“An average place to stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach

SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Hawthorne
Pasadena, California
“An average place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Location is convenient to LAX and to the surrounding Manhattan Beach area. Just minutes from bustling Sepulveda Blvd with its restaurants and shopping. Room was clean enough.

I asked for a high floor room facing north (away from the tracks) and away from the elevator. I got a room about two floors from the top and only three away from the elevator, even though there were a good dozen+ rooms further in. I did face north and didn't experience any street noise aside from the occasional car locking up with a short horn blast.

The hotel must have been about 50-60% capacity (based on parking lot fullness at 7 am), so again not sure why I couldn't get a room further from the elevator (and I'm Silver elite which isn't great but it's something). Also not sure why they had to pack in the guests all next to each other (all of the units next to me and across from me were filled) when the hotel clearly had more space. I heard very clearly the conversations, bodily noises, door slams, and most of the movements on the bed of the room adjacent to me. Poor construction and poor assigning of rooms, in my opinion.

As many have stated, the elevators are awfully awfully slow, so take the stairs at either end of the hall.

Maybe this was an off-week for the property, but it sure didn't attract the highest level of guests the weekend I stayed. There were middle-aged men already fully drunk at 5 in the afternoon, holding beers in the elevators telling very crude jokes, and the elevator reeked of alcohol throughout the evening. I know the hotel can't filter out these guests in advance, so it just shows you what kinds of guests frequent here. Also, a lot of rough looking guests overall, many drinking and smoking around the property. Definitely not my usual Marriott experience. Fork over the money and stay in one of the nicer hotels on Century Blvd closer to LAX, the clientele are classier.

Breakfast was well stocked at 8 am on a Saturday and the dining area was surprisingly full of guests - I guess mostly tourists up early to explore the city. The turkey sausage patty looked very disturbingly grey/brown/dried up look/texture so I avoided.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
laxhw, Manager at SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of you experience at the SpringHill Suites Manhattan Beach. We are glad that you found our location to be clean and convenient to LAX and the surrounding area. Please accept our apologies that we were not able to get your room in the exact location of your preference. We do our best to block these requests in advance based on availability. While the parking area may have not been full, this is not always a good indicator of the hotels occupancy as many of our guests do not drive to the property and we have more than enough parking to accommodate the entire hotel. It’s unfortunate that other guests in the hotel diminished from your overall experience. Please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future to address any issues that may be negatively impacting your overall satisfaction. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott as a Silver Elite Member. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel room was a good room or suite as they call it. Good AC on the room area but hot in the living room area. Staff not that friendly but do their job. When it came to breakfast it was a complete nightmare. They have a very small breakfast area with lines getting to the reception area and a tiny cabinet to display the food. By the time you make it to the food the plates and bowls are empty. It took the employees over10 minutes to replenish the food and the line still growing. Then no place to eat your breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
laxhw, Manager at SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for the review of your experience at the SpringHill Suites. We appreciate the comments you shared as it helps us to make improvements to the services we provide. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced at breakfast. While we can’t control the times that everyone comes down to the breakfast area, we try to anticipate when our peak times will be according to the occupancy of the hotel. During these peak times, we make every attempt to keep the food replenished to help keep the lines to a minimum. In addition, we recognize that the seating available in the breakfast area is not enough to accommodate everyone during our peak times. We have trained our staff to use alternate areas like our meeting rooms and even outside by the pool area when this happens. We apologize if these options were not made available to you on this visit. Thank you again for sharing your experience and helping us to make improvements. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Michigan, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Our overall stay was pleasant. Here are the pros/cons in my opinion...
Pro:
Location
Room size
Amenities

Cons:
Elevator
Breakfast Mob

The location is great, not too far from the beach, great shopping and restaurants. The room size was good, it gives you a that little extra space to help you not feel so cramped. The housekeeping was well maintained, and the amenities were beneficial.
However, the elevators were VERY slow. There were always people waiting in line downstairs (main floor) to go up. Also, the breakfast selection were pretty good, but the amount of people down there was overwhelming. I know the hotel can not control how many people come down to eat, but perhaps they can redesign the breakfast area to make it more accessible, when it is busy.

I would consider staying here when I visit again, if the price is right. We got a pretty good deal.

