“Over-rated and not worth the price”

Beach House at Half Moon Bay
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Northern Calif
“Over-rated and not worth the price”
Reviewed February 14, 2008

For three years now, in May, we have stayed at the Beach House in Half Moon Bay. The rooms are large, but not as clean as they should be. Every year, something in the room was broken. Refrigerator, lights, etc. and they have never, not one trip, made any effort to repair the problem prior to our leaving. This makes me think they probably never do repair problems. The ocean view is really a bay view, and while nice, not worth the $300 a night they charge. No food service, not a great pool area, and this year we will book our 4 day vacation at another hotel. I think they cater to work groups have small educational programs. terri schmidt

• Disliked — maintenance was poor, not clean
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tschmidt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Brentwood, CA
Reviewed February 7, 2008

The hotel sits right on the edge of the bay and the views are spectacular. The rooms are nice and comfortable. We thoroughly enjoyed the Friday night wine and cheese in the lobby. What a nice touch. California Canoe and Kayak picked us up right at the hotel with kayaks ready and gave us a lovely tour of the bay. The tour guides are so friendly and fun too!!

• Liked — The views!!
  • Disliked — Small for more than two people.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Central Coast Californial
Reviewed December 29, 2007

There's nothing actually "wrong" with this place. It isn't dirty, the staff is not rude, the room was large and comfortable. But it's the kind of place that perfectly nice, middle aged women go to celebrate National Secretaries' Day.

Also, the place is thick with appallingly wholesome looking children. Also, and this is the nail in the coffin for me, the paintings in the rooms are the kind you see in a dentist's office. Remarkably similar to that man who paints pictures of children with enormous eyes holding a kitten (there was actually a picture in the bathroom of a frog sitting on a toilet reading the Wall Street Journal. Huh?). In other words, if that's what you like, stay here. But if that's what you hate, this is not the place for you.

The only legitimate criticism, aside from these issues of taste, is the price. It's way overpriced and bills itself as a luxury resort, which it isn't. It's basically like a fancy Best Western.

Finally, it's right on the highway -- you can hear the traffic.

So, in conclusion, if you're one of those people who likes movies "the whole family can enjoy," this is the place for you.

• Liked — Size of the room, fireplace, Aveda bath products
  • Disliked — Bland room, cheesy decor, suburban clientele
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
11 Thank NYtoCA
California
Reviewed October 12, 2007

Wonderful place, clean well rooms with a great view and great staff. Have stayed 2 times within the past few years and will stay again.

• Stayed September 2003, traveled as a couple
2 Thank califtrav
Silicon Valley, CA
Reviewed September 4, 2007

I first stayed at the Beach House Hotel a couple of years ago, and this second stay was as sweet as the first.

This time, we stayed in a penthouse suite. Since all junior suites have the same floor plan and furnishings, for a little bit more, you get high ceilings, which I think is worth it for the spaciousness.

The bedding is excellent. You step down into the living room area, which includes a large sturdy coffee table, plenty of comfortable seating, and a fully stocked kitchenette. The nice thing about the step down is that if you have the balcony door open, the breeze sweeps right up into your bed. The bathroom is very large with high end amenities, lots of towels, 2 bathrobes, a double sink with drawers, and a separate shower and bath tub, including a rubber ducky.

The forced air heating system worked great (there's no air conditioning, but you seldom need that), and they also provide a Duraflame log for the fireplace.

There are 2 televisions, but they are kind of small and not high end. The view from the balcony is exceptional.

There is supposed to be free wireless, but during our stay, neither the phoneline networking nor the wireless were working.

The doors to the rooms are very heavy, which also means that you don't hear any hallway noise... and they don't hear you.

There is no room service, but you can go out the back door, walk about 100 yards and go up to the Chowder House next door. This is an excellent restaurant with really fresh seafood and excellent coffee.

I was sorry to read the recent review about the unfortunate experience of the Latina guests at the Beach House Hotel. We were a mixed asian-white couple and were treated very graciously by the staff on check-in and check-out.

• Stayed September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mjtraveler22
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed August 12, 2007

My husband and I have enjoyed staying at the Beach House Hotel in Half Moon Bay three other times and found it to be a relaxing atmosphere in a dream like setting and worth the price tag.

I had a very different experience this past weekend.

My girlfriends and I planned a weekend get away and I enthusiastically encouraged the group to choose the Beach House because of the wonderful experiences I have had there in the past. I was excited for my girlfriends to see and experience this gem of a hotel.

