“Overpriced”

Ranked #10 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Mexico City, Mexico
“Overpriced”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The rate for booking it on-line was $190 plus tax, it was our one year anniversary so I booked it anyway, it was a waste of money. We got the smallest room in the main house. It was a very simple B&B, nothing special about it.

Room Tip: Walls are so thin that you can clearly hear your next door neighbors.
5 Thank Paty8a

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this "bed and Breakfast" for two nights. When we first entered the room it smelled faintly of cat urine so we left the door open to air it out. As we unpacked a few of our personal items we noticed a few bits of dry cat food on the floor. Then I opened one of the drawers in the bathroom and it was full of hair and I mean the entire bottom of the drawer was covered with hair. Room did have a fireplace which the fire would turn off but you could not get the heat to stop flowing into the room so it was hot, and there was no air conditioning. We would have opened the window however there was no screen and our room was along the walkway where other guests would pass so security and privacy along with possible bugs would have been an issue.
The staff was less than helpful and the breakfast was coffee, what was left over in the pot, juice, muffins and Thomas English Muffins - oh yes, and yogert and or cottage cheese. When we arrived at the breakfast table we had to request the dirty plates from the previous guest be removed then had to request silverware.
Along with everything else parking is an issue when the place is booked.
We would not recommend this place to anyone and wouldn't stay there again if it was free.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any.
5 Thank Jim-n-Anne

Travelers are raving about these Half Moon Bay hotels

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My wife booked the room for our one year anniversary. As soon as we looked at the room we were disappointed (room #8), a small room upstairs.

Booked room online $190 per night, through hotel's website http://www.zhousehmb.com/. Arrived at hotel to find out the same room was $175 (room #8 on card at front desk). When we spoke to the front desk they said "that is the way it goes, sometimes the online rate is more expensive, we don't manage the online rates". All the rooms upstairs are the "queen deluxe" but room number #8 is the smallest, rooms #6 and #7 are considerably larger.

We still had a wonderful time in Half Moon Bay, lovely area.

Room Tip: Select room # 6 or #7
5 Thank MuseumDesign
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I came here to spend some quiet time alone and have stayed in the hotel side in the past and this was my first visit in the B&B side. I'll be candid...I had some concern but the room was lovely, the bed was comfortable, linen was soft and my location was quiet. I was on the ground floor in room number 4. As far as the noise goes this is an old house and it is to be expected to hear some noise and being considerate of your neighbors is on us. I thought being close to the dining room would be an issue but I had no complaints, other than the murmur of conversation it was quiet.
I wouldn't consider staying anywhere but here for the value (hotel side), for a spurge of self-pampering and romance (B&B side), and the customer service. This is a great place to visit if you want a minimum commercial free experience to your coastal holiday. Yes, people have bad days and as a guest we should never be subjected to it but once I addressed my one experience among many great experiences (over the years) the issue was handled promptly by management. My favorite part is running into other repeat guests during my visits.
You are at the heart of a wonderful relaxing environment. If walking is not an issue the beach is not that far away and as a single woman I have always felt safe walking alone. The restaurants and coffee shop within walking distance are excellent and I have to admit that I have gotten stuck on visiting the same restaurants but when I wanted to try something new I was not disappointed. Staff gave great recommendations for dining and entertainment. If you are lucky to arrive when the free walking tour is offered by a local tour business I recommend taking the short, informative, walkabout.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank solo-wonderlust
Marina del Rey, California
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I listened to every word of a drunk couple until 1am next door. The offending room strangely had a set of keys in the door the next morning at 7am..Was it an employee I heard?.. Room was decorated like a plain white entry level studio apartment. Plain, nothing like a B&B I have stayed in before. No help(card) to figure out how to operate the two remotes connected to the older television, but it worked after I experimented. The room was clean, but reminded me on the inside of a highway motel. The town is nice. Other B&B's with much more character. Couldn't wait to leave. The exterior maintenance condition of the 2nd level walks indicates problems to me. Free folgers coffee in the room,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jp1500
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 4, 2013

The walls in this hotel are pretty thin, so you wouldn't want parties next door. However, it's located on Main Street and is convenient to restaurants, galleries and shops. Also, the breakfasts served at Zaballa House are delicious.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mary W
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I booked this hotel because the location was on Main Street. I knew it wasn't going to be great but I was disappointed. First of all, we arrived a couple of hours early and I thought I would check in, even if the room wasn't ready. The inn keeper was not welcoming to say the least. She "allowed" me to check in early since the room was ready. The room...... it was probably the worst one in the entire place. It was on the second floor of the other building. The room was a stuffy so I wanted to open the window. Well, the window that had a screen was broken and wouldn't budge! The open that was working, didn't have a screen, I left it open for a few minutes just to get some fresh air. The bed was okay, the pillows were flat and I asked for 2 extra pillows just to make it somewhat comfortable. Stains on the carpet and they claimed to have cable TV.... well, maybe ours was turned off because we could only get 6 channels that were in English and the rest were in Spanish! Very frustrating and disappointing. Breakfast was okay..... stale bagels with jam so old it was petrified when removed from the container. Also, the walls are paper thin. There is an "office" next to our room and a guy was making phone calls at 7:30AM and I could hear his whole conversation. I can continue but if you are reading this, you can guess I won't be going back to this hotel. The only good thing about this place is the location, it is walking distance to everything on Main Street, which is a huge plus!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family