New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Discovery Inn
Discovery Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Hayward
Reno
“Only if the worls was ending”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

with only 200 characters it will be difficult to express how awful this place was. I arrived at 1:45 AM. Almost every hotel in Hayward was booked and this was the only one I could find. Because it was so early in the morning I asked the proprietor if you could give me a little break off and $96 room fee, he said no. After accepting the price and getting the room, I noticed immediately how filthy the place was. The bedspread smelled and so did the pillows the television, though brand-new I could not get to work and I am technically minded. The bed was as hard as a rock, the hairdryer was broken the air conditioner did not work well and the neighborhood was a demilitarized zone. Pass this one up, for my $96 I could've probably stated best Western.

Room Tip: the best tip I can give you is don't stay here. I'm serious this is a shoddy piece of crap h...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank TonyU9979

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed here for a night. Not the cleanest or most attractive looking place but we knew it would be fine since we had to wake up early to head to the airport.

Upon arrival, the lady at the front desk was very helpful and was able to check us in a lot earlier than the normal check in time. Our room was cleaned and made up and we entered around noon. We were very appreciative of the customer service at this point.

Around 11pm as I was ready to drift off, I reached for my second pillow and found a spider crawling on it. It was not a tiny dead spider, but a brown live spider. I called the front desk to let them know and the same lady was very shocked and apologetic and sent someone up (assuming her husband). The man came in, killed the spider on the bed itself, didn't offer any new sheets or pillow cases, and sprayed the room with bug spray and told us to turn on the AC to air out the room and we should be fine. He also said that there would probably only be one or two...huh?! not acceptable.

We promptly called hotels.com to request a refund. After going back and forth with the front desk, the customer service rep said they could offer us a 40% discount. Since we had nowhere else to go in the middle of the night, we accepted it.

All in all, if the bug was on the floor or something, it would be a different story. The fact that it was crawling in my head space, the owner killed it on the bed and wiped it up without offering any new sheets (all other rooms were filled), tried to leave the towel that he killed the spider with in our room in case we saw another one with the dead bug still on the towel, and then brushing it off as if we should just live with it...not ok.

Also, the toilet in our room ran every 10 minutes, super loud (room 221). There were stains on my bath towel and the sheets and pillow cases were worn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tiffany M

Travelers are raving about these Hayward hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My husband I went on a business trip and called ahead to make sure the hotel had truck parking. We were assured that it did but upon arriving, we were told to park in a dark alleyway across the street! We were hauling expensive equipment that we could not risk being stolen. Manager was unprofessional, denied lying to us, and refused to refund our money!! This motel is in the GHETTO and we were worried for our safety as well as the security of the cargo we were hauling. Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2012
San Leandro, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Was told we had to leave at the end of the week we pre- paid for due to having to ask the Hayward police to come so we could file a theft report on some personal property we had not retrieved from the home we were moving from.Nothing to do with hotel. Then he blamed me for the stopped up sink.Saying I put food down it!!! We were only at that point there 2 days!!!!The RUDEST manager-owner EVER.Seems to be nicer to men than me as a female.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2006

This is not your average motel. The room i stayed in was a 2 bedded non smoking room in which i stayed for 6 nights. This room was extremely clean and the service was outstanding. The rooms have everything a tourist like me would want. It has wireless and wired internet, microwave, fridge, coffee pot, VCR's, DVD players and a nice big 27" tv. The front desk was very helpful and courteous in planning and routing our trips to San Francisco and other points of interest. They really do go out of their way. I have stayed at many places around the world with my family and the Discovery INN definitely hits the top 5, considering that i have paid about $2000 a night in Switzerland. When i come to the San Francisco Bay Area again, the Discovery INN will definitely receive my family's business.
The Discovery INN also has a very good location because it is in the center of the San Francisco Bay Area.

• Liked — Clean rooms and service
  • Disliked — can't think of anything.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for AAA discount, helps when you are staying a few nights.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank highhrider
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

Rooms were inferior to the $70 per night rate, but that was not the real issue. We booked a room, at the check-in desk, for 2 nights. The next day, when returning from business, we discovered that our room key had been invalidated and we were locked out of our room and our belongings. After going to the office, we were told that we had paid for only one night. We insisted this was not the case, but "Brenda" would have no part of it. Of course, rather than look at any paperwork, she continued to insist we had paid for just one night. After much back and forth, she finally decided to look it up and indeed found that we had paid for the nights of 11/27 and 11/28. Now comes the humorous part. Not only was there no apology for what could only be interpreted as accusations against us, Brenda continued on to tell me roommate that she smelled like smoke. Why she said this, I cannot begin to explain. Especially since we were staying in a smoking room. In any case, I would strongly advise against staying at this motel.

• Stayed November 2006
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank jsantee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayward
Quality Inn Hayward Hotel
Days Inn Hayward Airport
#11 of 14 in Hayward
3.0 of 5 stars 83 reviews
Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakland Hayward

Been to Discovery Inn? Share your experiences!