“What no WiFi!”

Hawthorne Plaza Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hawthorne
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I just spent the night here and much to my dismay after reading some of the other reviews. I really wasn't looking for much just a clean room and WiFi. Upon arrival there was no Wifi connection. After much back and forth with the clerk and him disconnecting and rebooting the router, I was able to get on but I had to stand outside my room at 11PM at night, next to the closet where they located the router to get signal. As soon as I went back into my room, I lost connection (and my room was literally next door.

The bathroom was fairly clean which was good. The sheets were clean but the bed and all the rest of the furniture including the alarm clock (which did work) were covered with so much dust they were white. It literally looked as if no one had dusted in years, to the point of my first glance thinking that someone had painted and spotted white paint all over everything. The tv remote only worked if I stood directly in front of the set. If you sat in the bed and tried to use it there was no connection. Thankfully, I checked in late at night and I just went to sleep.

In the morning, again, there was no WiFi and when I called the clerk I got no help as he was cleaning rooms. I ended up leaving and going to the Denny's down the street sitting in the parking lot connecting to the net. Thank you Denny's.

Again, I wasn't looking for the Ritz when I booked this but no WiFi and dust for this price. No way and never again. I have stayed at other little hotel/motels near LAX and I will not return to this one. Nor can I recommend it to any travelers. There are better options.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you just need to crash for the night with no wifi or tv, and you don'...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank honestmom

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at this motel. I originally booked for 3 nights, and ended up adding a 4th. the room was clean and comfortable. It was surprisingly large too. The room was clean. Refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker with 2 single cups provided. Bathroom, sinks and towels were clean. Free Wifi. I was getting 5 Mbps both up and down for speed. The staff was polite and professional. Parking could be a bit of a problem. I believe there are more rooms than there are parking stalls on the property. There is on-street parking just next to the motel. I was able to park on the motel lot each night though. If the motel is full, there might a parking problem for a couple of the guests. Generally though, you should be able to find a spot. I would recommend this motel to anyone. It is right next to Pizza Hut for late night food, and there is a Walgreens (24-hour general store) across the street. Very convenient.

Room Tip: I had a bottom corner room, I would not recommend this corner room as the motel is in an "L&quo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eric R
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed in this hotel while a stop for one day in LA. Staff was quite rude but room is spacious and clean. It is a nice budget offer for a stop-over in LA, very close to the airport. I did not stay in it on my way back because I did not trust it to receive sjopping I made online.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

If not for this site, I never would've given this place a chance. Call me snobby, but I like my motels to at least pretend to be hotels (here's looking at you Homewood Suites). It's close to the airport, and convenient to the highway. I couldn't make heads or tails of the neighborhood based on Google Street View, but the rather large police station at the end of the block gave me some added piece of mind.

When I arrived they had me fill out a card (not a form, a card) with my information and license plate number. The fact that the "front desk" was really just a window adjacent to the parking lot didn't instill a lot of confidence, but the woman was really nice. I was very surprised by the room. Nice big bed, clean carpet and bathroom. There was a fridge, desk and chair. The A/C worked without issue.

I never heard my neighbors, and only had one issue with parking. The lot was full Saturday night, so I rang the bell at the window. The woman apologized and some guy (perhaps a relative or friend) came out and moved his car so that I could park.

The only negative that I have, which I'll admit seems to be common at every motel these days, is that I saw stains and hairs under the fitted sheet. I pulled it off by mistake and quickly covered it back up. There were also stains on the underside of the large red "classic hotel" blanket. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem like any hotel I've visited actually washes the large comforters along with the sheets every day. I never sleep under them as a result, so it didn't bother me.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. It's a great place to catch some shuteye before heading back out.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs if possible to avoid the headlights from the parking lot at night.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank righteousndignation
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Got to say was not to impressed on the looks of the place upon arrival but I checked in late from my international flight the service was wonderful the clerk was nice and helpful the room was very nice and clean bed was soft and comfy which was a god send after 14 hour flight The coffee was very good that is in the room all in all its a nice little hotel right off the lax airport will come here again soon. Even when I checked out at 5 am the clerk helped get me a taxi right away very good service

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2013

When I arrived I wasn't very happy as it looked quite old outside but the rooms are very decent and clean. It's a great deal for the value. Shops are close by very convenient and closer to the airport.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank kasthu6
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here for one night before departing from LAX. Some details:
1. Hotel is within 3 miles of LAX.
2. They do not have a shuttle so you either keep your rental car or get a car service to the airport.
3. Breakfast is not provided, but each room has a microwave and a small refrigerator.
4. Parking is free.
5. Wireless is free.
6. Rooms have cable and flat-screen televisions.
7. Mattress was firm (not like some in inexpensive places which fold like a taco when you get into it).
8. Good shower pressure and temperature.
9. AC and heat unit (self-service) in each room.

We found the rooms very clean (sheets smelled clean, carpet free of stains and vacuumed). The bathroom was similarly tidy - shower did not have any hair, all surfaces were clean, towels white/clean, toilet area clean...what can we say? For about $55/night this was pretty nice.

We would recommend to anyone...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Pannipannini
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites -  LAX / El Segundo
Comfort Inn Cockatoo Near LAX Airport
Crystal Inn Suites & Spas - LAX
Value Inn Worldwide
Value Inn Worldwide
#12 of 33 in Inglewood
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Angeles Airport Hawthorne
Hampton Inn Los Angeles Int'l Airport Hawthorne

Been to Hawthorne Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!