“Very enjoyable and close to where we wanted to be”

Half Moon Bay Lodge
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Walnut Creek, California
“Very enjoyable and close to where we wanted to be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Very nice lodge, but I should have done my homework before booking. I would have liked an on-site restaurant and bar, for example. I'm sure this was covered on the website, but I apparently overlooked this. The room was nice. We overlooked the golf course. When we unpacked, we found that there were no hangers in the closet. Because what we brought didn't really need to be hung up, I didn't call the front desk. We ended up having a meal at Mullins at the golf course at the Ritz which was good. We also spent time at our friends restaurant which is a must for people wanting an inexpensive good meal. It's called Daddy-O's which is housed in a bright yellow caboose right in Half Moon Bay close to Hi 92 & Hi 1.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

After travelling 10 hours from the UK the lodge was just what we wanted! Only 30 minutes from the airport it was a great top be welcomed by friendly staff. Our room overlooking the golf course was very clean and the bed most comfortable. We had a meal next door (on recommendation of reception staff) which we really enjoyed, fell into our bed and slept really well! The breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice and plenty of it. Will certainly make it a stop next time we visit the USA.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking golf course.
Southend-on-Sea,Essex,England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We recently stayed five nights at Half Moon Bay Lodge and it was nothng short of superb - I really can't understand some people's reviews on here,on things which are beyond the hotel's control (they can't eject other guests because they're a bit loud........!!).
Staff were very friendly and more than helpful.
The second floor room we had was very quiet (as we'd requested,as my wife's a very light sleeper) and the ceiling fan kept the room more than adequately cooled;it's San Francisco,not Palm Springs,so I don't see the need for air-conditioning.
Breakfast was great,and varied - far more than just "bagels and coffee",as someone has suggested.
Restaurant next door - very convenient.
Overall we had a great stay,and couldn't fault it - maybe we were lucky that the other residents weren't running riot through the hotel,and we didn't need to walk half a mile for an ice machine (try staying in a Vegas hotel,if you want an ice machine that's a long way away....) and I can only thank the staff for everything they done.
And we thought the area was quaint - Main Street was like a throw-back in time.
The San Fran area is an expensive place to stay,but we done our research and settled on this property - there were cheaper places (around the airport area) but we were more than satisfied.
If we ever visit the area again,we'd be more than happy to stay here.

Room Tip: If you're bothered about people walking around in the rooms above you....get a second floor room...
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Nice location just outside the downtown. We liked the communal garden tables for wine before dinner. The rooms were showing wear, but the fireplaces were a great touch. On site breakfast included with the room was nice. An adequate place, but not overwhelmed. A good stop over location without elegance. Super clean!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank PismoLulu
Keith W, General Manager at Half Moon Bay Lodge, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
We’re delighted that you enjoyed our breakfast experience, the cleanliness of your room, and ambiance of our patio and lawn area. Of course, we also appreciate the feedback regarding aspects of your experience that did not meet your expectations. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your concerns and to resolve them to your full satisfaction.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

The hotel is located close to the Ritz which is nice... from there it goes down hill.
The hotel is seriously dated. The walls are paper thin, There is NO air-conditioning.
There is a fan to move the air.. but THEY squeak horribly - I say THEY because you can hear the fan in both the rooms on either side as well. It is such a poor value for the money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Debbra R
Dear Debbra
Thank you for your review and for your recent visit. I am very sorry to learn that you found our hotel dated in spite of our recent renovation and that you experienced a problem with a ceiling fan. We are committed to creating an experience that delivers excellent value for the price. We would love to have the opportunity to serve you again. Please contact me so that I may personally guarantee your full satisfaction.

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here after moving our first child into the dorms at UC Santa Cruz, so it was a bit of a second honeymoon. We were very pleased with the room. It was very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was especially nice with Mexican tile counter tops. There was a wet bar, ironing board and iron, and nice robes for walking to the pool/spa. The included breakfast was not upscale but there was a good variety and lots of fresh fruit. We both felt like we got very good value for the rate.

Napa, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I really was looking forward to this stay, after reading extensive reviews on Yelp, Yahoo, and TripAdvisor. I sadly did not feel like I got a value for my money. Your basic room is $180 after tax. Yes, I knew this going in, but this decision was based on a lot of user review research before I committed to paying this kind of cash for one night in a hotel. But, what I read was 90% positive, so we splurged for a little mini vacation not too far from home. Frist of all, I'm sorry but Half Moon Bay is a pretty dull town. The shopping is better in Santa Cruz. This place is a barely renovated Best Western - it's a basic hotel in a ritzy hotel's clothing. The best thing about it, as most reviews will say, was the breakfast spread in the morning, it was pretty nice. Other than that, nothing remarkable about this place - the rooms have been painted, basically updated furniture, but still have broken windows in the bathroom, rusty old tissue dispensers, and my LORD is this place noisy. Every step someone takes - ground floor or upstairs - sounds like dancing elephants. All day. Most of the night...stomp stomp stomp. Yes I get it, it's a hotel, I'm not the only one there. But if you spend this kind of money to renovate an old Best Western, and then charge people accordingly based on that, I'd think you would make sure that the buildings are properly insulated for sound dampening. This is the kind of environment I'd expect at a $50 a night Motel 6 off the freeway, not an upscale lodge in a seaside tourist town. The pile of old mattresses that we had to look at and walk past while going to and from the front office was none too attractive either. Our bedspread was dirty on arrival - I have no idea who would use white comforters in a hotel anyhow, but I didn't bother to complain since we just folded it down anyhow and didn't sleep on it, but still. Then around ten pm, the nice drunk noisy party upstairs came back and was hooting and hollering for a few hours while myself and I'm sure others tried to sleep. The front desk girl was really nice and helpful when we checked in, even offering up restaurant suggestions. However upon checkout, the same girl was there, and we were not asked how our stay was, and I didn't offer an opinion. I just paid my inflated bill and left.

Perks: really nice breakfast set up, free internet and printing by front desk. (useful for Google maps).

That was about it.

4 Thank Stefani T
Keith W, General Manager at Half Moon Bay Lodge, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Stefani,
Thank you for your review and for your recent visit. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, restaurant recommendations and complimentary internet. Of course, I am also sorry to learn that you experienced problems with noise from other guests and that out recent renovations fell short of your expectations. Please be assured that our staff has been made aware of the situation, and we are committed to creating an experience that exceeds your expectations. If you will contact me, I promise to resolve your concerns to your full satisfaction.