After a long work week, we checked in Saturday afternoon, unpacked, changed and headed straight for the Jacuzzi.

We had spent about a half hour in the Jacuzzi catching up and chatting with the other guests when a gruff gentleman with an angry look on his face approached the gate to the Jacuzzi. He looked like he was a Hotel employee but the way he angrily approached the gate made me think otherwise. “Are you guests of this hotel?,” he said pointedly to one of my girlfriends. She didn’t answer him; maybe she was taken back speechless a bit like I was. He said “I’m not going to ask this again! Are you guests of this hotel!”

Another friend spoke up a bit shocked and told him that yes, we were staying there. He said “Alright” in a threatening tone, and stormed away.

The minutes of awkward silence between us and the other guests and embarrassment that followed felt like hours. Later we asked and found out that that man was Lee Hurley, the general Manager of the hotel.

The gentleman of the older couple that was in the Jacuzzi with us spoke up in an attempt to break the awkward silence “I guess it’s because this is usually an ‘all-white’ pool,” he laughed. His attempt to make us feel more comfortable just further confirmed the feeling that what prompted the General Manager’s accusatory questioning is because we are Hispanic. Needless to say we were hurt and made to feel out of place.

What was meant to be a memorable weekend between friends was soured by Mr. Hurley’s condescending and accusatory tone and attitude.

The room that we stayed in is a $425 penthouse suite and we knew that we could’ve stayed for a bit less at the Ritz down the way but the cozy friendly atmosphere is what drew me back to this hotel.

My girlfriends and I are young professionals, mothers, and wives who know one another from church. There is nothing about our appearance that should have prompted defensiveness on Mr. Hurley’s part other than, I suppose, the color of our skin.
I feel silly for having to defend ourselves against that kind of bigotry when we stayed in a $425/nt. room.

The humiliation in front of the other guests that we were caused cannot be undone, but we are each owed a sincere apology.

We tried to put off thinking about this all weekend to limit the impact that this occurrence had on our time together. We were each embarrassed, isolated, and again walked around the premises of the hotel feeling slightly out of place.

We decided to avoid the wine and cheese reception- we did not want to see Mr. Hurley or be made to feel more isolated.

Our weekend was soured, and this is the memory we will have of the long awaited ‘girlfriends weekend.’

This is not only a matter of a discriminatory attitude but also a matter of poor service at the most basic level. No matter
Mr. Hurley’s reason for questioning the validity of a guest’s presence, it should not be done in an assumptive and accusatory way. Him raising his voice was out of line; and saying “I’m not going to ask this again” is below the very base level of treating people in general with respect, let alone being friendly to his own guests.

After learning that we were guests of the hotel he did not apologize for the questioning, nor did he have an apologetic attitude. His angrily storming off told us that we were not hotel ‘guests,’ we felt allowed to stay in the hotel, but certainly not wanted.

I have a knot in my stomach writing this. I have not been talked to like that before and certainly not at a place where I was a ‘guest.’ It deeply saddens me to know that this kind of assumptive attitude still happens in the year 2007.

• Liked — Beautiful location and friendly service... if you're not a person of color.
  • Disliked — We were disrespected adn humiliated
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
50 Thank 3dayweekender
Arizona
Reviewed August 5, 2007

Well, I have to say up front that I can't be too objective in this review. This hotel has been a place of rest and comfort to my wife and I for the last 5 years. We love everything about the location, including the foghorn, quiet waves lapping the beach, and even the seagulls cries!

We've stayed here quite a few times over the years, and have never had bad experiences with the staff. They are rather "hands-off", though, so if you expect to be coddled and fussed over, then the Ritz may be a better choice.

I've never had problems with room cleanliness or comfort, and as this is a special treat for us we always stay in a penthouse ocean view. Hey, if you're going to splurge......

The town of Half Moon Bay is possibly my favorite place on earth, and San Francisco is a short and beautiful drive up the road. If you like scenic vistas, take Highway 92 east from HMB to Skyline drive. Don't just stop at the vista point close to the intersection, drive a little further and pull off at the first pullout on the right. You'll be able to see both the ocean and the bay from the same point. Skyline is a beautiful drive, and there are some small logging roads that lead to incredibly beautiful areas.

OK, sorry, I'm gushing. Just to wrap up by saying that we rate the Beach House very highly, and have been very satisfied over the years.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Been to Beach House at Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!