Beach House at Half Moon Bay
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Harbor View Inn(Half Moon Bay)
View Hotel
Coastside Inn(Half Moon Bay)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Half Moon Bay Lodge(Half Moon Bay)
View Hotel
All reviewssam's chowder housefog horncontinental breakfastjunior suitestove topocean viewmini kitchenbagelswine and cheese receptionpool and hot tubliving areasmall kitchenetteget awaythird floorfresh fruitno air conditioningwalking path
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was a return visit for me to the Beach House. While home I had told myself that I wouldn't need an oceanfront, but on arrival splurged the extra money. My experience, as expected, was great. The room really has a beach house feel to it. You enter into a raised area with bathroom and a bed with a half-divider. Then, down two stairs into a living room with a fireplace, kitchenette area (stove, microwave, refrigerator, dishes), and a french doors out onto a patio or balcony. There's a panoramic view of the harbor and marina and out onto the Pacific. The room is equipped with nice things like a real stereo to plug your iPod into rather than just a sound dock and two televisions-- although I didn't even turn them on. The continental brunch was quite good with a decent selection.
My feeling is that the garden rooms are probably okay, but why go to a beautiful place on the Pacific Coast and then face the parking lot and a busy highway.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank PhillyVoyager
DD_Yountville, Front Office Manager at Beach House at Half Moon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear PhillyVoyager,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'm glad that you were able to upgrade! The ocean view junior suites are all wonderful rooms. We all sincerely look forward to your next visit with us at the Beach House.

Best regards,

Matthew Daubenspeck
Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Beach House at Half Moon Bay in May. We had a two night stay and got the deluxe ocean view room. The room was amazing. It was cozy, comfortable, spacious and had a very nice view. The fireplace was a nice touch and we used it both evenings. We did not miss the air-conditioning as it was plenty cool enough with the windows open. We arrived on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend so it was very crowded. Parking was at a premium in the lot and cars were parked alongside the road for as far as you could see. It turned out that the fog rolled into Half Moon Bay just as we were pulling in to the city and didn't roll back out till we left. That made for some not so nice views of the beach and less than perfect conditions. However, I am sure that had the sun been out it would have been a beautiful place to enjoy the ocean views.

We loved the Aveda products as part of room. I am a huge Aveda fan so this made me very happy and made it seem a little more "upscale". We had the continental breakfast both mornings. The dining area is small but nice. The only problem we had was that on the first morning most of the tables weren't cleared and there were stacks of dirty dishes on them. Did not notice this the second morning so perhaps they were short staffed the first day. The balconies for the rooms are small as others have noted. There is enough room for a couple of chairs and you are literally right next to the guests in neighboring rooms. This was not an issue since the weather prohibited us from sitting outside anyway but I can see where it may be an issue for some. You can also definitely hear the fog horn but having been there during heavy fog I can certainly see why it is important. We adapted pretty quickly to the sound and were able to tune it out for the most part.

You are indeed within walking distance of Sam's Chowder House. We did have lunch there one day. The place is always packed so you are better off making the short walk from the Beach Club. As far as other restaurants and the downtown areas...it is a short drive to visit them.

During our stay, my husband and I went to the Ritz to check it out. Gorgeous area and for some reason less fog but while the Beach Club is definitely not the Ritz, it certainly is nice place to stay with wonderful rooms and was very relaxing.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the deluxe ocean view room. The views of the roadway or Sam's Chowder House would not be nearly as nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melody B

Dear TravelMel1,

Thank you for your comments and you choosing the Beach House for your Memorial Day getaway. We are very nicely located to restaurants in the Harbor and shops in town. We very much pride ourselves on our personalized service to our guests and very much look forward to seeing you again (hopefully in the near future!).

Best regards,

Matthew Daubenspeck
Front Office Manager

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed in a great Ocean View Room for the Annual Pumpkin Festival and had a great time. The Staff were great to us, the room was ready early as we had asked. The Breakfast was very tasty and had enough choices for us an our two toddlers to eat before we checked out for the day. We will definately be back soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Beach-House_10, Front Office Manager at Beach House at Half Moon Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

We are happy you chose to stay with us during your visit to the annual Pumkin Festival. Thank you for you kind comments regarding our staff and breakfast. We hope to see you again when you return to Half Moon Bay.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This hotel is right on the beach and walking distance to several restaurants. The room is big and very comfortable. The complimentary drinks and breakfast were wonderful lots of healthy options and they refilled everything constantly. Loved the pool and hot tub that overlooked the beach it is open very convenient hours which is great when traveling with kids. My only complaint and it was a pretty big irritation was the room gets very hot at night and we couldn't seem to get the heat off and if you opened the window you could hear the fog horn every 12 seconds. Other that that it was a wonderful place to stay I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DiscoveryBayAlison

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased to hear you not only enjoyed your stay here at the property, but also our wonderful surroundings. We have the front desk staffed 24 hours a day to help ensure that our guests have an enjoyable stay. Thanks Again!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

For my birthday this past March, I searched for hotels in Half Moon Bay and came across the Beach House. The hotel is located in the northern part of Half Moon Bay, away from the downtown area and some of the main beaches in the area. I picked this hotel partly for it's location, right next to a wonderful beach for surfing, and for it's great price (about $220/night for a junior suite).

The room was great, enough for the four of us that were staying in the room. It was a junior suite so there was no separation between the living room and the bedroom but it was fine. The room had a deck and a partial view of the beach. There was a fire place, fridge, coffee maker, and microwave. The room included a king bed and a sofa bed. They had said the sofa bed was a queen but I think it was more a double bed.

Check in and check out was a breeze. We came in during the early evening and were treated to their wine and cheese hour. The receptionist was great, offering to help us with any dinner or night time plans that we wanted to make. Breakfast in the morning was a nice spread of breakfast favorites like bacon, fruit, muffins, croissants, and coffee. The following morning, we grabbed some coffee to go and walked along the beach watching the surfers out in the ocean.

Overall, the hotel was a great stay for me. The staff were incredibly nice and helpful. The room was the perfect fit for my group of friends and was just spacious enough for all of us. And finally the price was just right for the weekend. I will definitely be coming back for another stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments regarding friendliness and helpfullness our our front desk staff. We strive to provide excellent customer service to all our guests. Thank you for choosing the Beach House for your special occasion. We look forward to seeing you again in the future!