“Excellent!”

Ranked #10 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
london
“Excellent!”
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We walked in off the street to see if this place had a spare room for the night and I'm delighted we did.
Really traditional room, in Victorian style. At first we were frustrated there was no TV - it became a real plus - we got used to the relaxation no TV can mean!
The room was clean and very comfortable. I would recommend this for 1 or 2 nights - ideal for a relaxation before flying out of SF.
In terms of price, we got a great deal at the desk and paid less than £65 for a night.

• Liked — Lovely, traditional ambience
  • Disliked — communal breakfast table
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed September 12, 2008

The Good: Annex room was large, bright, and clean. The bathroom was large and so was the shower. Breakfast was good and staff were friendly.
The bad: Thin walls, hard bed, loud street noise and rooster at 6:30 am.
Overall: It is like half the price of most places there. So you may expect some bad things. If you are a light sleeper and prefer a soft mattress, this is not the place for you.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — thin walla
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BsyTrvlnFmly
SF Bay
Reviewed July 28, 2008

We were extremely happy to find a room at the Zaballa House. We were disappointed in our other B&B and therefore checked out ready to go home. We happened upon the Zaballa House before leaving and it truly made our vacation. We were looking to get away from work and the world and found that in the quaintly appointed rooms. Our room was one of the smaller ones with no tv but, we enjoyed every minute of it. The bedsheets smelled as if they had just come out of the laundry. Perfect. And there was a cute "room journal" that we read and made our own entry in. Others had written of the great food at the Pasta Moon Restaurant across the street so we gave it a try. Great...no superb recommendation. Excellent service. Just perfect.

• Liked — cleanliness and location
  • Disliked — short stay
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I stayed in Zaballa House quite by accident a few years ago, after the friend I was bunking with had to leave for New York on business. He suggested I check out the B&B "down the road" for possible accommodation.

It was one of the loveliest places I have ever been to - my intended 4 night stay ended up becoming a 2 month stint. Everyone really took me under their wing and I became an adopted local.

The breakfasts are amazing - especially the on-site, home-made granola. Also the beauty bar soaps that are provided in each bathroom are to this day probably one of the best face cleansers I have used. The rooms all boast personality and warmth, plus the luxurious antique bath tubs provide a home away from home feeling.

However its the people that really give this place charisma. If you want to gain a real sense of Half Moon Bay and its character you cant beat Zaballa House. I know that since my stay quite a few big chains (Ritz Carlton etc) have developed properties in the area - I only hope they havent ruined the old world charm of this unique and friendly vista.

After 9 years, I still think of this B&B and its people often - there's almost a tangible magic in the air - and I am finally heading back in 3 months for the last stop of my round the world ticket. I cant wait and I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when I arrive.

If you're lucky enough to be passing through Half Moon Bay - do yourself a favour and book in to Zaballa House, it will make for an unforgettable trip.

• Liked — The rooms, food, staff & location
  • Disliked — Absolutely nothing
  • Stayed April 2003, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 26, 2007

The Zaballa House is the perfect place to stay weither traveling alone or with a loved one. I stayed in the main house, room 7 which is upstairs and overlooks main st. It's a good size room with a comfortable bed, hard wood floors,a fireplace,small t.v and heater. The bathroom has a lovely large tub to soak in. Although there isn't an air conditioner or ceiling fan, just by opening the windows in the room will cool it down not that the area has hot weather! I think a heat wave is considered to be in the mid70's there!

Donna was great, answered all my questions and just made sure I was comfortable during my visit. Staff is available from about 7:30 a.m to 9:00 p.m. Inn keepers do not live on property, although a family friend of the owners does who keeps an eye on the place.

I really enjoyed my stay at this Inn. I read somewhere that it's supposed to be haunted, but don't believe it! I was the only guest in the main house on the night I stayed and nothing out of the ordinary happened! And I was next door to what is said to be haunted room 6!There's a good vibe to the place.

It's pet friendly, but only the rooms not in the main house in case of allergies.

My only complaint, if any, is that the Inn Keepers do not live on the property and there's no Wi-Fi.

• Liked — Comfortable place, great location
  • Disliked — Inn Keepers do not live on property. No Wi-Fi.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Room #12 is a very romantic suite. The Decor was outstanding.
The Front room was very comfortable and had a very nice fireplace for those cold evenings.

The bedroom was large w/king-size bed, beautifully decorated, and a romantic jacuzzi for two. The deck is nice on a sunny day which it was. It is a perfect suite for the evening, especially celebrating a birthday. It is one of the best rooms in Half Moon Bay.

The breakfast in the morning included four different quiches, fruit, bread, coffee, tea, juice. Just delicious with a very friendly staff.

Donna was wonderful in making our stay and my birthday memorable. She even sang happy birthday with such a great voice. I am looking forward to staying again at the Zaballa
House in Room #12.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank jazzyjudy7
San Francisco
Reviewed June 2, 2007

I visited during low season so it was pretty much deserted. The website had stated a certain room was quiet so I booked it. That was totally incorrect. It was a few feet from the street and I could hear the trucks and other traffic day and night. Also, the bed linens were so worn, I could see the pillow form through the threadbare pillow case!

Perhaps because there were so few guests, the nightly wine and cheese gathering consisted of over-chilled Chardonnay and Ritz crackers. I decided to pass on this largesse.

I requested another room and got a large suite in the back, which was truly quiet. Because I stayed a few days, I was supposed to get fresh towels everyday. I accidentally cut myself and bled on one of the towels and they never replaced it even though I left it wrinkled and obviously used. The maid just kept folding it up and hanging it back up on the towel bar.

There were also plates in the room for the guests to use and I found remains of a cake stuck on one of the plates which had been stowed in the plate rack! So cleanliness would not appear to be high on their list!

I would never go back even though the staff was friendly.

• Stayed January 2007