“Just an OK hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Oakland - Hayward
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Hayward
Reviewed July 3, 2013

The hotel was fair as far as LaQuinta's are. Nothing special and in an OK area. It is possible to walk to the grocery store or Target. The main problem I had with this property is the staff. They were rude from the time I checked in. It had to do with having a credit card for a deposit even though I have a direct bill account with a credit card on file. Very sarcastic and just down right rude. This is including the assistant manager who was Max Oceguera. I asked for the hotel manager to give me a call the following day and when she did call, all she did was tell me that her staff is great. Without even checking to see what how valid my issues were. She totally discounted my concerns. I'm an Elite member and I stay at LaQuinta's on a weekly basis for business. And when you're tired and you finally make it to your hotel, you don't expect to be treated poorly. If it had not been late in the day and the other area hotels were full or filling up quickly, I had to suck it up and stay. But this is one place I will never stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dcbornrob

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Although the room was nice and appeared clean, I'd find another hotel. The floor we stayed on was a non-smoking floor but apparently that only pertained to cigarettes. The smell of marijuana was so strong when we walked through the hallway it was overpowering. I believe there was more serious problems going on there as well. I don't sleep well at night so am up and down all evening. I woke at 2 a.m. and stood out on the balcony a couple s couple of times. What first alerted me that there might be problems was the fact that they had a security car driving around the lot (which was a good thing) and the guard getting out shining his light in some cars. He was probably checking for the parking card that you were asked to put on the dashboard. Funny thing is when the guard was not out making his rounds I saw on three separate instances cars pull up and get out of their car, they would make a whistle of some sort and a man on the 3rd floor would go out on the balcony and throw his keycard down and those people would let themselves in. Each time it was different people. I did not notify the front desk as I was afraid of any retribution from the people that were staying on the 3rd floor. I was very glad to get out of there the next morning. It's very deceiving as the neighborhood the hotel is located looked very good and that's why we decided to stay there.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Overall it was a nice hotel, breakfast was so-so with some good things, but scrambled eggs were not real eggs. pool and hot tub were nice to have, my boys liked swimming there. Room was a good size though our balcony was closed off. Had small problem with bathroom, but maintenance fixed it right away. After check-out we left the area after an hour of traveling we realized we had forgot something in the room. Called the hotel they said they would look into it and get back to us. I told them exactly where it was and what it was. When they called back they said they did not find the item. I know I left it there, someone must have valued it more than customer service. I won't ever go back. Nor would I recommend a place where I cannot trust the staff.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Our Company Hotel of choice. Early breakfast is a plus, staff extremely helpful, night desk gal Martika is terrific.

Rooms are spacious and clean, most have balconies, and its a great. location for the entire Bay Area

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
A La Quinta traveler
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed June 20, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Melissa E, General Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Oakland - Hayward, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Have stayed here before and it was okay. This time I was here with a friend for 7 nights to visit with family and friends in the area. Check in was pleasant and easy. Room location was great. Room and beds were comfortable enough, but had that stale "hotel smell" that just never seems to go away. We were able to open the windows during the day to let fresh air into the room. The tile grout in the shower/bath was NOT clean. It stumps me why a place would install a shower with grout when it is a high maintenance feature. Why not just put in a one piece marble stall?

Around 10:30 PM on the 4th night the toilet stopped up. I called the front desk and was told by the young woman that she was alone and had no one she could send to the room to help. She said I could come and get a plunger from the front desk and try to fix the problem myself. As there was no other choice I got dressed and went to pick up the plunger. It was strange because a fellow had gone to retrieve the plunger to bring it to the front desk, but yet he (whoever he was) was not available to come to do the plunging.

Luckily I was able to unclog the toilet myself. But I told the folks at the desk that I was quite disappointed that a hotel the size of this La Quinta did not have someone on the overnight shift to handle maintenance issues. I felt for the price I was paying that I should not have to be taking care of my own plumbing problems.

Also there are bunches and bunches of small school buses that park in the hotel parking lot every night and over the weekend. They are scattered all around the entire hotel property. While we were never out a parking place, they do make noise when they start up around 5:30 - 6:00 AM, and when they come in the mid afternoon. These were not there when we stayed in August.

And our key cards failed to work around the middle of our stay. The woman at the desk said they must have become demagnetized - strange since both my friend and I carried our key cards in our own separate purses, nowhere near credit cards or anything else that could demagnetize them. So we had to 2 new key cards to even get into the building from the side entrance.

The wifi service is S L O W!! There are several networks available from the hotel, but each on proved to be so very very frustratingly slow!

I like the location of this place as it is central to the people and places I visit when I come to the Hayward area. I just feel that for the price I paid I expected a little more.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room away from the side that faces the Hayward airport. It can get nois...