“Read all the reviews, and expected better service, better room, better Internet ...”

Hampton Inn Oakland-Hayward
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Hayward
Reviewed April 16, 2012

It is such a shame that businesses have moved away from quality customer service. The conference facilitators booked this hotel for my family and I, I had read all the reviews before leaving, had called the hotel to confirm my reservation and request a microwave and bar fridge. We arrived and the from desk clerk kept asking if we had a reservation, I kept providing my name, and somehow she couldn't find us, but knew she had a room prepared with my requested items for a late check in. And our 16 month old was tired and needed to get to sleep, which I mentioned a few times, she was completely oblivious. Our friend, who lives in the Bay area, had dropped off some groceries so we wouldn't have to stop at a store to get some fruit, yogurt, cheese and milk from whole foods ... This clerk had accepted the groceries in my name (so there was a reservation under my name at 7pm, but went missing at 9:30?). Our friend had asked that the groceries be refrigerated because of the dairy, instead she had placed them behind her for 21/2 hours??? I asked for a glass or ceramic mug to heat up water to drop our 16 month old's bottle, she informed me that they have no glass or ceramic mugs on the property even though they serve a full breakfast. They use disposables for breakfast ... From styrofoam cups (which she recommended heating up the organic milk in????? She could not understand why I would be bothered with heating up the baby's milk in styrofoam? Because of my presentation the following morning, I was rehearsing and also checking for email updates from the conference facilitators and trying to get directions to the university. The Internet connection was so poor, I was never able to view my emails, or google map for directions. The next morning, many of my co-presenters were in the lobby, I was able to check in with them, and they all experienced the same problems with the free Internet offer. When i had called the front desk clerk about the problenatic internet connection, she informed me that she would call me right back, never did, i called back her back after 20 minutes had lapsed, and she informed me that it was running fine for her? Also, the sheets were not big enough for the king size bed, the bedding wasn't great, the extra pillow we asked never arrived, the sheets were not soft, instead they felt starched??? My partner liked the breakfast offering ... Everything from eggs to waffles ... Well beyond the cold continental breakfast items commonly offered. That was probably the only decent thing about the hotel. I was expecting so much better ... I have stayed in low key hotels, and in my experience, they still demonstrate an appreciation for customers and their needs, I did not get a sense that the staff cared about the customers.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PinkGypsy
Daven B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Oakland-Hayward, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

I received your comments you left on the survey that was sent to you regarding your stay. Thank you for your message. I do extremely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. It is our goal to provide only the highest level of customer service and accommodations for all our guests who choose to stay at a Hilton Family hotel and based on the details you provided in your message, we deeply regret that we have fallen short of that goal.

Unfortunately, per corporate standards we are not allowed to serve in glass or ceramic products. As far as the internet issues, I will definitely contact my vendor to see if there were any system problems during your stay. We just recently full renovated our guest rooms with new beds as well just 6 months ago and the sheets we use or “No Tuck” sheets. That’s why felt they were not big enough.

I once again deeply apologize for all the inconveniences and hope you do decide to stay with us again, and I will make sure your next stay is an enjoyable once.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

This location looks a little rough on the outside, but it almost brand new on the inside. The rooms and inside appear to have had a remodel, with flat screen Tv's, and newer looking furniture. The breakfast was alright for FREE but is nothing to write home about, they needed to have more than one waffle maker. The parking was not a problem, and there was plenty of it, but the surrounding area was questionable. The hotel appears to have some weird paperwork that they make you sign which would suggest that they have had some big problems in the past (the make you sign a NO party statement) all in all this is a good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Modern, clean, nice, spacious, a real gym (vs. most lame hotel gyms), and a few extra touches at breakfast to go beyond the normal Hampton.

It's not located in a large company business area - that is the only drawback - but it's 5 minutes to the interstate.

I stayed here for meetings in Union City and it was perfect.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Had a quick stay at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised with the fact that my room had been recently updated. Much more modern than I expected from seeing the outside. My room was very clean and comfortable and I have come to expect with all Hamptons. Check in service was very courteous and efficient. The biggest downside was that the location didn't seem that great although I am not really familiar with the general area.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Close to Oakland Airport but away from standard of Hampton Hotels. Good for a night while in transit. Will not be good for a family vacation.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank episcan
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Hampton inn at Hayward is fine but could be better for the price you pay. Although the rooms are very clean the furniture is outdated. The only exception is the the flat tv screen and the wireless (free) internet. The rest (desk, bed, couch etc) although in good condition, bring back memories from the 80's or very early 90's. Breakfast is free and includes the typical staff like any Hampton inn. The area is ok but seems very busy since I could hear from my room cars passing by the all the night. I could see a swimming pool from my room. There is a 7 eleven in walking distance. Overall the hotel is ok but could be 10-15 $ cheaper...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank grevo77
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Rooms are clean and spacious. Staff is ok. At least this time we didn't keep getting stuck in the elevator.

• Stayed: August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hayward
Best Western Plus Inn of Hayward
Quality Inn Hayward Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites Oakland - Hayward
Fairfield Inn & Suites Oakland Hayward
Hampton Inn Union City
Hampton Inn Union City
#1 of 4 in Union City
Vagabond Inn Executive Hayward

Been to Hampton Inn Oakland-Hayward? Share your experiences!