“Room was OK, service and convenience terrible - parking biggest complaint”

Ramada Hawthorne/LAX
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Hawthorne
“Room was OK, service and convenience terrible - parking biggest complaint”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I had spent the day in LA. We only live in San Diego but decided to find a fairly affordable hotel to stay in for the night because we were both very tired. All the hotels we were looking at were sold out for the night. We weren't too surprised since it was 11:30 on a Saturday night, but it was still getting frustrating. Finally we found this hotel and since the rate was okay (it ended up being 134 for us including tax) we went with it. The first negative experience we had came immediately after checking in. We went to park in the parking garage to the side of the hotel and ended up at the top of the second level with nowhere else to go. All the spots were full and the garage was so tight that we (and 2 other guests - one in front and one behind us) had to back out of the garage. There was a basement garage to the other side of the hotel, under the restaurant, so we decided to try our luck with that. It too was full and so small that we again had to back out of the garage. We asked the desk clerk what we should do. She suggested parking across the street or down the street in another parking garage. She did not seem to care very much about our situation. We parked across the street with no problem, but I see no reason why a hotel should run out of parking for its guests. Finally we went inside. We had no toiletries since we decided to stay last minute so we asked if the desk had any toothpaste we could have, since the little store inside had been closed since 9 pm. She looked but said there was nothing they could find but they could have toothpaste sent to our room at 8:00 the next morning if we wanted. We said that was fine and went to our room. The room was fairly nice. Large, clean, and the AC worked, which we loved. The bed was pretty comfy, and the bathroom was satisfactory. There was a random bottle opener looking thing attached to the counter in the bathroom which was kind of weird to me, but whatever. I think the remote in the bedroom was broken, but we weren't really interested in watching TV anyway, being so exhausted. Then this morning we didn't get the toothpaste till 8:40. That was annoying. When we went back down to the lobby about 5 minutes later, I noticed that the little store was supposed to open at 7am according to the posted hours but it still wasn't open. It didn't really matter for us, but some people could have really needed something. Overall, the room was fine, even the lobby was beautiful. But the parking situation was a nightmare and I feel that the desk clerk could have been more sympathetic to make the whole thing a little nicer. Also, I think the store should stick to its hours since its guests may need something. It wasn't a horrible place, but be prepared for the negative aspects of your stay.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank katiegirl2009
, Manager at Ramada Hawthorne/LAX, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
I appreciate for your compliment and concern about our parking situation you had to struggle Thank your Response we will take action on the problems you encounter, Thank you for giving us a chance and I will work on the Front Desk customer service. Once again thank you.
Sincerely
Clara Gaeta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Believe all the other reviewers here. This is the absolutely worst hotel I have ever stayed in my entire life (inside the United States).

So many things has gone wrong during my very short stay (check-in at 10pm, checkout at 8am Next day).

I know i should be fair for the hotel's management and give them a chance to explain themself here by writing details of incidents that they didnt do right. BUT, I simply could not force myself to do that - the experience was simply AWEFUL.

The hotel is of course independently own by "MR KIM" (so it said on the notice at the checkin area). And I guess I should give him some credits that at least he tried... at least the hotel and room is clean enough to spend the night..

The absolutely worst fact about this hotel is the misleading and below expectation service/experience. And I would blame this on "RAMADA" for simply allowing this place to use their name and lure people in expecting "RAMADA" standard.

Shame on RAMADA!

Actually, if the hotel is call something else, like "Easy Airport MOTEL" and charge the Motel price, then may be my expectation would be different and the overall satisfaction would be ok!

but then again, I would have never book anything with no international franchise affiliation and MOTEL!

SHAME SHAME SHAME

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The management should take more care on general maintenance and cleaning of the property, it was ok for me night but we expected more than we got.

