the marinara had no flavor. My gnocchi were like little cloud puffs but were served in a thick chicken broth that was also flavorless. Had to ask for parm cheese. It was my birthday, so my husband mentioned it to our server. They brought out a complimentary ice cream with espresso and gave it to my husband and gave me a slice of dense chocolate cake with a candle. The ice cream was superb but I don't really like rich cake. We got the bill and was charged $7 for the cake. My husband had already paid the server and we didn't want to wait to have the owner come over to adjust the amount. We thought the service was under par and being served cake that wasn't ordered was unprofessional.

1 Thank selzanelli
baltimore, md
“Hidden find!”
Reviewed February 19, 2009

As visitors, we were not aware of how early restaurants close in this part of CA. The staff at Scopa went out of their way to accomodate us at 10PM (everywhere else closed) and were wonderfully friendly. The dinner was awesome! One was a chicken dish that literally fell off the bone and melted in your mouth. Definitely somewhere we will visit again when we come back.