“Convenient to LAX”

Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hawthorne
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Spent one night here before flying out of LAX. Hotel is clean. Staff is friendly. Rooms are a small "suite". It's all one room, but you do have a mini kitchen.

Room had a food odor...must have been whatever the previous occupant had cooked the night before. No big deal.

Parking is secure...it has to be. The area sucks. It's not a part of town I would go walking around by myself or at night.

Very convenient to the airport. I don't think it even took 10 minutes to get to Alamo to return the car.

It's also noisy. Didn't look out the window, so I don't know if it was hotel guests outside, or the neighborhood.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rizzo0904
HIELAXHB, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay. It is a pleasure to read of your satisfaction. If you are going to have a longer stay in Los Angeles area, do not forget to check out our rates. Candlewood is an extended stay hotel so the rates drop when you stay longer.
As you mentioned, all of our rooms have full kitchen with pots and pans, beds are comfy and rooms are bigger than normal transient hotel. Our hotel is located near major highways, so you will easily get to downtown or beaches.
Enthusiastically looking forward for your next reservation.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Looking for a new place to store our car before a trip I found this hotel. I choose it for it's reasonable price, 24/7 shuttle, and 2 weeks car storage in a covered garage. Altho, at first, we found the area a little sketchy, it turned out to be a grand melting pot of friendly people. We drove around a bit and later walked, never feeling uncomfortable about the people or surroundings. From our arrival to final car pick up, every employee was polite, cheerful, and helpful. The room was newly refurbished and comfortable. The bed and linens were upscale and very nice. The recliner chair is a welcome addition. Our car was stored in a gated garage. We found a Mexican restaurant nearby and the food was outstanding. Our morning shuttle driver was ready for us 5 min early and drove safely and sanely to LAX. Our pickup driver was the same and the shuttle arrived earlier than promised. We appreciated that our drivers slowed for corners, not causing all the passengers to slide in their seats. We picked up our car about 1130pm and the security guard, on his golf cart, assisted us with the gates. We saved Candlewood's business card and will use them again.

Room Tip: We had an outside room but didn't hear traffic, just 1 siren and we are used to the quiet of cou...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
HIELAXHB, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Thank you for your review, "Park-Stay-Fly" package is one of our most popular packages. Usually this package is for one night stay at the hotel and two weeks of parking and is available online. If you are interested in changing the duration of your stay or parking on your next visit, just call us and we would make the arrangements. Parking is in a gated and covered parking structure as mentioned in your comments. We are looking forward to your next reservation.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

1. I was picked up at LAX promptly by the free courtesy shuttle (within 10 minutes of calling)
2. The room looks like it was remodeled recently. Nice fixtures, bathroom and furniture. Excellent lighting.
3. Bed was comfy (I slept like a baby all 3 nights, but I was also VERY tired)
4. They have a snack area downstairs with reasonable priced drinks and snacks that you pay with the honor system.
5. Front desk staff were GREAT (kudos to Saad and Maria)
6. Try to get a room facing the Holiday Inn Express away from Hawthorne Rd to reduce traffic noise.
7. There are limited dining options close by and I would not want to walk too far esp at night (it might be ok, but some of the stores have bars in the windows!) If you have a car, plenty of options.
8. It's a short drive to the highways - it took us about 25 minutes to get to downtown in *good* traffic.
9 There is a Ralphs's a few blocks away if you need groceries (the room has a nice kitchenette)

I can't really provide any negatives about the property itself aside from the location, but since I'm not from LA, I'm erring on the side of cautiousness.

With a great price and great room, I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room that ends in 10 or less to get further away from the main road Stay o...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
HIELAXHB, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

I am pleased to read about your satisfaction. Our property is in a great location for those who like to be in a quite area but also have easy access to major atteractions. Disney Land, Universal Studios, Hollywood, LA beaches and Getty museum are just minutes away from our hotel. As you mentioned, our LAX shuttle service is promptly at your service.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

This was the last night of our holiday in California and we had booked 2 suites so we could relax before the long flight home the following day.

Unfortunately when we got there, the booking had been cancelled. I was told that my credit card had declined the payment. I had booked the rooms through membership of the parent group and wished the Candlewood Hawthorne had emailed me but perhaps bookings are done centrally. A few months previously my bank had upgraded my credit card and this necessitated a number change. I obviously thought that any previous committments would be honoured by my bank but this obviously was not the case.

