“I used to love this place, but it's really going downhill”
Review of Irwin Street Inn

Irwin Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hanford B&B and Inns
Santa Cruz, CA
“I used to love this place, but it's really going downhill”
Reviewed November 17, 2009

I really used to love staying at the Irwin Street Inn. I even wrote a review on TripAdvisor a few years ago saying how much I liked it. Unfortunately, I've been disappointed too many times since then. I have been given one too many rooms without curtains, leaking sink fixtures, lumpy mattresses, etc. I even got one room that could not be locked because someone had kicked in the door and demolished the doorjamb into splinters. The paint is peeling and the pool has been converted into a murky fishpond.

After our last stay, my husband finally had enough. We first got a room that was dark and musty. We asked for a different room and were given a room that was brighter and fresher. Once we got settled in though, we realized that the cold water line to the sink was shut off. We turned it back on but soon found out why it had been off when a puddle started forming under the sink. We ended up having to turn it back off and use only hot water in the sink. We couldn't find a remote for the TV, so I went to the lobby to ask for one. They rummaged around a junk drawer and gave us a remote that had extensive repairs with scotch tape to hold it together. We went to dinner, then came back ready to head for bed. That's when we tried to close the curtains and found that there were none. We contacted the lobby and were told that the blinds in our room had broken and that they could move us to another room. We had already moved once and unpacked so we ended up settling for putting a sheet over the window. The bed was lumpy and the sheets looked ancient - they were very thin and with polyester pills all over. The next morning when we were ready to check out, the person at the front desk did not seem to know how to process a credit card. After standing around for about 15 minutes waiting for it to get figured out, they asked if we could come back in an hour so they could have more time to get things straightened out. We went ahead and left and came back about an hour and a half later to find that they still had not gotten us checked out. We stood around a while longer and finally told them to mail us a copy of the receipt.

I would so love to see the Irwin Street Inn returned to its former glory. I the meantime I guess I'll have settle for one of the lame motels - at least they have curtains.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sweetflowers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Texas
Reviewed May 31, 2009

The Inn has sentimental value for our family because it was the honeymoon Inn for our youngest son. We all wanted to return while visiting relatives in Hanford. I don't want to list all of the complaints in this update because I spoke with Mike, one of the managers, and he has been working on addressing each issue.

I would return to the Inn for a stay but I would have back up reservations else where because I would want to do a walk through. I wish the managers success in returning the Inn to it's wonderful old state.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank TexasGoatlady

Travelers are raving about these Hanford hotels

Folsom, California
Reviewed May 26, 2009

We love this inn. This was our 4th stay, and we were actually married here three years ago. Frank and Deborah do a wonderful job of welcoming visitors. The room rates are always very fair and the food is delicious and fresh. While we have stayed in fancier meticulously restored B&B's, this inn remains among our very favorites. It's something about the ambience. The decor is traditional Victorian and some pieces are original and others are not. It's a blend, this is true. But the costs of maintaining perfect antiques is prohibitive in an inn this size in such a location. The inn's true appeal is in its eclectic surroundings and -- hosts are just delightful. You can see that Irwin Street Inn is dear to their hearts and so are its guests!

Hanford is a charming old town and it's great for walking because there's a park close by with some historic sites. We would like to come down sometime for the Thursday night market and to see a show at the Fox. When we do, we'll stay at the Irwin Street Inn.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Parizienne
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2009

Hanford's not a big town, and when I did some research on hotels, I was surprised to see how much the well known chains were charging..which led me to the Irwin Street Inn.

It's got a great quite downtown location (i.e. it's not motel on the edge of a freeway), the staff was friendly enough, and it's large enough so it doesn't feel like you're intruding in someone's private fantasy B&B.

But it's also much more like a backpacking hotel in quality than an actual B&B, which is fine and makes it kinda of fun in a roughing it sort of way that was unexpected, so clearly the good deal on the rates, is is in fact, a fair deal. The furniture was eclectic and worn, the bed old and worn, the sheets cheap and scratchy, the decor ugly, ugly, ugly... but it was clean enough, I liked the old Victorian sinks, bathtub, and odd shaped room. The breakfast was freshly cooked by a chef and not sitting in obvious warming trays.

It would have been nice to have some of the outside space be cleaner, swept, the chairs wiped off. I was bummed to never get the Internet working, and surprised to find absolutely no information in the room on services at the "hotel", nothing on things to do in Hanford (not much), how to get the Internet to work, what time breakfast was, no desk to sit at, and stuff unplugged or not working which I found strange, but then I was there for leisure so ok, I leisured which is not the worst thing to happen.

I'd likely stay there again if I was visiting for a short amount of time, but would stay somewhere else with a pool and fitness room if I was going to be in Hanford for more than a few days or it was in the middle of the summer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank knoxg
California Coast
Reviewed April 1, 2009

We had a great stay at the Irwin in March 2009. Good friendly staff, good food, clean rooms. We had come to Hanford to see a show at the Fox Theatre (practically next door), and it turns out, the band stayed at the inn. So the staff was kind of run ragged, but they do a great job in my opinion. Well worth booking into if you are in Hanford for some reason.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Avoman22
Hanford
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We had a wonderful time.The staff was great and attentive.

• Liked — The friendly staff and the great food.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
Reviewed December 28, 2008

When we arrived the phone at the front door did not work. I had to use my cell to call the front desk that we had arrived. When shown to our room we were told that the heat was broken and we could use a space heater for heat. The room was dirty, cobwebs on the walls and furniture, bathroom was dirty, the towels had a moldy smell to them. The bed linens had not been changed and you could actully see the body imprint of the person that had slept there before. We tried to call the front desk with the phone if the room to complain and no one would answer. We went outside to look for the owner or manager and we realized that the lock for the door had a broken key in it and the door could not be locked. We packed our bags and left. Luckily we found lodging up the road. BTW...we were never told of the amenities when we arrived. I don't even know when they serve breakfast.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GuyInSanFrancisco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hanford
Comfort Inn Hanford
#4 of 6 in Lemoore
Wyndham Visalia
Wyndham Visalia
#2 of 14 in Visalia

Been to Irwin Street Inn? Share your experiences!