“Awesome food and almost too much of it!”
Review of LA Imperial Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
LA Imperial Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: Home of the Supreme Buritto.
Description: Home of the Supreme Buritto.
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I moved to the Bay Area almost 14 years ago. When I was getting ready to relocate from So Cal, a friend told me about this place (he attended Cal State Hayward years earlier) so I made a point to check it out after I moved up. It is excellent. I've turned many a friend on to it and we tend to go fairly regularly. Food is a bit different from the Mex I grew up with in San Diego, but it has a really unique flavor that I really liked. A Super Burrito is about 2 or 3 meals for me. The Camarones Al Diablo ROCK!!! So do the Chili Rellenos. Not too sure about what the other reviewer has going on against this place - I have tried the restaurant next door too, and while it wasn't horrible, I was unimpressed. Staff at La Imperial are friendly and it's a happy, informal atmosphere, with a decent beer selection too! Seems like there are a lot of regulars They started adding specials recently and list them on their Facebook page - the special is about perfect meal-size too - if you don't want to bring half a burrito home :o) I recommend this place any day.

There are newer reviews for LA Imperial Restaurant

Reviewed November 18, 2009

Like the last reviewer, I first encountered La Imperial about 30 years ago (when there was a Mexican supermarket in the front half of the restaurant). Though I have moved around the world, whenever I come back to the Bay Area I pop in for some real California-Mexican food. I've introduced many friends and guests to it over the years and not one unhappy diner among them. It hasn't changed much since 1978 when I first came, it's the Home of the Super Burrito but they have many other creative and tasty Mexican dishes as well and great tortilla chips and salsa.

Let's talk about what it is not: a corporate Mexican chain restaurant with flashy margaritas, fancy decorations, and non-spicy overpriced "Mexican"grub. They won't bring sizzling Fajitas to your table, they don't use a fake Mexican accent and call you "amigo," and they don't spend much on decor. It's just a good old eatery with exceptionally tasty food served by the same funny and slightly quirky family members as always.

Another reviewer mentions Los Compadres next door as the real deal....well these two places have been rivals for Hayward diners for many years and have used whatever tricks necessary to steal clients from each other. I've been to Los Compadres and it's not bad, but it isn't La Imperial. Have some chips, then a plate-filling Chicken Super Burrito smothered in salsa and a 25 oz. can of Fosters for under $10 and see if you can finish the meal. You'll be eating leftovers the whole next day. It's an experience not to be missed.

2  Thank howardbrenni
Reviewed May 31, 2009

I started dining here when we moved to Northern California 37 years ago. I've watched the family that owns and operates it grow and the building that houses it change. But the food and friendly environment has never changed. It is marvelous. Over the years I've taken dozens of friends and visitors here. Each one has become addicted to the place and keeps going back, or remenicing about their experience here. It is unique and delicious.

Reviewed April 29, 2009

The Chicken Quesadilla I had was wonderful. The homemade salsa was very good along with the corn tortillas chips. I enjoyed the family atmosphere. I will defiantly go back again the next time I am in town!

Reviewed April 25, 2008

Food taste just like my grandparent's would cook, especially the machaca. Family owned, and after you've been a few times, you're treated just like family too!

I've taken many a person there who are visiting from out of town, and when they come back to visit, off we go to this authenic restaurant.

1  Thank Slugger69