“Wonderful coastal California feeling on the grounds and in the rooms”

Half Moon Bay Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Folsom, California (USA)
“Wonderful coastal California feeling on the grounds and in the rooms”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

This lodge has been recent riddled and is clean and fresh and lovely. Decor has a coastal California feel. Landscaping is nicely tended. Outdoor fireside lounge area next to a Pretty pool area. More variety in the morning breakfast than usual. Would stay here again, although a little farther from center of town.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank PBandJ01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I had a comfortable stay here during my first visit to Half Moon Bay; the staff was friendly, the grounds are well-maintained, and this was a welcome change from my usual habit of staying in chain hotels.

You'll notice that it isn't a brand new property, but it oozes charm and most leisure travelers will delight in the decor and friendly staff.

And amenities can speak loudly about a property....the aromatic shampoo, conditioner, and lotion bottles had inspirational quotes on the outside and contained spa-level loveliness on the inside.

Room Tip: I requested a 2nd floor room just because older properties sometimes transfer noise more easily. I...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I chose this hotel because of the good ratings I read on Tripadvisor. I must be in the Twilight Zone because my experience was extremely negative and I feel as though a bait and switch was done and I was not at the right hotel. Let me start by saying that I wanted a pet friendly hotel where I could relax for a couple of days, just me and my dog, as an early Mother's Day gift to myself. This is the most pet UN-friendly hotel I have ever been to (and I have been to many pet friendly hotels in California and in Vegas). First of all, at check in, the pet fee went from $75 to $84 with tax. What did I get for that? NOTHING--not even a plastic bag for my dog's poop. Every other hotel gives you something when you check in with your dog and pay the pet fee--a bed, dog bowl, treats, etc. Apparently the person who checked me in "forgot" to give me a bowl with dog treats. They offered it to me when I checked out but it was a little late by then, don't you think? Instead of being termed "pet-friendly" a more accurate description would be "pet-tolerant". I did not feel as though my pet was truly welcome at this hotel but he would be tolerated as long as he kept out of sight. By the way, I had to ask for a plastic bag at the front desk for my dog's poop and all they had was a huge garbage size plastic bag. Unbelievable.
The worst part of the experience was the noise level at the hotel. I was unable to sleep for most of the night because the walls are paper thin--we are talking cheap motel thin walls. Additionally, there are big gaps between the doors and the doorsills where noise from the outside easily travels into the rooms. I could hear conversations, toilet flushing, closets opening, people walking, etc. All the pet rooms are on the first floor and every time someone walked around in the room above me, it sounded as if there were a herd of elephants above me. It kept me from sleeping and was upsetting to my dog also as he kept growling because it sounded like there was an intruder in our room. For 3 hours I tried to go to sleep and finally at 1 am I had to request a new room which involved having to get dressed, pack and move to another room. Finally at around 2:30am, I was able to fall asleep. I was then awakened around 7:30am by the sound of little kids running down the walkway. So much for my relaxing vacation. I couldn't get out of that place fast enough and I will NEVER go back.
Lastly, this hotel is WAAAAY overpriced for what you get. The rooms are quite plain and the bathroom sink in my first room did not drain properly and the sink in the second room was horribly cracked. I am very disappointed with my experience at the Half Moon Bay Lodge as I was really looking forward to a relaxing time and instead had to cut my stay short and left feeling sleep deprived.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, do not stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Mackica1955
Keith W, General Manager at Half Moon Bay Lodge, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
I am so sorry to learn that your recent experience fell short of your expectations, particularly that the delivery of our pet-friendly amenities was not executed to our usual standard.

We strive to create an experience that exceeds your expectations in every way. If you will contact me, I promise to resolve your concerns to your full satisfaction.

Keith Wesselmann
650.726.9000
Monte Nido, CA
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Like many small, quaint hotels in the Bay Area, this one is probably a good value, it's just unspectacular. It's right next to apartments or condos, and is bordered by a public(?) golf course.

Granted my review might reflect my bitterness about the rest of my group getting to stay at the Ritz, but my first room reeked of fireplace smoke, and while the staff was kind enough to move me, I ended up in a room with a thermostat set at 80F, which I discovered at 3:30am.

I also inquired about breakfast in the morning, and was told it was a "full breakfast." That was a misrepresentation. It's hard-boiled eggs, cereal boxes, toast and sweet rolls to go with your coffee or tea. Not terrible but not very interesting either.

The Ritz is sure expensive, but it makes this one pale in contrast.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Wayne P
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Friendly staff couldn't do enough for us, lovely pool and spa, fitness room, great breakfast (including the all important waffle irons, of which there were two), large clean comfortable room. With a balcony overlooking the golf course, it was far enough away from the Highway to be quiet the whole time. Excellent overall.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank FredFII
Orinda, California
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed one night with a family of 4. Room was very nice and clean. Hotel is right off main highway and parking is free. Free wifi is included. Close to the Ritz Carlton, coast trail and beach. The golf course is adjacent to the hotel.

Free breakfast was offered and included hard boiled eggs, waffles, toast, bagels, fruit, cereal, yogurt, coffee, tea, juices and milk. Better than the standard free continental breakfast offerings at other hotels. This was a great way to start the day.

The fitness room had the typical exercise equipment, overhead television, nice little sauna and shower. The pool was at 82°F and hot tub was at 101°F and were very relaxing to unwind in at night. Clean towels were available poolside.

Overall, a nice place to stay in Half Moon Bay. Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank donavan94563
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I haven't stayed here for over 30 years. It's not as upmarket now as it was then, probably because there's now a Ritz Carlton just around the corner. Having said that the rooms are large and very good. The check in was a pleasure and the staff very good. Breakfast was above average for an inclusive deal. The hotel is peaceful and very well located. It is perhaps a little old now, but for some reason this did not seem to matter. The price was very good for a hotel of this quality. We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay.

Room Tip: There is no lift so if you have heavy bags ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay
Best Western Plus Lighthouse Hotel
The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

Been to Half Moon Bay Lodge? Share your experiences!