Room Tip: Pick a corner room away from the hustle and bustle of the pool area
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Ramada Hawthorne/LAX, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Thank you for your concern we are working as much to improve out Maintenance issues, As a Guest it is really important to notify our staff of any situation that happens in the Hotel, In order for us help the guest s much as we can Thank you once again,
Sincerely
Clara Gaeta
Reviewed June 10, 2012

At first I was terrified of this place after I read all the nasty reviews on this place I even made sure to check the reviews again to make sure we didn't get the room with the bed bugs! When I got there, the first thing I saw was the lobby...it was very clean and really quite nice... Next was the receptionist, she was great, nothing like the reviews stated. she was really nice and helpful she gave me my keys and wrote down my room number...thank god it wasnt the room with the bed bugs I said to myself. Next it was the parking area, there was plenty of parking. I took the elevator (which was quite clean) to the second floor. I saw the beautiful waterfall on the first floor then I saw the pool as well. It had water in it and it was clean. I got to my room and was kind of dreading it when I was opening the door... I opened the door and it was.............NICE AND CLEAN! It also had a nice view. This hotel isn't what some of the reviews said it was. I give this hotel alot of credit. I wouldve given them 5 stars but there were no ice machines on the 2nd floor as staff said that out was out of order so I had to keep going to the first floor for it. Secondly, I needed more paper cups and garbage bags so I went to the lobby to get it and they said they would send someone up with it but I think they forgot so this time I called and they said the same thing. I thought they forgot again, but I decided to give them a little more time.he eventually came, but I did wait awhile. I only saw one bug, it was just a typical spider that probably crawled from under the door, nothing major like some of the reviews said. I also saw the fitness room and spa, it was okay. Easy access to freeways. No refrigerators or microwaves. Over all, this hotel is great. I actually got a good price on Hotwire.com. I would stay here again if I g ot the same price, but honestly I would not pay the original price to stay at this hotel because I feel like they should have more for that price. Bottom line, this hotel is not bad at all so don't be scared.I think maybe that some people really pick at things and have really HIGH expectations!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank cece408
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Usually I check all reviews but this was a last minute booking over the phone and the dude said this was the last room left. This is partially hotels.com's fault, but they claim you buy one room ($94) and parking for one week is $4 per day-- sounds great. the place looks and feels really seedy upon entering, and in the room I asked for just washed sheets to be brought because i forgot my sleepsack.I stripped the bed and only touched the floor in flip flops. I did the park/sleep/fly because my flight was at 6 am. what they dont tell you is that their shuttle does not run until 7, so I had to take a taxi which was $18 one way w tip. So there's $36 extra dollars I could have spent on a MUCH nicer hotel. oh if I could turn back time. Just disgusting.

Room Tip: here's a tip, don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Traveler_Ms_M
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

1) The location is not very close to lax
2) The people who go to the restaurant and club get all the parking NOT the hotel GUESTS, so good luck finding parking
3) The breakfast they offer looked like the Restaurant's left overs
4) The bathrooms and rooms are not clean properly (I found candy wraps underneath the bed and the bathroom was so filthy, housekeeping doesn't seem to understand the definition of clean or they just don't care)
5) There is a strong smell of marihuana in some rooms; it seems that they rent rooms by the hour, especially on the weekends (lots of drunk people making lots of noises)
6) The front desk people are not very helpful, when I couldn't find parking, I was told to park across the street ( which is a very busy intersection n u can get run over or mugged)

I stayed at cheaper hotels close to lax like super 8, motel 6, la hacienda and honestly they are way more decent than this one.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Djem1
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We went for the location to downtown for a Clippers game...whilst close enough, I would have rather stayed downtown for the few bucks more. Heard bad reviews here quite scared going in, but I did NOT HAVE ANY BED BUGS...thank god. The place was bare bones at best, we spent 7 hours in the room, its a place to crash and leave your luggage. have a drink in the room , then leave. The pool was small, but inviting, the SPA was not inviting, smelly.....bare bones...in a pinch I would go again...only in a pinch!

Room Tip: lower floors are better I am told...all the complaints on rooms where on 4th floor as I remember...w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
Hawthorne Plaza Inn
#7 of 11 in Hawthorne
Westside
Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport Hotel
LAX Area
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
#81 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Ramada Hawthorne/LAX? Share your experiences!