“"The second time around, to me, was better than the first time!"”

Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hawthorne
GreenLeadersGold level
“"The second time around, to me, was better than the first time!"”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

My stay on Mother's day weekend was as relaxing and pleasant as my first stay at this hotel. I was checked in to the room in the area of the hotel that I requested. The staff was once again welcoming and attentive and the stroll through the beautifully designed hallway to my room was reminiscent of visiting museums in Rome. When I opened the door of my room, I literally took a deep breath and sighed; anticipating the relaxing evening in the luxurious decor. I was not disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Outstanding service, Ian Romery's award winning attitude was a major reason my family and I opted to stay ay the Ayers two additional days. The suite we stayed in was very clean, the housekeeping staff was extremely friendly, and the free parking, Wi-Fi, & breakfast proved how important it is for this hotel to provide superior service. My next visit to California will include a stay in an Ayers Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Birmingham
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently and must say we were very pleased with the Hotel. The Hotel has an ambiance which is more European then your standard American Hotel, which we both enjoyed. Our room opened onto an Italian styled courtyard with tables, a nice pool and a hot tub which we both used. They had a very nice breakfast buffet which was included in the price. We also had both dinner and room service and found the food and service to be first rate.
My wife mentioned to me many times how much she enjoyed the room, as I had to leave her there for much of the day when I left for business. She made full use of the courtyard and pool. There were a few small trees and shrubs that separated the pool from the tables in the courtyard giving her some level of privacy. In the bath area in the room there was a small refrigerator and microwave located under a marble counter top.
The hotel is located well off the beach but a shuttle was available to take guests there, though we did not use it. There are some restaurants and shops just across the street from the hotel and I felt very safe walking around the area
I would recommend this hotel highly to anyone who needs to stay in this area of the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I would not have discovered this little gem if it hadn't been for a review on Trip Advisor from two fb friends that caught my eye. My 13 year old daughter and I came here for a long weekend getaway.to celebrate her life. I wanted the hotel to be extra special, yet affordable. Ayres Hotel was just that. The very moment you walk into the lobby you feel surrounded by an old world charm with exquisite chandeliers, tapestries, and antique furnishings. The employees at the front desk are very welcoming and always friendly. The room we stayed in, room 114, was extra special because it had high ceilings and a door to the courtyard. The bed was so extra comfortable, I did not want to go back to sleeping in my own bed. My only complaint was that the shampoo/conditioner was terrible. We forgot to bring our own, so had to use what the hotel provided. And the pool was nothing great. It was small and not very warm. But we were so close to the ocean, we wouldn't have used it much anyway. If you want a very comfortable and fairly luxurious place to stay that is close to beaches, airport, and LA freeways, this is a great place. 5 min. to beaches or airport. 30 - 60 min. to downtown, depending on traffic. 30 min to Long Beach, no traffic.

Room Tip: First floor rooms with courtyard views, have doors that open out to the courtyard. At least room 11...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KelleyJC
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel went far beyond my expectations The décor is to a high standard and the hotel is very clean. Upon arrival we were given a room on the second floor facing the highway-we didn't hear a thing! The beds are extremely comfortable and the room was very spacious. The down side was a squeaky floor board above which was the last thing you want to hear after an 11 hour flight and -8 hour time change. The front desk staff were extremely accommodating and we were moved to a fourth floor room which was even larger! A big thumbs up to Jose who was extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast was reasonable, the usual bacon/eggs/waffles and fruit etc. which was included in the room price.The hotel location was central to the activities we had planned. At most a 45 minute car journey or less to Universal Studios or Santa Monica. I would definitely recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Everything about the place was great, from the moment we were greeted upon checking in by the friendly and attentive staff. The room (on the ground floor, opening onto the courtyard and swimming pool) was beautiful and spacious with very a high ceiling, nice decor and enormous and very comfortable bed.

We stayed 2 nights after flying into LAX and the location for the airport is convenient. As soon as you arrive, the place is an oasis of calm - just what was needed after a long flight. The breakfasts were good (we didn't try the restaurant in the evenings) and the staff were great. They were always friendly and attentive and nothing was any trouble for them - for example I'd broken my ankle 4 weeks before my visit and was still limping a bit and the front desk staff noticed my limp and asked if I needed any ice or a compress etc.

One small gripe was I expected from the hotel blurb to be closer to Manhattan beach. It's not walking distance, especially in the heat in the summer. The shuttle to the beach from the hotel was fantastic though, so it wasn't much of an issue. The beach is well worth a visit and their are loads of restuarants and bars along the beachfront and on the street up to it, which are definately worth trying.

Plenty of airline staff were checking in and out whilst we were there, which is always a good sign the hotel is of good quality and I'd definitely recommend it and would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Courtyard room was fantastic, quiet and very spacious and the ground floor rooms have very high ceil...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed four nights this past weekend. It was the second time I've stayed at this hotel. Will certainly do it again, perfect location, right on the 405, but NOT noisy. Ian was the cutie, efficient and wonderful, who checked us in, and he was more than fabulous, funny and friendly every time we saw him when we came in for the night - the entire staff VERY friendly and nice. VERY comfortable beds and pillows! Housekeeping missed a few obvious things (both visits) nothing earth-shattering or too gross but still, otherwise it'd be a perfect 5!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear IGetItNow -

Thank you so much for your positive review. It was wonderful having the chance to welcome you for a second time recently. We are always happy to hear that a guest has found his or her second stay as comfortable as the first. We really want that fifth star, so please give us a third chance to do it perfectly. Thank you again!

Regards,

Dave Lagarce
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
The Belamar Hotel
The Sea View Inn at the Beach
The Sea View Inn at the Beach
#2 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles/Redondo Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne? Share your experiences!