“My Idea of a Very Good Hotel”

Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Hawthorne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My wife and I stayed two night at this very nice hotel. We only knew about Ayres hotels from the Internet. EXCELLENT: staff, breakfast, room decor, bed comfort, free Internet,free parking, artwork throughout the hotel. GOOD: location less than 5 miles from the airport and Manhattan Beach, courtyard (too cool for us to use it), tv (barely turned it on). COULD BE BETTER: a no-frills shower and a window unit that made more noise than usual. All in all, the good and excellent were really good and totally excellent and the not so good weren't problems. This is a well-run hotel with a top-notch staff. We definitely are glad we stayed there.

Room Tip: The fourth floor rooms have high ceilings; the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms do not. Don't pick the fo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

Dear Snoopy234 -

Thank you so much for choosing the Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach for your stay and for taking the time to let fellow travelers know about our hotel. Great care is taken with every aspect of the hotel, so I am pleased to know that your stay with us was exceptional. Perhaps on your next visit you will have the opportunity to dine at our on site restaurant, Matisse Restaurant. We look forward to your return

Reviewed March 3, 2012

The Ayres Hotel in Hawthorne ranks high in both service and style. The staff are friendly and attentive. The styling is really unique and well done. This is definitely not a stamped-out hotel. It is elegant and interesting. I love the paintings everywhere, and the statuary is a nice touch.

I appreciated the call received shortly after check-in to make sure the room was satisfactory. I am not shy about asking for a different room if everything isn't perfect; but to have the hotel invite me to do so shows an unusual commitment to guest satisfaction.

There are several things that I consider important, and this hotel scores well on all but one. First, and most important, the rooms are quiet, the bed is comfortable and the air conditioning does not make disturbing noises. I am a very light sleeper, and I like to be able to set the fan to run continuously. You can do this at Ayres Hawthorne, and the cycling of the compressor is noiseless.

Second, Internet access is free and reasonably fast. They have both wireless and wired access.

Third, and the place were Ayres Hawthorne falls short, is the in-room coffeemaker. They provide one, but it is what I call a "toy coffeemaker" which only works with the provided disposable tray and meager dose of coffee in a teabag-like pouch. This is supposed to make one cup of coffee, but it is a very weak brew, even filling the provided cup only half full. Good coffee is a core value for me, and I am happiest when I can make it the way I like. This usually involves providing my own coffee and filters and I'm fine with that. What I *don't* like is when the hotel provides a coffeemaker that prevents me from doing this. While the toy coffeemaker can be hacked (by throwing away the "tea bag," wrapping my own coffee in a couple of coffee filters and stuffing it into the little tray,) this is not convenient.

Fourth, the included breakfast is pretty good. The scrambled eggs are not overcooked, and I like that.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Robert -

Thank you very much for your thorough and kind review of Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach. I am pleased that we were able to provide you with service and amenities that made for a comfortable stay as guest comfort and satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us. While I am glad you enjoyed the room overall, I am sorry if the coffeemaker led to any sort of inconvenience. Please know that we take guest comments very seriously and review our amenity offerings on a regular basis so your comments will be shared with our corporate Quality Team. Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

We stayed at this location as we flew into LAX. It was easy to find, and there were great options for eating around us (the hotel menu was adequate, but not what we wanted).

The room (suite) was immaculate, and the rooms were quiet and so comfortable! Way more room than what we needed for one night, but the deep soaking tub made it SO worth it after our long flight!

We didn't use the pool, but it was small, and we wouldn't stay there to be able to use it (so not ideal if you're wanting a hotel with a great pool). However, it wasn't far from the beach - and that would be more fun anyways!

The buffet was very sparse, however we were able to get enough to eat...just not many choices.

Room Tip: The suite was amazing, and the soaking tub was wonderfully relaxing (though not a 2 person tub). See...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Dear Mmbromley -

It was an honor having you as a guest of our hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to inform others about Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach, including our service, location, and amenities. I am pleased that these various elements contributed to a comfortable stay and that you left us fully satisfied. We do revisit our breakfast options often, so will keep your comments in mind upon our next review. Perhaps on your next visit you will find something that piques your interest at Matisse Restaurant. We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

This was one of the best hotel experiences I've had. A stunning historically-recreated hotel with original artworks in every hallway, and architecture inspired by the French Renaissance. The rate was phenomenal, they don't nickel and dime you (full hot breakfast for all room members every morning in the stunning dining room, free in-room internet, free parking), the rooms were beautifully designed, the hotel was silent, even though there was a wedding going on, the staff accommodated our requests before we even arrived, and were very welcoming. Every convenience is provided from in-room fridges and microwaves to self-serve laundry to a fitness room and rental bikes. The rooms surround a spectacular European-style courtyard with pool, hottub, fountain, and lounge area. Every detail is attended to. Most importantly, the hotel is conveniently located only 10 minutes from LAX (you don't hear any planes or highway traffic), and only a 5 minute drive from trendy and beautiful Manhattan Beach, with tons of restaurants and outdoor activities. I will look forward to staying at the Ayres again. I traveled for business, but would love to return just for fun.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over-looking the courtyard.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2012

Dear DC -

Thank you so much for taking the time to so thoroughly review our hotel. I appreciate your kind words regarding the decor and various amenities and am pleased they made for a comfortable hotel experience. I work with a wonderful team that takes pride in every aspect of the hotel, so I will be sure to pass along your comments. Perhaps on your next visit you will have the opportunity to dine at our on site restaurant, Matisse. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

One of those hotels that makes you enjoy traveling. A luxury hotel feel with an affordable price.

Free breakfast, FREE INTERNET, washing machines, great staff, and an amazing restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2012

Dear William -

It was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest. Thank you for choosing the Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach for your stay and for your kind words. It is always a joy to learn that we have made a guest's stay comfortable and satisfying. I am pleased you found all of the amenities, including Matisse Restaurant, to your liking. We hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

the hotel was very clean, nicely decorated and we really enjoyed our brief stay. breakfast was included and was delicious and very expansive. our double queen room even had a partial wall dividing the two beds, which was nice for privacy. we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Dear Char a -

Thank you so much for taking the time to inform fellow travelers about our hotel. Your kind words regarding the cleanliness, amenities, and complimentary breakfast are much appreciated, and I am very pleased they led to an enjoyable stay. Perhaps you can visit us again in the near future and eat at our on site restaurant or even visit nearby Manhattan Beach. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

i have discovered the Ayres Hotel in Hawthorne in 2006, and have been a regular since 2007. I go to the LA mostly for business, and even if far away from downtown locations, the hotel provides me with a warm and hospitale welcome that makes me feel like at home. staff and standards are high, having made of this hotel my base when in LA.

Dear Winegypsy-

Thank you so much for your kind review and for your continued patronage. I am so pleased that you have found the accommodations and service pleasant enough that you have returned for so many years. It is always such a pleasure to welcome repeat guests and get to know them over time. Perhaps on your next visit you will have the chance to eat at Matisse Restaurant in the hotel. We look forward to your return.

Dave Lagarce

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
The Belamar Hotel
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach / Hawthorne? Share your experiences!