“Good fried artichoke hearts and clam chowder”

Princeton Seafood Co.
Ranked #55 of 97 Restaurants in Half Moon Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Mountain View, Arkansas
“Good fried artichoke hearts and clam chowder”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

My wife and I tried Princeton Seafood for lunch on our trip along the coast from Monterey peninsula this past November. We shared a bowl of clam chowder and an order of sourdough bread. We split an order of fried artichoke hearts and the fish tacos with salmon and sweet potato fries. We had seen signs along the way from Carmel for fried artichoke hearts and had seen artichoke fields so we were anxious to give them a try. Princeton's artichoke hearts had a beer batter on them and were very tasty. The sweet potato fries were also very good but I was disappointed in the fish tacos. They had quacamole on them and it looked and tasted like the kind you buy at the supermarket. It did not appear to be freshly made. The clam chowder was as good as the other reviewers have said it was. The disappointing fish tacos prevented a higher rating for our lunch because everything else was very good.

• Visited November 2011

Half Moon Bay
“Oh, you really can do better than this, Princeton Seafood Folks”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Location, right at the harbor; excellent service by a fairly new server. Now, we come to the food. What a disappointment. Deep fried calamari - maybe not too bad, if you didn't have a spot just down the block that serves really great calamari in comparison. Entrees - Captain Rick's combo - not bad, but nothing to rave about, either. Reasonable amount of seafood in a nice tomato base sauce. Then there was the pasta dish. Admittedly, the server told me after we ordered that the pasta dishes were being removed from the menu by the new manager. Unfortunately, they hadn't been removed when we ordered the Pesto Linguini with combo shrimp/scallops. For some $18 I felt that I definitely was not kissed first. Although the pesto was tasty, there were 3 shrimp and a small handful of the miniature scallops (not even the thumb sized bay scallops, but something the size of my pinky finger nail after serious sanding down. When I mentioned this dish relative to the cost, was when the server told me about the planned removal of the pasta dishes.

This restaurant has had many good reviews -- I have no idea of what happened here. I would suggest that one stick with the catch of the day or some other fish dish with local caught fish, or the wonderful local dungeness crab.

Again, the server was great, the other staff very friendly. Since we are local, I will give it another try --- they are on the Restaurant.com coupon program and that is an additional incentive to retry it.

• Visited December 2011
Half Moon Bay, California
“What a great surprise!”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Little Princeton Seafood has branched out from a fresh-fish store with a few tables, into a warm and inviting restaurant with great food and great service. The artichoke soup is vegetarian [hallelujah!] and the sweet potato fries are heaven. Good coffee, nice atmosphere, and right in the Harbor.

Visited November 2011
Helsinki, Finland
“The manager is too authoritarian with the serving staff”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I awaited my dessert for 20 minutes during which the manager convened his serving staff in the restaurant to give them a lengthy pep talk about "any negative attitudes, and I'm straight up, you're out". It's the kind of thing you go to a restaurant by the sea to get away from. The pep talk significantly detracted from the quality of the dining experience and delayed the service. The service was excellent, but the manager was the problem for me.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank Tom C
Northern California
“Fresh, delicious seafood, wonderful fried artichokes, great lunch!”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The seafood couldn't be fresher, the setting more enjoyable for a wonderful family lunch. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Each of our lunch choices were very good, generous servings with complimentary drink refills. Clam chowder in bread bowl, shrimp sandwich, hamburger with all the trimmings, shrimp salad were all delicious. Can't wait to return for those artichokes though! Crispy, lightly battered and served with dipping sauces...yummy!!!
Good place for families, crayons and paper provided and service is timely.

• Visited October 2011