“A Superior Dairy memory”
Review of Superior Dairy

Superior Dairy
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Hanford
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I can remember coming to Superior Dairy since I was 7 and sharing the single scoop chocolate chip with whip cream, nuts, and cherry on top with my mom older sister younger brother and leaving full. We still go there when we can and its the same friendly service great ice cream and fond memories. just a heads up although the food is ok if you're hungry for a meal you'd be better off going somewhere else the star of this place is the ice cream it will fill you up.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Superior Dairy is a must stop on a visit to Hanford, a bit south of Fresno in California's San Joaquin Valley, As a city Hanford is welcoming and historically interesting, with an unexpected Mid-Western charm. Superior Dairy Ice Cream is hand made and perhaps most importantly...servings are HUGE! The restaurant is in the heart of downtown, and has a classic mid-century soda fountain / diner style. Great banana splits, chocolate sodas, and sundaes. Be prepared to loosen your belt! Americana at its best!

1  Thank galwest1
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I grew up in Hanford and was first introduced to Superior Dairy 55+ years ago. In fact, the Superior Dairy truck delivered bottled milk to our farm. However, it was the amazing ice cream that fairly often warranted a trip into town. Back then, I wasn't aware they offered anything other than milkshakes, and I always got chocolate. I eventually moved away and have lived in various parts of the US, usually far from Hanford; but whenever I have gotten back to within a couple of hours of Hanford, I have made a trip back to Superior Dairy just to get a chocolate shake.
As recently as 3 years ago the shakes were EXACTLY the same as I remember them 50 years ago. The ice cream always had little ice crystals in it that gave a slight "crunch" like sensation that I haven't experienced elsewhere. It made it unique and awesome. I was recently back there on New Year's Eve, however, and had a chocolate shake. The crunch was gone. "Probably just a fluke," I told myself. "Surely they didn't change it," I thought convincingly. For that, I had to give 1/10 of a demerit. The best shakes I have had anywhere in this country - on this planet - were at Superior Dairy. I eventually learned they had lots of ice cream dishes, all equally delicious. As mentioned by others, the portions are ginormous. A small sundae appeared to have 4 generous scoops.
The food, mostly sandwich choices, is decent. I had a tri-tip sandwich on this last visit which was pretty ho-hum. But, seriously, who goes there for the food anyway?
The other interesting thing to note is that the place looks pretty much exactly like it did 50+ years ago -- same stools, same booths, same signs. Maybe even one server - couldn't be sure. Only the prices have changed. Lots of pink, very ice-creamy and nostalgic. You have to walk through a storage area to get to the restrooms. When I was five or so, it seemed like you had to go through a long, scary maze. Now I see they are really quite close.
If you are anywhere near Hanford, go there.

2  Thank Anthony C
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Wonderful items foar a family to share. Split a split or share the SOS! Everyone will leave with a smile on their face and it won`t break dad``s wallet.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

When all of our kids and grandkids came for the holiday, we knew that it would not be complete without a visit to Superior Dairy. A few tried the "SOS" and even finished it. The flavors are the best. I thought that we would try something different for Christmas dinner so I made ice cream pies. We had pumpkin and chocolate chip. They were a smash hit! I know we will do it again!

1  Thank James B