“Great welcome, good location”

Half Moon Bay Lodge
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed April 17, 2008

Popped in on drive up highway one. Good hotel reasonable value for money. Lovely rooms overlooking a golf course. Various restaurants a few miles up the road.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Bully1959Canaries

Reviewed April 15, 2008

WE LOVE THIS HOTEL! Seriously I know.... it's a Best Western..... and WOW, never did I expect such a GEM!

My only regret... not staying two or three more nights!

You can really see the pride of ownership in this place. Clean, quite, comfortable.... did I mention clean!

Yes, it is a three star at best, but the nicest three star i've been to and one i'll for sure recommend to others and come back to again when visiting Half Moon Bay!

Kudos to the owners!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LIBERTADTODO
Reviewed March 15, 2008

First trip to Half Moon Bay and we stayed at the Best Western. Hotel definitely lived up to its trip advisor ratings.

We were pleased with the delightful staff that took quite a bit of time to educate us on the area when we checked in. We chose a fireplace room. The room was generously sized but I am not sure if this was because of the room we picked. The grounds were in excellent condition and we overlooked a golf course.

What impressed me most about the hotel were the little touches. A live plant in the bathroom and a window in the bathroom to let in some fresh air and natural sunlight. The fireplace was woodburning, and they provide cute burlap bags full of wood that you simply light up to burn. Much easier and neater than messing with logs! They also offer cookies at 4 pm in the lobby, which I imagine kids would love!

I thought the continental breakfast was above average. A wide assortment, including hard boiled eggs and cheese for the carb conscious crowd. I do agree with the previous poster that the room is small, so you feel a lttle rushed to let other guests grab a table. There were plastic trays that you could have probably used to take breakfast up to your room.

I have a few things to note that weren't perfect.

The room where breakfast is served is not in the middle of the hotel, so you could be walking from the opposite end to grab a bite to eat. Same with the pool.

While we were here, there were some repairs going on at the hot tub during work hours. A little bit noisy, and would have been a dissapointment if we wanted to use the hot tub.

There is a condo complex adjacent to the hotel which has a small playground that can be viewed from the pool area. We did not investigate if it was accesible to the public, but it might be a nice diversion if you are bringing the little ones.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank honeymooncanada
Reviewed February 22, 2008

My wife, son and I stayed here in February during our trip to California. This by far was the best hotel we've stayed at in a long time.

Our room had a fireplace, patio and two very comfortable queen beds. The style of the hotel is Mexican mission. Lots of clay tiles and beautiful plantings.

Outdoor pool & hot tub, exercise room with sauna. Outdoor seating with a fireplace. All of the employees were very friendly . Also the property abuts a golf course.

I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mfsuperstar
Reviewed February 19, 2008

No particular reason we chose this hotel, but it turned out quite ok. Breakfast was not too nice, with plastic cutlery, paper cups and plates and no staff present. It was too crowded too. Room was as it should be for the price, nothing more or less.

The surroundings looked very nice, but we didnt have time to look closely.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2008

After reading the many great reviews here my husband and I decided to go for a one-night getaway. Through the hotel website we booked the "dinner and movie" one night package- the price included a one-night stay, a $75 gift certificate to a local Half Moon Bay restaurant, and an in-room movie.

Overall, we second the good reviews. Namely, prior to our stay, the staff was friendly and helpful in making reservations for our dinner, as well as accommodating our requests for a early check-in and late check-out.

I do believe this is a great value for the area: the room was spacious, clean, had a wonderfully-kept pool/spa and garden, ample breakfasts, and the lodge itself was not far from downtown and the beaches (you'll need a car). Keep in mind however that this is still a Best Western- and by that I mean the bedsheets, towels and pillows are standard fare- not the thread count and quality that you would get at the Ritz-Carlton nearby.

I would however really suggest it for families (there were many staying there) or for couples desiring a nice, quick getaway. I anticipate that my husband and I will be taking advantage of their other packages in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 20, 2007

This hotel is perfect!
Beautifully sized clean rooms, with a private patio. Comfortable bed, a wet bar and robes. A newspaper on your doorstep, exceptionally well maintained grounds, pool and hot tub. Didn't make it into the sauna, but am sure it was nice too. Very, very helpful, friendly staff, they let us park our bikes in front of the office and offered to watch them over night. What service!!! The contintental breakfast was fantastick. Waffles, boiled eggs, bagels, good coffee etc...
Close to Pidgeon Point Lighthouse, a minute or two from downtown Half Moon Bay. Highly recommend eating at Sams chowder house, just down the road. And Half Moon Bay Brewery
left onto Capistrano, follow the road around, it's on the right.
Highly recommended for all travellers.
If you want to stay in Half Moon Bay, this is THE place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2007