“This is a great place”

Dining options: Reservations
Half Moon Bay, California, United States
“This is a great place”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

While not as attractive as other seafood places, everything here is great. Their chowder is THE BEST, their fried seafood is great, and also don't forget in the back you have the best fish monger in town. The owner is a local and supports the community big time too.

Drive past the idiot tourists paying high retail for fish at Half Moon Bay Seafood and by Sam's Chowder House for horrible service and mid-range chowder and head into Princeton!

• Visited November 2012

San Francisco, California
“Local Kind of Place Great Food Families welcome”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is one of those places you might be inclined to walk by and go to a more popular or tourist type place. In fact my family had done that several times even though we live in the area. We are very happy that we tried it out. The hearty family food is so fresh and sizes great. We had Calamari, Steak Sandwich, Crab Sandwich and kids meal. All were fantastic! They also have a variety of local fish and clam chowder. The service is genuine by locals not fancy waiters. Plenty of parking and can walk around pier and shopping so it is great. With a family I would avoid the "big deal" overcrowded, overpriced and marginal food places and go to Princeton. The total bills may not be cheap but for the value it is great.

• Visited October 2012
Nevada
“Maybe the specials are better”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our server neglected to tell us about the specials; I spotted them on the way out of the restaurant, and wished I'd ordered one. We'd ordered off the regular menu: half a dozen oysters as an appetizer, grilled rockfish with vegetables and red potatoes for my companion, and a grilled rockfish sandwich with sweet potato fries for me. The oysters were okay, but nothing special. We liked the butter grilled oysters better than the 'zesty' ones, which are just topped with a dab of tomatoey, generic-tasting cocktail sauce. My partner said his grilled fish and vegetables were better after he doused them with lemon, salt, and pepper; apparently they weren't particularly seasoned. I guess my sandwich was better than that -- there wasn't anything wrong with it -- grilled fish, a slice of tomato, some iceberg lettuce, and a toasted bun. I wasn't impressed. With fresh fish coming off the ocean at the pier right out the door, I was frankly expecting something special. And maybe the 'specials' are that.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank AnonInNv
“Top for couples and families”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

When you arrive it looks like a very simple and familiar place, just in front of the harbour. The service was lovely, it was really quite, not many people eating. We ate two huge plates of calamari and prawns deep-fried, everything was so tasty and the fish was fresh from the same day. We just spent 16$ per person and it was great!

1 Thank Supersaras
San Jose
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lunch date”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We were really hungry when we arrived after some wine tasting and walks on the beach. The clam chowder in a bread bowl was tasty! The calamari was tasty and not overly crispy. The oyster on 1/2 shell were ok but too many oyster shell chips. Overly priced for the quantity and quality.

Visited April 2012