“Treatment by Front Desk Unprofessional”

Super 8 Hayward Downtown
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Hayward
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I made my reservation online for 3 nights (Dec. 26 - 28, 2012): 1 queen-sized bed, frig, coffeemaker, free Wi-Fi and continental breakfast. I was given room 347 (which also had a microwave and hairdryer). Total cost with 10% AAA discount was $162.00.

At 11:00 p.m. on my first night, while using the sink for the first time, it backed up and water was leaking from the pipe under the sink onto the tiled floor. I put the ice bucket under the sink to catch the water and put a bath towel down onto the floor, then immediately called down to the front desk. A man answered and when I told him of the problem, I was disconnected. When I called back, he answered the phone as if we hadn’t just spoken. I repeated that water was leaking out of the pipe. He then asked me what I wanted him to do. I repeated that water was on the floor and he said he would be right up. He came up, turned the water on and off several times, looked under the sink several times, and then asked me what I did to clog the sink. When I informed him that I did not clog it, I was using it for the first time, he then asked me if I had washed my hair in it. When I told him I had not washed my hair and informed him again that this was the first time I had used the sink and had not put anything down it, he then stated that maintenance would not be available until the morning and there was nothing he could do. He asked me again what I wanted him to do. I then asked him what he was doing to do. He suggested that he could move me to a different room either that night or the next morning. I chose that night since I was going to be out the following day.

He left and then called me about 10 minutes later and stated room 343 was available and asked me to come down to the desk to pick up the key. I stated that since I was packing up my things, it would be more convenient if he came up and gave me the key. He came up, and while handing me the key stated the room had a king-sized bed, but he wouldn’t charge me extra for it. He stated that’s all he had to offer because all the other non-smoking rooms were taken (however, the parking lot only had a few cars in it, including mine). He also stated to make sure I closed the door completely to room 347 since he didn’t want anyone staying in it that shouldn’t be there; something about anyone on the street could come in. I assured him I would make sure the door was locked after I left, which I did.

I had no problems with room 343 and it was fine the remainder of my stay, although it didn’t have a microwave. The room was clean and had no outside noise. Housekeeping did a very good job.

A continental breakfast was offered, but I did not utilize it. However, it was in the main lobby of the building, which is tiny with no tables/chairs. If you wanted any of the items, you would have to take what you wanted with you or stand at the counter.

I am giving this motel an average rating because of the treatment I received by, I’m assuming, the manager. I was not offered an apology for my inconvenience and was treated as if I had done something wrong. The manager, upon giving me the other room, treated me as if he was doing me a favor. He was very abrupt, was very unprofessional, and his treatment towards me was uncalled for.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed October 26, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Motel was good but breakfast was without a table and chairs.
It was very noisy but the police came and took the people away.
Overall was the price for what we got ok.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Dirtiest most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in. I cannot believe a national chain like Super 8 would allow this. I will never look to stay a a Super 8 again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank route6462
Reviewed August 17, 2011

It was my first time in California and I stayed at this Super 8 with my friends. We checked in, went to our room and the first thing we noticed was a stale odor. The room was clean, so we continued to get settled in. The sheets were thin on the bed but looked fairly clean and the bed was comfortable.
The next morning we got up and went to take our showers and there was NO HOT WATER!! We called the front desk with no answer for over an hour. Eventually I walked down to the front to get my free continental breakfast and no one was there!!
I feel that my friends and I were scammed! They seem to be trying to save money by saving all their hot water and not feeding you here when that is what is supposed to be included!!
I don't recommend staying here if you want to have an enjoyable stay in Hayward, because I sure did not!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Melanie C
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I DO NOT RECOMMEND SUPER 8! This was my first time at this place and it will be my last. My room had NO HOT WATER and the receptionist was nowhere to be found. The office wasn't open when I checked out at almost 8am in the morning, so needless to say, my daughter, my friend, and I didn't our continental breakfast either. I want half of my money back and when I went to the office to ask for some sort of compensation, the office door was locked, the night bell didn't work, and noone was in the office!

Room Tip: Don't stay at a Super 8 motel/hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Elana75
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I am ashamed to say i have stayed here once. First of all, The rate outside said $45, they charged me $65. When i got to my room it smelled bad and the lights did not work, the toilet did not work (to flush it i had to lift the top off and stick my hand in dirty water and pull the plug) the remote did not work. The hot water did not work. I went to tell the lady downstairs & to try to get a refund and she sent her husband up to my room & when he went in the room. HE FIXED EVERTHING and then came back down and told me that everything is working fine and i was wrong!! SHADY!!!!!! I told them that was shady of him and i wanted a refund and they proceeded to yell at me and call me a stupid american & told me that americans are stupid!! & flipped me off as i was leaving. At that point i needed someone to hold me back. Don't even bother staying there... They are racist and shady!!

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lindytaytay
supe8hayward, Manager at Super 8 Hayward Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2010

The guest has stated that they were charged $65.00 for a room when the rate was suppose to be $45.00. We have two buildings at Super 8. The $45.00 rate is for one of the buildings and the second building has the $65-75 rates. The $45.00 rate was unavailable, therefore the guest was given a $5 discount on the rate and was offered a $60.00 rate.

The guest complained that everything in the room wasn't working, when in fact we had our maintenance team check the room to verify that everything in the room was fully functional. The guest had used the room and expected a refund.

The guest also complained about racial remarks made by the front desk clerk. These accusations are false. The guest was upset they could not get a refund for a room they used and did not want to pay for.