“Very good, just a few let downs”

Half Moon Bay Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Sacramento
“Very good, just a few let downs”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I would definitely feel okay about recommending this hotel. The room we had was spacious and we enjoyed the fireplace. The continental breakfast was nice as well, more than just the typical pastries and dry cereal. There were lots of lovely touches in the way of flowers and greenery. We were able to walk to the ocean from the property. There is a nice restaurant with good food and super nice staff in the parking lot basically and we ordered dinner from them both nights of our stay. The let downs were the TV not showing clear, the cable channels came in fuzzy during our entire stay, the staff wasn't always the nicest, I got the feeling I was bothering them sometimes, and although it is adjacent to a golf course there really aren't grounds that you can walk along to enjoy the view.

2 Thank RCMom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I stayed here with my 2 children. Pleasantly surprised how nice the rooms were (we had a remodeled room).

The front desk staff at check in & check out was very rude & unfriendly.

Request a second floor room as we were awaken at 6am by the heavy footsteps of the person staying above us. No sound proofing between the floors.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Shishichi
Keith W, General Manager at Half Moon Bay Lodge, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you for your review and for your recent visit. I am delighted to learn that our accommodations exceeded your expectations, but I am disappointed that you found the friendliness of our front desk staff did not. Please be assured that our staff has been made aware of your experience , and we are committed to creating an experience that exceeds your expectations in every way. If you will contact me, I promise to resolve your concerns to your full satisfaction.

Keith Wesselmann
650.726.9000
Texas
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is really, really nice. The price is right too! We paid around $100/night, which is really reasonable given the location & the fact that the Maverick surf competition was on that week. The room was very large, had a balcony, & a mini-fridge. The color scheme was nice too. The huge plus was the extensive breakfast offerings. Very impressed. And the coffee was good enough to wake me up.

I would like to give the hotel 5 stars but I can't because of the heater. I couldn't find a way to control the temperature adequately so I froze. The heater kicked on & off the 3 nights we were there - which woke me up. And I froze. I'm prone to being cold if the temperature is below 80F but regardless, I should have been able to adjust the heating to my comfort level. Perhaps if they have to install a new system, they will select systems similar to other major hotels.

I still really enjoyed this hotel & recommend it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SweetHopfrog
Oliver, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2014

As we were there for Valentines Day & the Family Week end, this accommodation fits both categories. We were travelling to reunite a sweet small Doggie with our Son & Daughter. This Lodge accommodates Pets and shows appreciation for honest, responsible pet owners. The large King Suite with living room was such a good fit for our needs. The separate bedroom with large screen TV was a big plus for us.
Our balcony was double the length of most with a view of the golf course & lake.
The breakfast room was warm & welcoming & well stocked considering it was a self serve.
And there was a good variety of choices to eat. All food groups, both hot & cold.
So clean & well cared for. I appreciated the heated tile floor in the bathroom, just like home.
Location is just a drive away from the Ocean so make sure to take the drive. so amazing!

Room Tip: We chose the King suite for our family to gather as it has a living room and a separate bedroom.
1 Thank Agoldenmile
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Very clean, quiet place just outside of town, with modern, tasteful decor and amenities. Our room had a nice view, overlooking nearby golf course; breakfast (served in a dedicated room) was great - overall a great value!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank brocdog
MN
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Although the hotel backs up to Half Moon Bay Golf Links' Old Course, the view from our deck appeared more like the wooded backyard of a private home; a very quiet setting with big cypress trees. The room was nice, spacious and comfortable. The deck and deck furniture could stand an updating. The pool and hot tub didn't look very appealing The lobby was well appointed; airy with a yellow and blue/grey palette that fits the "close to the ocean" locale. Was it the Ritz? No (I'll save that one for a romantic trip to CA with my husband), but the price was unbeatable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ChelleAnn
California
Reviewed February 2, 2014

This has to be the best value in the entire Half Moon Bay area. It rivals a 5 star hotel in cleanliness, comfort, and thoughtful amenities. We had an upstairs room with two queen beds. They were made up with sparkling white sheets. I am always concerned with germs and bacteria and was happy to see that all the drinking containers were individually wrapped. They provided coffee, hair dryer, ironing board, flashlight, lovely toiletries, free wifi, large flat screen TV, a balcony with a pleasant view of the golf course and water, and topped it off with a delicious breakfast in a pleasant room. Nothing was left out, and we were very comfortable. Oh! And it is a pretty place as well. Nice pool, hot tub, and lovely landscaping.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs balcony room
2 Thank reallydisappointed