“New, clean but beware the night time construction!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakland Hayward
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Hayward
New York
“New, clean but beware the night time construction!”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had a last minute business trip to Redwood City. Since this hotel was across the bay right off the San Mateo Bridge, it was conveniently located and very affordable.

The hotel looks new and clean. It actually looks more like a Courtyard than your traditional Fairfield - since there is courtyard with the rooms ringed around the courtyard. You get the usual amenities with a Fairfield - free wifi in the rooms and free hot breakfast. They had a Happy Hour each weeknight with hot appetizers and beer/wine.

I stayed in a handicap-accessible room which had a nice sized bathroom. The room also had a mini-fridge which I find convenient for long stays or for families. I didn't intend to stay in a handicap-accessible room but the first room I was given faced the entrance ramp to the San Mateo Bridge. That would have been fine except for the night time construction that was going on. You could hear the constant rumbling and beeping of trucks. It was really loud, so I had my room moved. This was the third week of September 2013. Maybe the construction is done now.

Otherwise, it is a great hotel - affordable, clean, spacious. For me to go to Redwood City, it was highly convenient to take the bridge across the bay (there is a $5 toll going south). If I was going to Oakland, it would have been convenient. For San Jose, San Francisco, probably not so great of a location.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side face the on ramp of the San Mateo Bridge which was under construction at nigh...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Huntington Beach Ca
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Looks almost a brand new hotel, there is still construction around it.
Clean, very welcoming and helpful staff, nice and well furnished rooms, the hotel as an interesting layout for a Fairfield signature, it looks more like an Embassy Suites but smaller and with less services, but for the purpose of business, family and economy it does the job fairly well.
As said it before, the staff is very welcoming, helpful and efficient.
There is one thing they must work on: the Wi-Fi is insufficient and the connections are very slow or break up, could not do any online work without being disconnected or frozen.
I will visit again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HumbertoM
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just visited Hayward for the first time and spent 5 nights in this motel. I chose it based on location and reviews since it really didn't seem better or worse than other choices in the area. The next time I'm in Hayward I'll choose a different motel.

We opted to stay in the two room suite since we would be there for 5 days. The suite was spacious but depressing as hell to be in, so a waste of money (a LOT of money) in the end. It looked like it had been decorated from a garage sale/flea market. Damaged furniture, missing furniture, mismatched furniture, no pictures on the wall, an ancient jacuzzi tub in the corner of the bedroom which could have been one of the first ever made! When I called to make my reservation I purposely asked if there was a jacuzzi in the room. I absolutely HATE when these things are right in the bedroom - it always makes me wonder where the mirrored ceilings are - just seems tacky to me. Anyway...I specifically asked the "reservationist" at the Hayward location if there was a jacuzzi in the two-room suite. He said there was not. Definitely not. So I booked the room based on his promise. However, upon walking into the room, there it was in all its hideous glory. Too late to make a room change so we lived with it.

On the plus side: The room seemed to be clean. There is a little "shop" in the lobby where you can purchase snacks, drinks, etc.

On the negative side: AC was extremely noisy, waking me up when it kicked on. Towels are tiny. Limited cable TV service which frequently goes out leaving you with a "No Signal" message. Breakfast was better than nothing, but definitely the worst I've experienced when staying at one of these chain motels. The first two days we were there we encountered a women's religious group who swarmed the breakfast buffet like locusts. The motel staff couldn't keep up with the food demand, so our breakfast consisted of coffee and an apple. Upon checkout we were told the AAA discount does not apply to the suites, just the less expensive rooms. Bummer. Also, not sure where the room pictures on their website were taken, but it sure wasn't in our "luxury suite".

This is the first time we've stayed in a Fairfield Inn, and based on this experience I doubt we will stay in one again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank LindaBernieBoo
hassanfallah, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakland Hayward, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
I am sorry to see that you were disappointed . I looked into your reservation and I see you booked the room online. there is a room description and it states that Jacuuzi is in the suite. I do not know who you spoke to but when you came in if you were not happy you could have spoken with me or other staff memeber. We could have changed your room type and that would have lowered your rate/ bill. with your statment regarding the mismatched furniture, this is the theme of the room required by Marriott and that what we have in the room. there are art works in the room not that many, but there are two pieces for each room.I am not aware of any furniture missing from the room. we renovated the hotel about three years ago and with all new furnitures .
Southrn California
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I don't know if all Fairfield Inn & Suites compare, this being my first visit to the chain. I was exceedingly impressed! For the money spent, I found it to be far nicer than expected, from the lobby to the spacious and nicely appointed room, which was spotless. The "office" area of the room was extremely functional, and electric outlets quite generous - one of my pet peeves when traveling on business. The dining room was extremely large. The overall feel of the venue was quite upscale, and the staff most accommodating, going out of their way to discuss local dining options. I suspect they cater to the business crowd - close to the freeway but not in what would be considered a scenic/tourist area. There is a wide variety of fairly nice mid-priced restaurants within a five minute drive - an added plus. I will certainly be back the next time I'm in the area on business, and will be adding this venue's other locations to my radar.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JudyTheGypsy
Port Moody, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here on a recent trip thru central California and was pleased. The room was nice and spacious with plenty of parking in a good area. The breakfast buffet was good and served in a central courtyard. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank PNWtrek
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

The room is dirty. Old toilet paper shreds on the floor in bath. Lobby design is nice. Location is horrible. Can't find in the dark. Not good signage. No lights on sign. Construction going on out front. Staff seems nice.

• Stayed July 2013
hassanfallah, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakland Hayward, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I do not know of such a issue. the customer never reported it to the front desk. if it was reported we could have change the room. with regard to the contruction we have no control over that.
Tucson
Reviewed July 15, 2013

For several years, we have been using this hotel when we visit family in the area and it has been reliably very good and well maintained. The building is a 3-floor complex with a large interior courtyard where the complimentary breakfast and dining area are located in one half of the interiour courtyard. The other side is used for meetings or relaxing in the comfortable couches and chairs.

Sometimes there is a complimentary wine service in the evenings (2 days, mid-week) and the management goes out of its way to make this a homey, comfortable experience. The facility also has a fitness room (2 treadmills, an elliptical trainer, TVs, and a small weight stack), an indoor-inground spa, and a small guest laundry (bring a roll of quarters!).

When we were there last visit in June, 2013, construction was underway out front for a Subway, 7-11, and Starbucks. As the hotel is located pretty much away from any such services presently, this will be a nice addition.

Freeway access is very close by, the hotel does have an airport shuttle service, and it seems very quiet here. Inside, you can hear interior noise from other rooms.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are quieter (no one over your head stomping around) and rooms far from the elevato...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank on_the_go_98765
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayward
Hampton Inn Oakland-Hayward
Best Western Plus Inn of Hayward
La Quinta Inn & Suites Hayward Oakland Airport
Quality Inn Hayward Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Castro Valley - East Bay
Vagabond Inn Executive Hayward

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakland Hayward? Share your experiences!