SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
El Rancho Inn(Hawthorne)
$90
$82
Priceline
All reviewsmanhattan beachsofa bedyogurtsmall kitchenwaffle makeraviation blvdfree breakfastfree parkingenjoyed my stayconvenient locationmini fridgestayed one nightfitness centerrental carclose to the airportlaxsink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I spent an hour in the lobby using the computer there at midnight at this hotel because the "free" wifi in room is slow, c. 1996. It is a ploy to upgrade, as our devices worked just fine the entire day. As I sat there overhead desk clerk saying there were drugs on the 5th floor. The hotel was not a good representative of Springhill Suites. It seemed old and dirty. Granted, the airport area is not the nicest, but I expected better, and found better the following night in Fresno for much less money. My gov't discount was also not honored here, but was at the other SS in the state of CA. I will mention that the young guy who checked us in was very perky and helpful.

Room Tip: not by elevator
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank wendyc1970
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Very close to LAX airport and Manhattan Beach. A short walk away from a few supermarkets, restaurants, clothing stores and banks.

Excellent breakfast, Nice Gym, great pool area and helpful staff.

Rooms where always very clean, very spacious rooms and free WiFi.

I would recommend this hotel for both short and long stay.

Room Tip: 6th Floor very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Nice and clean, newer property. They have two bedroom suites which is hard yo find in a Marrriott property. Family friendly and an excellent location just a mile southeast of LAX. Blocks from the 405, with lots of restaurants within a mile radius.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

We checked in as a family of 5 in their double studio with sofa bed and accommodated all 3 adults, 1 teen & 1 tween conveniently. The room has its own microwave oven, kitchen sink & coffee maker, perfect for long staying conditions. The hotel served its purpose for our 14 day stay in LA.

Overall the hotel can be rated (at best) 2 out of 5 stars.

The good:
Close to the beach (we loved Manhattan Beach, Sta Monica Pier, Redondo Beach & Venice Beach), free parking, nice location (near Aviation Park, restos, shopping malls, accessible highways to downtown & central LA, going south-east to Disney etc. ) & access to persons with disability

Hotel staff at reception was very helpful and understanding of our concerns

The Bad:
I have been to more than 50 hotels (from 1-5 star) globally and their housekeeping is the worst I have seen to date - they need to be re-oriented to the word "cleaning". Does not know the difference between dirt, vacuum, stain, wash. The hotel room is carpeted and rubbish (bread crumbs, sand etc.) can be seen or felt while walking bare foot. My whole family had to wear slippers and/or socks inside the room. You can see footprint stains inside the bathroom floor, the microwave was never cleaned inside and out, the coffee mugs and glasses were not washed, we had to buy dishwashing liquid and instruct the housekeeper to wash the dishes on our first 3 days. They are either inconsistent, untrained or does not have a standard understanding how to clean the rooms, even other furnishings and fixtures were dusty. We complained twice, with the exception of our complaint being recorded, no improvement from housekeeping still.

Breakfast buffet is simple and basic, always full of people regardless of day or time. Location small. Variety? none - Not advisable to take up breakfast if you book, better to eat out

Gym and pool is very small but functional.

This is not the Marriott standard that we came to know about. It is below par - will I recommend this to my friends or come back and book in this hotel again?

Not in the immediate future. (say 6-12 months?)

Value for your money? With the level of service you will get from housekeeping i'd say it is highway robbery.

They should strive to improve housekeeping by about 100%. Only then will I recommend and come back to this hotel.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank cjacob28
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I am a Marriott Rewards Member because my work requires me to travel a lot. I like how I know that wherever I go that there is a clean and comfortable marriott where I can rest. Well unfortunately there is an exception to every rule.

The first thing that I noticed about this Marriott is that the people at the front desk did not look professional. Usually at Marriott the staff is very professional and wears some type of business attire. The staff here wears industrial looking blue work clothes that is what I expect to see at a Jiffy Lube. When you ask the staff for anything there is a lack of courtesy and the grammar is not so great either. A typical response to any question is that this is not a full service Marriott. If you try to call to ask for anything day or Night there is at least a 50% chance that you will get voicemail.

Don't expect the room to be clean after the housekeepers are done because it will not be.

The place appears to be infested with bed bugs because I got bites all over.

The elevators are slower than molasses and appear to be industrial freight elevators because the stainless steel is scratched up from floor to ceiling. This reflects how the staff and owners of the building view their guests as cargo.

The food is also never fully stocked so guests have to run to get the small portions before it is gone. Of course the food tastes bad so maybe it is not so terrible that there is not enough of it.

This place is also expensive. If you can stay anywhere else in the area, especially the full service Manhattan beach Marriott on Park, you will be much better off.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business