“Best Fish in Northern California ”

Sam's Chowder House
Reserve with OpenTable
Sam's Chowder House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 103 Restaurants in Half Moon Bay
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Half Moon Bay, California, Sam's Chowder House offers oceanfront dining and delicious seafood. Voted "BEST SEAFOOD" by the locals (Half Moon Bay Review Readers Choice Awards), and by the Bay Area BEST OF THE BAYLIST. Enjoy daily fresh fish, Maine lobster, local crab, award-winning lobster rolls, lobster spaghetti, oysters and clams from the raw bar, fried calamari, farm fresh salads, and more. Outdoor oceanfront dining and weekend music. Gluten-free and vegetarian options available, as well as a children's menu. Family friendly, with a dog-friendly outdoor patio.
Reviewed May 30, 2016 via mobile

This is not the first time that I've been to the Sams Chowder House in Half Moon Bay, but it is the first time that I've had a chance to review it. Keep in mind that I'm use to going to East Coast fish restaurants (NY, Mass., Maine) and this restaurant is almost exactly the same. I'm biased. This place is good, approaching excellent. The fish is fresh and the portions are good sized. On this trip my wife and I had their famous Lobster Rolls. WOW! Everything was excellent, even the service. I've been to Reds in Maine and this is as close as you can get without traveling 3000 miles to get it. The only problem we encountered was the long wait to get in. They open at 11:30 am and were packed even before the doors opened. Well worth the wait.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed May 29, 2016

My wife had petrale sole and I had chowder followed by seafood risotto and then key lime pie; these were all spectacular! Sam's is THE place to go in the vicinity of Half Moon Bay! Be sure to make an advance reservation. You will be rewarded by great food and a spectacular view.

Reviewed May 29, 2016 via mobile

We stopped by on our way down the coast based on a recommendation from a friend.

I had the lobster roll which was served without the traditional mayo/dressing, potato chips and Cole slaw. It didn't do anything for me, but it didn't taste bad. It was just too plain.

My Mom had the salmon burger, cucumber salad and old bay fries. She loved her meal and the fries were outstanding.

The view was spectacular.
We were $50 for two people (including one lemonade).

Reviewed May 26, 2016

We went here after seeing NBC list it as best for lobster roll. My husband said the roll was dry and crumbly, the lobster didn't have any butter on it. He only liked the clam chowder. I had sea bass served over grilled lettuce and cauliflower with some Farro and a dressing on that. The fish was crispy, the salad tasted great, just felt portion was small for the price.

1  Thank tsquared1995
Reviewed May 25, 2016

Tried Sam's once and decided to go back. We enjoyed the recommended lobster roll and actually everything we ate here. Service was friendly too. You can tell by the crowds that this is a good place! We sat at the bar while waiting for a table and the bartender was attentive too.