“Brand new in Hayward, and great food!”
Review of Hayward Farmhouse

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hayward Farmhouse
Ranked #124 of 307 Restaurants in Hayward
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Really should be 4.5 stars but TripAdvisor does not offer that in their scoring system. We tried this out on our way back to our home on the Peninsula last week after I had picked up my wife at the Oakland airport as it was after 8 pm and we had never eaten dinner in Hayward that I can recall. We both had the polenta fries off the appetizer menu and they are to die for. My wife fell in love with the spicy tuna tacos as well, said she could have just picked 4 or more off the appetizer menu and that would have been great. She had the beet salad. It seemed small to me but she pointed it was only $6.

I was very torn between choosing the salmon entree and either of the two steaks but after a recent trip to Japan and seafood most every day there I went with the $26 bone in ribeye steak, smothered in mushrooms sauteed in bourbon sauce. It was cooked exactly like I like it, medium rare. I did not add a grain of salt to it, which is extremely unusual for me.

A party of 6 sitting near us was raving about the soup, a seafood soup.

For dessert we split a flourless chocolate. This was the only thing that prevented me from giving this place 5 starts. It was a bit dry and my wife and I both felt that a flourless chocolate cake should be thin and dense, like 1/2" thick or less, not 2-3" high and then covered with a marshmallow topping. It was tasty but was not amazing.

You have to ask for salt and pepper as none of the tables have any on it. We were there about 8:30 pm so was pretty quiet, only a few tables with diners still there so service was prompt. I did have to ask for my root beer twice though. I noted the waitress did not write anything down. Not sure if this is their SOP or not. I look forward to returning soon when they should have their liquor license by then as one of my children goes to the nearby chiropractic college and this would be a great place to have lunch or dinner with them between or after classes.

1  Thank Sherpadad54