I stayed here in January 2013 with my two kids for two nights on a cold but sunny weekend. The reviews here were so good and they were having a deal ($109/night) so we tried it. Our room was average although a bit dark and gloomy. It had a balcony but it was too cold to use but it did look onto a nice grassy courtyard. Breakfast was standard fare, we are vegetarian/vegan so we always bring a lot of our own stuff. The waffle maker was a nice touch and my son enjoyed making them. The room where we ate breakfast was quaint and nice. The outdoor pool looked nice and was really warm enough to swim in but we didn't get a chance since we came to Half Moon Bay to go to the beach. Beach access is a LONG WALK from the hotel but only a few minutes drive. Public parking lot extremely small so I imagine impossible to park at in high season. We had no problem though in the middle of January.
Other reasons for the average rating:
- we requested a microwave in our room and when we arrived in our room it wasn't there so we had to call down to get it. Not a big deal but the hotel was only half full in the middle of January so I imagine not that difficult to be on top of this sort of thing. Also, not enough towels. I always find it amazing that a hotel can book you into a room and know you have three people staying there, and they only give you enough towels for two people. This happens all the time, so I'm not blaming Half Moon Bay Lodge exclusively, but how hard is it to plan ahead and make sure there are enough towels in the room to accommodate the amount of guests? OR if there is a standard "two sets of towels in each room" then hand the guests the extra towels when they check in, or have it sent up right away. Seems an easy thing to do and would be so nice for guests not to worry about.
TV/cable selection was dismal but I think that is standard for Half Moon Bay in general.
Best thing about this location was the little massage place next door. I had an awesome hour long massage booked at the last minute. Very convinient too being right next door to the Lodge and an easy walk. Cloud 9 Foot Massage.
We would stay here again if they were having another sale, otherwise for the same price we will try The Beach House next time, which is oceanfront.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Half Moon Bay, where you can brave the waves of Mavericks, explore our community of arts filled with jazz clubs and galleries, and indulge in sustainable cuisine at premier local eateries. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Half Moon Bay Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Half Moon Bay Hotel Half Moon Bay
- Best Western Half Moon Bay
- Half Moon Bay Best Western