“Bad timing for me maybe?” 2 of 5 stars

Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Hawthorne
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Bad timing for me maybe?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel in the past, and I have had decent experiences. This past experience was not up to par. I arrived and received a friendly welcome. I went to my room, but I could not get the air conditioner to turn on (yes, I inserted my card into the slot that turns on the electrics to the room). I called down to the front desk and asked for a new room, and they said they could accommodate and for me to come down for the key. One of the people at the desk actually met me at the elevator with my new key which I thought was nice. I went to the new room, and this air conditioner seemed to work. However, after about an hour I noticed that the room was still warm. I tried adjusting the temperature to get the cold air to kick in, but it never did. I called down to the front desk, and I was told that she would call maintenance. An hour went by and no maintenance. I called down again, and the man at the front desk said he would come up and see what he could do right away. He did come up right away. I asked if he could not fix it, would maintenance come up later? His reply was, "maintenance left early tonight". He tried doing the same things I did to get the AC to work, then unplugged the AC and restarted it. This seemed to work, so I thought I was good to go. In about 15 minutes the AC cold air stopped (fan kept going but no cold air). I waited for the cold air to come on again, but it never did. I opened the window to get some fresh air, but the noise from the street outside was too much. I could have asked for a new room, but it was late and I was so tired that I just decided to stay where I was. My sleep was restless as awoke a few times during the night ... taking the blanket off ... putting it back on.

The next morning, I got up early as I could not sleep anymore in the warm conditions. I decided to go for a jog by the beach. So I drove down to Manhattan Beach. When I returned the parking lot was full. They had a special event going on in their courtyard, and all the people attending took up all the spaces in the parking lot. So, I had to park across the street.

All in all, it could have just been bad timing. But, if you are looking for a more high end hotel, this might not be the place to stay. What kind of high end hotel lets their maintenance personnel leave early? Most places have maintenance full time as far as I know. Also, what kind of high end hotel makes you park across the street?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear TXtraveler1111,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a candid review of your recent experience at our hotel. Our deepest apologies that the accommodations were anything less than exceptional. We truly strive to offer the utmost professional services and are terribly saddened to see that during your stay, we did not succeed in that goal. Our sincerest apologies for the crowded parking lot as well. We do hope you reconsider staying with us in the future and thank you again.

Dave Lagarce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Sun City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach/Hawthorn because I was attending a 3 day workshop there. The room was beautiful and spacious - check the photos on their web site. The food at the restaurant was excellent. And the staff were so gracious and accommodating. I must point out two staff members for their EXCELLENT customer service: Ken at the front desk and Vanessa in the dining room. I recommend the Ayres Hotel to everyone now! It was my first experience with the Ayres Hotel, and I will now make it my place to stay when I am traveling.

Dear Marta S.,

Thank you for leaving a review on TripAdvisor to let others know about your experience at our hotel. It is nice to see that you thought your room to be beautiful and spacious, we truly strive to offer these type of accommodations and are so glad to see that you thought so. Thank you for noticing our team members that went above and beyond for you, they will surely be notified of your appreciation. Thank you again for your kind review and we hope to see you in the near future.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here for three nights for a conference at Northrop. The hotel was within walking distance of the conference, though walking in LA isn't particularly pleasant. The Ayres is decorated in a luxurious Old European style, which is very attractive and well done with marble statues and oil paintings, etc. The decor feels a little odd because the hotel is fairly new, yet it is meant to imitate an old hotel. Still nice overall, especially the central open air courtyard.

My room was spacious, well decorated, and very clean. Sleep quality was also excellent. The WiFi was free and fast, which is a major plus on business trips. The water pressure was a bit weak, but that is a minor niggle.

The staff was courteous and attentive, with a quick check-in, check-out, and helpful recommendations. I rented a bike from the hotel and rode down to Manhattan Beach Pier, an activity I would highly recommend. There are plenty of places to eat near-by, though in typical LA style, everything is really built around cars. The area around the hotel isn't particularly attractive, with a Costco across the street, but again, typical LA.

Breakfast was included in my stay via vouchers and was very competently prepared and served.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel if you have business in the area. If I was there for pleasure, I'd probably look for something right in Manhattan Beach, though the hotel does run a shuttle there.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I went to a 3 day meeting at the Ayres Hotel. The atmosphere and decor was charming. It was decorated like a European hotel complete with original oil paintings. The staff was very pleasant and friendly.

I stayed in a room on the 1st floor so it had 18 foot high ceilings with tall windows. The king size bed was very comfortable and the room was large with a desk, couch and table with 2 chairs.

The restaurant's food was delicious, and the service was good. Even the lunches served for the meeting were delicious.

All in all, it was a delightful experience.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms, but my king room on the first floor was great.
    • 3 of 5 stars
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Ayers was a great find for us, needed a place to stay for a couple of nights for a business meeting. The staff were friendly and helpful, the catering staff were excellent (we sponsored an event there one evening) and the Matisse restaurant group were also very personable and served a quality meal. Just an overall great experience.

Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. Had to change rooms due to an elephant in the room above. Was kindly moved to an executive suite which was not what I would call executive. The suite was large and sparce furniture, also the furniture and the carpet were dirty, I would not take my shoes off! When we first walked into the hotel I was very impressed, but the rooms were a huge disappointment compared to the lobby. Gym was nice, food was ok at breakfast. Would not stay here again as is also right next to the freeway.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Rachel S.,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a candid review on TripAdvisor to let others know about your experience at our hotel. While we are pleased to see that you thought the grounds were exceptional, we are saddened to see that you thought otherwise of the room accommodations. We typically get great compliments on the decor and cleanliness, so we are deeply apologetic if you felt at all uncomfortable. We do hope you reconsider staying with us in the future and hope to see you again soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Okay how shall I start beautiful hotel very clean not sure about the expectation of the staff the lady manger Christina on Sunday was extremely rude I'm not quite sure what type of expectations they hold for mangers but she was not accommodating at all. All I wanted was a towel I had to leave from my room because she did not pick up the phone for one for two she was talking to me as if I were a toddler I can understand she has other work to do but why work at a hotel as a manger if your going to be rude. But as long as she not working when you stay it will fine. This is my second stay there but never had this occur. Hope you guys have a better time than I did thanks everyone I'll tell my boss Hilton next time.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
5 Thank Anniewilson
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Anniewilson,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a candid review of our hotel on TripAdvisor to let others know about your experience. Our sincerest apologies for the lack of professionalism and friendliness from one of our team members during your stay. At Ayres Hotels our motto is, "We care about people" so rest assured, I will be sure to reiterate this with the team. We do hope you reconsider staying with us in the future and again, our deepest apologies for the unpleasant service.

Dave Lagarce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
The Belamar Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 628 reviews

Been to Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne? Share your experiences!