“Bijou Restaurant & Bar”

Bijou Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Bijou Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #160 of 303 Restaurants in Hayward
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Foothill
Transit: The Hayward BART station is located just a few blocks away.
Description: Bijou Restaurant & Bar, will provide the East Bay with a chic new dining option. Bijou will showcase contemporary French/California cuisine, offered at reasonable prices. Bijou’s main dining room seats 80 guests, with space for 30 in the lounge and bar and 32 on the outdoor patio. Prepared by Executive Chef Christian Nam-Hee using seasonal, fresh, often locally sourced, organic ingredients. Chef Nam-Hee, a native of France, graduated from the Ecole de Paris des Metiers de la Table in Paris. His career includes time at a number of elite French restaurants such as Le Grenadin (under 2-star Michelin Chef Patrick Cirotte), La Chaumiere and Le Bienvenue. Bijou's bar specializes in creative mixology that bridges the gap between the kitchen and the bar. Taking fresh, seasonal produce and locally distilled, artisan spirits and creating amazing cocktails.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bijou Restaurant & Bar”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My bf and I went there yesterday and had a relaxed experience. It was his first time and he loved the food and the atmosphere! We started with Mac & Cheese and Bijou frites. Then had two orders of Grilled Skirt Steak. We're Mac & cheese fans, topped off with the bread crumbs... man o man, must say it was yummy . My boyfriend enjoyed the samurai aioli the frites came with so much that we needed two extras. The steak was good - I should've asked for medium, medium well was a little too cooked for me. The only things I didn't like was that they didn't have the side of French green beans wrapped in bacon that I was REALLY looking towards for. Though it was a bit over priced, it was still good.

San Francisco, CA
“The food was lovely, the atmosphere not so much”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This dinner was originally supposed to be at least six or seven people, whittled down to two by the time the night arrived. Of course that meant only having to worry about one conversation, so it turned out just fine!

My friend and I started with a shared appetizer, the pan-seared goat cheese salad. Oh, how I wish I'd ordered my own! I'm a big fan of goat cheese and it was simply delicious.

When the waiter came back for our order, I requested a fish dish (I think it was sea bass?) that came with a mushroom risotto. (I'm sorry, I cannot recall what my friend ordered.) About five minutes later, the waiter came back and said they were out of the sea bass. It was the one thing on the menu they had run out of. Really? By 7:00 p.m. they were already out of one of only six items on their large plates list? That seemed quite unreasonable, especially considering the restaurant wasn't even half full yet. Instead I ordered another fish dish, although I can't remember exactly what it was. (They change their menus monthly, so I am unable to look up specifically what I had, and because I enjoy pretty much every fish, I rarely can recall which I have eaten.)

The fish came with mashed potatoes and steamed veggies, and was really quite delicious. My friend enjoyed her meal as well. My only complaint about the food is that they ran out of something I wanted to try at such an early hour.

My friend and I often spend about two hours enjoying our meal, and we noticed as we were finishing up that all of the tables and chairs around our table were being cleared. We thought it was a bit strange, and I commented that it seemed as though the area was becoming a dance floor. I glanced toward the street-facing window and noticed that a DJ was setting up, so it was a bit uncomfortable being the only people left at a table on what was about to become the dance floor. If we'd been in a booth, it would've been fine.

We stepped to the ladies room before leaving the restaurant, and as soon as we emerged, our table had been cleared and the dance floor was ready to go. The only other issue was that I had been unable to finish my meal and accidentally left the to-go box on the table when we went to the ladies room. Because all had been cleared by the time we returned, I forgot about the to-go box and left it behind. I wish they would've stopped me so I could have taken it with me. I was looking forward to finishing it up the following day. I didn't realize it until we'd already driven away, and I wasn't going to go back.

• Visited August 2011
San Leandro, California
“What was once nice....”
Reviewed December 15, 2010

This place was so great when it opened, very classy, trendy, great service and well maintained. What happened to that? The weekend nightclubs happened that's what.

This place is now trashed, not well cleaned, damage everywhere (patch the giant dent in the wall near the restrooms, clean the base of your stools in the bar) and the servers are clearly overwhelmed and service is suffering.

Are the food and drinks still good, yes, but the lack of maintenance has taken its toll on the place and impressions when walking in. So disappointing for a place that was once so awesome.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The most amazing food I have ever had in my entire life... nothing has even come close to how delicious everything was.”
Reviewed March 20, 2010