Room Tip: You don't need to stay on a high floor, there is nothing much to see around the property. If you...
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for the review of the property. We are glad that the pros outweighed the cons during your stay and you felt like the hotel was a good value for your experience. We are always looking for ways to better service the guest demand for elevators and breakfast especially during busy times. We will continue to look at options for redesign when these opportunities are available. Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

For a small rate this Hotel gives you a lot. Very good rooms with amenities and very good service. The people are very nice and courteous. We were greeted very nicely even in the mid night. The added advantages are free Wifi and free breakfast and needless to say that the breakfast had everything you expect in Continental breakfast.

• 5 of 5 stars
laxhw, Manager at SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We appreciate the positive comments you shared about service from the staff and amenities at the hotel. We are glad that you found the property to be a good value for your money.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The rooms are cleaned although the carpet definitely needs to cleaned as there were many stains. The service was excellent as I arrived early and they were very accommodating in getting me a room immediately. The breakfast area is small however food was adequate.

Room Tip: End of hall much quieter
    • 4 of 5 stars
laxhw, Manager at SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for the positive review of your experience at the SpringHill Suites. We are very pleased that you received excellent service and that we were able to honor your request for an early check-in. Please accept our apologies for the condition of the carpet in your guest room. We have shared your feedback with our outside carpet cleaning vendor to ensure this issue is addressed immediately. Thank you for choosing Marriott for your hotel needs.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Overall a good stay. The location was convenient for a visit to Manhattan Beach, though it is quite far from the beach. The room was large albeit outdated - but clean. Free breakfast was great (just crowded..) but more than anything, the rate was unbeatable!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for submitting a positive review of the property. We are glad that you found the hotel to be clean, convenient and a good value. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a perfectly lovely property, however, my most recent stay was anything but lovely. It had nothing to do with the physical accommodations, which were fine. It has to do with sustained loud noise, loud taking over one another, screaming, laughing etc., or more than two hours in the room next door to mine. I first called the room myself and ask them to "tone it down just a bit, please." When that didn't work, I called the front desk and told them it had been going on for more than two hours and the woman who answered the phone said she would call them. Shortly thereafter, I called the front desk again, reaching the same woman again, asked her to listen to the noise and I held the phone up to the wall so she could hear. She then told me and I wrote it down immediately as I was gobsmacked by her comment of "Its only 8:30 on Saturday night and they are allowed to make noise." I got so mad I slammed down the phone, cooled off and then went to see her at the front desk. This is where we got into it. Naturally, she tried to "talk over me" but was having none of it. I reminded her of what she said about noise being allowed on a Saturday night and how I take difference to that. Then she denied saying it, which only brought back my anger. I told her at if she didn't do anything I would resort to calling the police. I then asked who was in charge and she said she was---and I said well, that's pretty scary. Then she chose to start arguing with me. That is when I said, "oh, honey, you have made a big mistake by arguing with me. I reminder her of my name and that she would be hearing it again and not in a positive light.

I called the police, they arrived in about 15 minutes and convinced the room full of 8-10 women (in a room where the fire code only allows 5) to move....they also got agreement from the woman at the front desk. (I was asked if wanted to move to another room and I said, no, they arrived after I did, they should have to move.)

As the noisy women packed to move, they continued to get louder and louder and as they left the room, they cackled, whistled, laughed, screamed and acted like children.

It should be the hotel's responsibility to get guest to stop such unacceptable noise, especially after another guest has respectfully asked the noise makers to "tone it down, please." But no, this front desk woman could not be bothered but the Hawthorne, CA police certainly got her to change her tune.

Before staying here contact the Operations Manage, Justin Tardo @ 310-727-9595, Justin.tardo@marriott.com to inquire what their "noise policy" is and if it would be necessary to call the police if noise got out of hand.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
laxhw, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
JimTexas,

Thank you for submitting a review of your experience and for speaking with me directly regarding your concerns. Again, please accept my sincerely apologies for the inconvenience you experienced from the noise caused by other guests in the hotel and the fact that it was not resolved to your satisfaction by our staff. As I indicated in our conversation, we did dispatch our Security staff to the room as soon as we knew about the issue. Unfortunately, at the time that they went to this room they only found 4 people in the room (within the fire code guidelines) and the noise was quickly addressed with the occupants at the time with a courtesy noise warning. I understand from your comments that you chose to contact this guest directly before registering a noise complaint with the hotel. In the future please feel free to contact us immediately if you have any concerns. Our staff is available to assist, but they can only address your issues if they know about them when they happen. We register all reported issues, so we know when to escalate the response where appropriate. Please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future. Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Scott Hausknecht
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
TownePlace Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 668 reviews
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Manhattan Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles Redondo Beach

Been to SpringHill Suites Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach? Share your experiences!