Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Angeles Airport Hawthorne
El Rancho Inn(Hawthorne)
$90
$75
Agoda.com
All reviewspancake machinecinnamon rollsfree breakfastbiscuits and gravyexpress breakfastcourtesy phonewould stay here againacross the streetfree parkingupgraded to a suiterental carbusiness centeryogurtlos angelesshort stayan early flightother hotels
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This property is older and showing its age. It seems like it needs more light and more windows everywhere. It feels dark and dingy with narrow hallways and small windows.

Nothing about the hotel is special and the iffy neighborhood pulls it down. We went out sightseeing and driving around lovely places all over Los Angeles and felt like we came back to the slums to come back to this hotel.

The parking garage is older but well lit and the street you have to cross is a side street that rarely has a car on it. Still, not a great situation.

There is a McDonald's across a very busy street but nothing else close by that qualifies as food. The breakfast the hotel offers is mediocre. The breakfast room lacks light and does not have enough tables for the number of people eating.

The rollaway bed and sofa bed were both unacceptable as places for a person to sleep; both having worn out, very thin, innerspring mattresses. Both were tried. Staff delivers but does not make up a rollaway.

The bathroom was ok with decent lighting and sufficient towels.

The airport shuttle was on time and efficient.

That said, I would not stay here again with the abundance of better places to stay in Los Angeles at similar prices.

Room Tip: If you must stay there, the "suite" does give quite a bit more room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Becca U
CHC-GR, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Angeles Airport Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

First and foremost I would like to thank you Ms. Becca for taking the time to review our property. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations. Our hotel is just 3 yrs old but we are constantly upgrading our rooms and overall appearance of the hotel to ensure the hotel is always up to date in appearance. As far as breakfast goes it is complementary continental breakfast which includes a variety of hot breakfast items such as Cheese/western omelets, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles, pancakes, cinnamon rolls, English muffins, fresh orange/apple juice and much more while not forgetting coffee and tea. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you encountered. It is our goal to provide the highest level of customer service. We rely on our guests to let us know when we have fallen short. Comments such as yours permit us to target areas of concern and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation. If you should reconsider staying in our property once more please do not hesitate to contact us directly we will ensure your stay is flawless.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This hotel was really nice - new, clean, comfortable bed, great breakfast. The people at the desk were some of the nicest I've met on my travels. But the location is strange. It's not really near the airport. I had to call for a shuttle, which would have taken 30 minutes to show up (not what I wanted after an international flight). So I took a taxi, which cost about $20. And the neighborhood is not the best place to explore. I was able to walk down to the grocery store and found a great taqueria near by (always my first stop in LA), but I wouldn't walk around at night and there's not a lot to see. Again, I have no complaints about the hotel or the people, but the location is detrimental.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind feedback, I am happy to hear we were able to exceed your expectations throughout your stay. Our staff strives to deliver the best service possible and I am happy they were able to make a positive impression. We look forward to your future bookings and don’t forget to contact us in advance.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I think the best thing about this hotel was that it’s in a major metropolitan area, but their rates are what chains typically charge out in the middle of nowhere. It was a very affordable name-brand hotel for a major city. While it’s reasonably close to LAX (they provide a shuttle), it’s far enough away that unlike the (much more expensive) hotels right at the airport, I heard no airplane noise at all. We arrived early in the morning, and while unfortunately they wouldn’t give us a room until later in the afternoon (they said they had been full the night before) they did hold our bags so we could see the sights without hauling luggage around. When we did check in, our room was pretty typical for a Holiday Inn Express, as was the bathroom, and both were clean and in good working order. The staff we encountered were all friendly. There were no problems with noise either from inside or outside the hotel. Breakfast was typical for Holiday Inn Express, although my son was a bit disappointed that the pancake machine wasn’t working.

The neighborhood might be a little dicey though. I didn’t have any problems, but there were signs that it might not be the best of neighborhoods. There’s a KFC/Taco Bell across the street that has the heavy Lucite to protect the employees from customers, complete with the double doors for them to pass you your order. (The food was fine by the way, and cheaper than at home.) The McDonalds on the corner was a lot more open and inviting, but using my credit card there apparently tripped the fraud protection feature, so I had to call and say that I had really used it there. A homeless gentleman has clearly been living for quite some time about a block from the hotel, that kind of thing. Still, everyone I encountered on the street, in the shops, and on the Metro was very friendly and helpful, so again no problems. We didn’t have a car, so another reason for staying at the hotel was that there is a Metro station a short walk away. Taking the Metro into LA/Hollywood takes you through some infamous neighborhoods, but again no problems, and $5 for a day pass was a pretty good deal.

For the same price, I’d certainly consider this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
CHC-GR, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Angeles Airport Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Your words are music to my ears! Our staff strives for excellent service and welcomes each guest as a member of our family. Thank you for taking the time to let our readers know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel was conveniently located, a 10 minute drive to the beach, in a decent neighborhood, and moderately priced for hotels in this area. A few blocks away, there is a supermarket, so you can buy water and snacks. The hotel itself is nicer than I excepted (par with a lot of holiday inns I have stayed in). The rooms are suites, with a little kitchenette (mini-fridge, sink, microwave) and couch/dining table area. They also had a pretty good selection of channels on the television and great air conditioning. Breakfast was okay, when I got there at 9:20 there was not much of a selection left (probably my fault for getting there late.

One thing I love about this hotel is the free parking! A lot of hotels by the airport will charge 20-30 a night for parking, which is crazy! If I am in the LA area visiting friends on the West side, I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

We are overjoyed to hear your stay was wonderful in comparison to many other properties in the city. . On behalf of our staff we would like to thank you for your recommendations and your kind words. We are very pleased to hear our property was everything you asked for and more! We certainly always trying to improve to make our guest stay here with us nothing but the best.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

A little unsure as we were driving in as the area looked a little skechy, but got better as you got closer, as is with many parts of L.A. Check in was fast. Ample and safe parking, though it looked a little run down, in gated parking garage a few hundred feet from entrance. Room was fairly spacious with sitting area, mini fridge and sink. Very clean inside and out. Was a little cold inside, room air was set at 60 when we arrived, and it wasn't that hot outside, but only I would complain about it being cold, not the husband. Easily fixed, no biggie. Decent free breakfast with orange juice and apple juice, cartons of reg. or chocolate milk, and coffee available all day. Nice pool area with hot tub that the kids enjoyed. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Hello and thanks for your wonderful review! We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and to our traveler community. Our only means to measure our success is by the feedback we receive from all of our guests. We are happy we made an everlasting impression and we look forward to your next trip. Don’t forget to contact us ahead of time so we can have something special arranged on your next trip to the city.