“Shocking !”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Half Moon Bay
Pelican Point RV Park
Newcastle,CA
“Shocking !”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was absolutely shocked by the attitude of the lady at the front desk. We showed up with 1 additional child than I had not told them while making my reservations ( How could I tell my daughter "no you cant bring your friend that doesn't get to do anything all summer" . As soon as I told the staff that I had an additional child, I was told " I suggest you stay somewhere else" I offered to pay for an additional space, because we were over the site limit, asked if we could stay just 1 night and find somewhere else tomorrow, basically I was just looking for any help, keep in mind this is a Friday night on the West coast and everywhere is booked and I have a motorhome full of kids.
Her only response was "you cant stay here" No, Im sorry , wish I could help, Nothing !
I did read some of the reviews on this site and just chalked it up to grumpy RV ers, etc. Boy was I wrong, I would sleep out in the rain,before I gave this campground one penny of my $ . I recommend the campground about 3 miles North, Pillar Point, theres really no amenities other than full hookups and cable, you are right on the water and the camp hosts are excellent !
I did mention the reviews to the girl at Pelican Points front desk and she replied " oh well,we don't care" Nice !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
17 Thank Jarvis M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Folsom, CA
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This park is one of the most beautiful sites you will find for an RV park. Half Moon Bay is notorious for being windy, and this park is quite sheltered considering it is such a short walk to the beach. You can easily walk to town, or down to the beach for tidepooling. This is not a new property, and is becoming more of a "full timers" choice rather than a vacation rental. But it is clean, safe, and quiet, and the wife and co-manager has always been most helpful and pleasant. We have stayed here many times over the years and have never had a problem; we will be here again in October and December. Focus on the wonderful location; expect there to be absolute rules and regulations; and just roll with it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FolsomGal
Camarillo, California
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I used to stay at Pelican Point even before the Ritz Carlton went in. I do not remember the people in the front office to be such jerks. The spaces are close together and the park is not very big. There looks like some full timers now which is fine but why anybody would live there I can't imagine. The tyrants that run the front office are awful people!. Especially the man! Yes, there are rules and my husband and I like that but let's be sensible , if your rig breaks down and you end up having to wait for help for two and a half hours and come in the park at 8:05 instead of 8:00 the guy will not let you in. He says the gate closes at 8:00pm NO exceptions! by the way, there are NO gates! This guy who runs the place is a complete jerk and does NOT care about people at all! He doesn't Have to be nice because he knows he's got the market , there is not another RV park around.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Bonnie L

Travelers are raving about these Half Moon Bay hotels

Brentwood, California
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Been there more than once with our relatives who go there at least 5 + times a year by themselves. They don't get any better service than first timers. They still can't come in any earlier than 1:00 pm, have never given them a free night for all the business they have given them.Don't allow their car dolly so they have to drive MH and car. You have to ask for the cash discount price, wonder if it goes on the books. If you don't back in the way they want you to, they are very rude, and may throw you out if you complain. In 2012, we arrived at 12:20PM and were told we could not check in until 1:00 pm, and told us to leave, we "could park at the shopping center down the road" and come back at 1:00PM. Our already reserved spot was empty and nothing had changed when we came back at 1:00PM. If it was not for our relatives who were already there, we have told them what to do with their park. This was in 2012 and our relatives are there now but not us. We will never stay at this park again. Any one that comes in with a car dolly, they tell you to take it out of the park and park it at the Safeway parking lot or wherever else you can find. What is stop someone from stealing it or even having it towed as this is a business parking lot, not a storage facility. And yes if you try to check in after 8:00PM, say 8:03PM, you are told to leave and come back tomorrow even if you had advance reservations and paid in advance. I have even read reviews saying they will call the police for "trespassing" if you insist on coming in after 8:00PM. The park itself is nothing special and actually old and not worth the your good money to stay there.. Go down the road and stay at KOA and you won't be disappointed; nice people and they make you feel welcome. Being near the ocean is the only thing it has, but not worth being treated like they are doing you a favor. Plenty of ocean down the road. BOB H. June 2013

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Bob H
Truckee, CA
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Soooo this is our second time staying here. We stayed Feb. 2012 and apparently we hadn't noticed the staff (owners) having been rude or inconsiderate. We just knew it was a great location to a walk on the beach with the dog, nice and quiet. When we had called several weeks back to reserve a spot (as we missed out on getting one for the night in the state park) the lady on the phone couldn't have been nicer. Than we arrived...I guess owning a business with a great location allows one to have no friendly customer service, because travelers like us who like to travel to great locations will continue to stay when there's no other choice near by. When I told the front desk lady that they had gotten a lot of bad reviews and now I beginning to see why she told me "just stay somewhere else next time" WOW, needless to say that is probably the only advice we'll take from her...and unless you don't have another option I would do the same...as I hate to spend our hard earned money on businesses that truly could care less on making their clients feel welcomed and appreciated for keeping their lights on.
Pros: quiet and close to a long walk on the beach with the dog.
Cons: too many to list
Oh and the first picture your see on this review with the fancy chairs...no idea where that was taken, it wasn't here.

Room Tip: No tents allowed, bring your own bed/RV We brought our own bed that is why sleep quality is excellen...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank ggintruckee
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great location! Only a two minute walk to the Pacific Ocean! I was met at the gate by two young ladies who were both professional and polite! They guided me back into my space and were extremely patient. After fully docking and setting my rig up, I completed the check-in process! I was provided with their rules sheet and a list of codes to gain access to their amenities! Given the close proximity to the ocean this park provides spacious lots! Several other RV parks just off of Hwy 1 are simply parking lots with electrical hook up. We were surrounded by other families with children and everyone found a way to accommodate each others need for space and privacy while enjoying the breath taking view! The quiet time rules were consistent with every other RV park where we have stayed! I would highly recommend this RV park and I'm sure our family will return several times this summer to enjoy the beautiful sun sets!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Utah23Utes
Castro Valley, California
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Recommend this rv park after many great stays over ten years. Just stayed 5 days. Quiet, no frills, well run park. Have to pay extra for wifi. Short walk to dog friendly beach and coastal trail.
Small store with some food, rv supplies, beer and wine. Clean bathrooms and laundry area. Club room good for groups. Have to make reservations way ahead of time for weekends.

• Stayed January 2013