We were lucky that the manager gave us 2 rooms - studios on the ground floor with a view of a wall - for the same rate as that detailed on our hotel confirmation. However, the room was clean with a full kitchen.

There are a few shops locally but I'm not sure if it's a safe place to walk around at night. There is a shopping centre around 20 minutes away by bus but getting back to the hotel was a challenge. We couldn't find the bus stop and when we eventually found a terminus (behind the shopping centre) found the bus drivers do not run to a schedule - they seem to decide when they want to leave. A complete contrast to the cheerful drivers and well run bus service in Santa Barbara.

It was just a disappointing end to our holiday not to have the rooms we had booked, but we were just glad we had a room.

If I could highlight one member of staff it would be the man who drove the free courtesy bus to the airport - he was very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and thank you for choosing our hotel for your accommodation. I wish you have had a better experience in Los Angeles. Change in credit card usually causes these kinds of problems for guests and hotels. Due to our high occupancy, we cannot hold the reservation when the credit card declines.
On your next visit please remember to ask about the transportation to/from areas of interest. Front desk can give you good information about nearby attractions. We are looking forward to your next reservation.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Let's start by saying that this is a horrible, nasty area. However, sometimes that's where you have to be, and you need somewhere decent to stay. I was not disappointed with this hotel. I have used Candlewood before in Texas, and this was what I expected. For $225.00 for two nights, we have a queen standard suite with full kitchen and bath. CLEAN and perfect for what I needed. The only downside is the noise. Lots of doors slamming, thumping and traffic noise.... but what do you expect this close to LAX?? Free parking in a VERY secure garage, free wifi, and the little store downstairs. Those were all huge plus factors. There is a Holiday Inn Express across the driveway that is probably very similar. I'm definitely happy with this stay, and would use this location again if I were needing a room in this area. The bed is very comfy, good linens and towels too. I just wish it were a little quieter.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank yayhasplz
HIELAXHB, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

I am very sorry to hear about the noise problem on that specific date, sometimes group check outs are going to make some noise. The hotel staff is trying to make this hotel peaceful and comfortable for all guests. I am pleased that you took advantage of some of the hotel's amenities like cupboard and free secure parking. Please remember that we also offer free LAX shuttle, free laundry and 24 hrs fitness center in this new hotel. We are eagerly looking forward to your next stay in Candlewood Suites LAX Hawthorne.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

The "standard suites" is just a regular hotel room with a full size fridge crammed in. Go for the supersize if you want a real suite. Totally non-smoking hotel so Cigar Connoisseurs are not welcome. Otherwise, its your standard room, close to the airport w/ free shuttle service.

Room Tip: Executive suites are the only real suites
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Fletc404
HIELAXHB, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2012

Thank you for choosing our property for your recent stay in LAX area and thank you for taking the time and writing a review about your stay. Candlewood suits is an all nonsmoking suites property and all of our spacious suites come with a full kitchen and other great amenities that guests love like free laundry, parking, fitness and business center.
I hope we would have another chance to welcome you at our property.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Apparently a new property built with the adjacent Holiday Inn. Prompt hotel shuttle pick-up from LAX. 10-minute ride. Friendly check-in, my wish for a top floor room was granted. Well appointed room, elegant bath with corian counter and tile floor. I appreciate the curved shower curtain. Unfortunately, some inconsiderate guests had left wear and tear marks on table/desk and upholstery already. The hotel is situated close to a lively intersection, but traffic noise was not an issue. The neighborhood is "international". A small collection of stores/restaurants are nearly next door with the Panamerican Bakery serving warm, sweet breads and rolls, the adjoining Red Chiles restaurant offering Huevos Rancheros for breakfast and the Hulu Cafe get's you going Hawaiian (more take-out than sit-down). About a block south of the hotel is a Ralphs and CVS. Half a block north of the hotel is the Metro station, which gets you to downtown L.A. in 40 minutes with one train change. Buy the day-pass for $5 at the turn-stile and you are all set.

Room Tip: upper floor and toward the rear (closer to the garage than Hawthorne Blvd)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank HermanTheGerman-inTX
HIELAXHB, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

Candlewood suites' staff are very happy that you had a good experience at our property also we want to thank you for choosing us for your stay in LA.
Thank you for your good review and we hope to see you soon at our property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawthorne
0 mi away
The Westin Los Angeles Airport
The Westin Los Angeles Airport
#56 of 355 in Los Angeles
Best Western Plus Suites Hotel

Been to Candlewood Suites Lax Hawthorne? Share your experiences!