“Great value in LA Beach Cities”

SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Hawthorne
Reviewed March 3, 2010

I travel for a living, and am very critical of hotels at all levels. This hotel is one that I paid for my own leisure travel (I always am looking for quality, budget friendly hotels for my personal travel) and I have to say that this will be my home away from home when I visit the LA area. The service, from the front desk to housekeeping to breakfast attendants, was very friendly and I felt safe leaving my vehicle in their well lit parking lot each night. Breakfast was delicious, and my room was comfortable, clean, and had plenty of space for two people. The TV was updated, and I enjoy the sink area being separate from the shower/toilet. This is in Manhattan Beach so it is better for people visiting the coast/Disneyland etc. than those focused more on Hollywood/Universal Studios, but if you don't mind the drive I would prefer staying here to many hotels in those areas regardless. There is plenty of shopping in this area and great restaurants - Trader Joe's is also a block away if you want to stock your fridge!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach

Reviewed February 3, 2010

The hotel had free breakfast and free parking, that and the daily rate made it the best hotel in town. Not far from the airport and very convenient to the shopping areas nearby. A very good value in a safe and comfortable environment.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2010

We booked a 4 day stay here in August, 2009 because of a need for a wheelchair roll-in shower for an elderly parent. Ours was a party of 6, 2 rooms of 2 each (one with the wheelchair roll-in shower) for 4 nights plus an additional 2 in a third room for one night). When we arrived, the desk clerk said our room with the roll-in shower was "not clean" and the only remaining accessible rooms had a combination tub bath. The clerk tried to find someone available to clean the room but the remaining staff had not been trained to clean rooms. She promised the reserved room for the next day. The next morning, I inquired about our room and the day clerk said it was not available - the party had extended their stay through our expected stay. She offered another room on the next floor down which had the exact same set-up as the one we currently had - or a larger room in a neighboring Marriott that had a full kitchen, but, no complimentary breakfast, for the same rate. I suspect that they overbooked our original reservation - so why bother making a reservation when they're going to screw it up anyway. I don't understand the offering of an identical room to our current set up - and I couldn't rely on the availabiity at the neighboring facility - these clerks had lost all credibility by this time and would apparently say anything to you to get you away from the desk before you discover that they gave you lip service. Our personal room was fine though a little crampt. The bed was very comfortable, although the A/C unit was right next to it and blew right across the bed making it very drafty. We had to shut the unit down at night to avoid sleeping in a cool draft. The complimentary breakfast was nothing to write home about and the set-up seems like an afterthought - the egg patties looked like small pancakes and if you got there too late, like 8:15 AM, forget about getting any food - people descend like hungry vultures after 8 AM and the place turns into a zoo of hungry, irritated people. The kitchen can't re-supply fast enough and what is brought out is gone before the staff can return to the kitchen. The cook-your-own Belgian waffles are good, but, the process is slow and if you're lucky, there will still be some batter left over for you to make yours. The eating area is way too small - they did open a neighboring room on our third day, but, it wasn't enough. We gave up on breakfast after the second day and ate out because the elderly can't move at that schedule or pace and the quality wasn't worth the hassle. There are only two elevators serving 5 upper floors so expect a long wait during busy times. The excercise room is nice (4 machines + free weights), but, not kept supplied with towels, we had to ask for more towels on more than one occaision - but, they have cold, filtered water in there which is a plus - whoopee. One of our rooms (the overnighter) was not clean (ironic since this was the excuse we were initially given for the handicap room that we never got) but, the others were fine. I have never heard so many complaints from other patrons as I have during our stay here. I cannot recommend this facility if you have special needs. If you're fully mobile and just 1 or 2, it can work for you - the rates are pretty reasonable and the location is good. Note that on the upper floors, the handicap accessible rooms are on the ends of the halls closest to the stairwells (probably for emergency evacuation purposes) which puts them a fair distance from the elevators which are at the center of the floors. Oh, the so called "guaranteed response" comment card did not generate a response from the management even though it was submitted on the second day of our stay - that says something about the management. Location is good with easy access to the freeway. The hotel seems isolated, but, there are a number of restaurants and fast food nearby on Rosecrans and many within a 1-2 mile radius. Costco (with gas) is around the block. We didn't expect luxury, but, boy, What a disappointment. Marriott should be able to do better than this.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2009

We stayed there for a week recently. The staff were very courteous. The rooms were OK although it is starting to show its age.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I stayed here for a night before flying to Australia from LAX. The room itself was fine with no real complaints there. My only shortcomings would be 1) the internet access was spotty and would frequently drop a connection, and 2) the breakfast was average and crowded- although free! In spite of these two issues, I would recommend it to people. I had a car and it was nice to drive to Manhattan Beach at sunset.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Good hotel - excellent location before taking flight from LAX.
Not sure I would stay here if I wasn't using LAX. Friendly staff and room was spacious.

Breakfast was OK and was complimentary as was Internet Access.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed for two nights in the middle of Sept 2009.

The hotel was located very close to LAX and even closer to the place we picked up our rental car. It was very convenient and easy to find.

Location SEEMS kind of isolated from restaurants at first but there are LOTS of places to eat on the surrounding streets. Just take a little drive around and you're good to go- lots of options!!

We were able to check in early with absolutely no problem (10am). We had requested a king bed but were told upon arrival that they only had a room with two double beds available. I got this hotel on the Marriott Friends/Family rate (VERY cheap) so didn't stress too much about the bed situation. They apologized and told us we could check in with them later to see if there had been any cancellations and could be moved (which we never did but it was a nice offer).

The room was bigger than just about any regular hotel room I have been in. It had a big bedroom area with a tv, a smaller "living room" area with a couch, a desk and another tv, and a little kitchenette area with a small fridge and a microwave. The bathroom was large (and clean!) and my only complaint is that it lacked a bathroom fan of any sort.

The best thing about this room was the bed- it was THE MOST comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. The sheets were crisp, the pillows were very comfortable, and the mattress was so so so comfortable.

The free breakfast was excellent- Waffle maker, cereal, yogurt, sausage and eggs, bagels, english muffins, juice, coffee. I found that the breakfast items were continually being replenished up until 9am (end time).

Check out was quick and easy and the staff was very pleasant. Oh, and the pool/hot tub was private and adequate.

Overall, my experience at this hotel was great and I would absolutely stay here again next time I visit LA.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rkomenski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
Manhattan Beach Marriott
The Belamar Hotel
The Belamar Hotel
#3 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach

Been to SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach? Share your experiences!