“Wished I'd Stayed on the Coast”
Review of Half Moon Bay Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

What's nice about this place is that it's dog friendly. What's not so nice is the inn keeper's poodle is extremely UN-friendly. Quite a bit of snarling and barking when me and my canine checked in. Took a while to get the poodle and one other dog squared safely away in a little cubby, tho the snarling that persisted was not exactly relaxing or good for human communication. The cubby door didn't seem all that sturdy, either.

The rooms are really small. There's a nice porch/deck off some which helps. Too small a room for me and my Ridgeback. We were uncomfortable and kept tripping over my small overnight bag and sack of groceries.

The heater made an annoying sound all night.

As the Ridgeback and I explored the coast, we looked envyingly at a couple nice looking places. It's a dog friendly kind of area, so there are plenty of choices. I should have spent a bit more. That's what I'll do next time. A super nice place to roam around, restaurants with outdoor seating and fire pits make your special time with your pooch extra special, leaving one wondering why more parts of the Bay Area resist such positive inter-species experiences.

Unless you really really crave the nightlife of Half Moon Bay the town, I'd recommend lodging elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Carin C

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here one night in February, time permitting we would have liked to stay longer. Very nice and comfortable room and very friendly staff. Were given a complimentary room upgrade. The bed was super comfortable and everything was just so nice. My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at Half Moon Bay Inn.

1  Thank jimbo889
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Overall I loved the Half Moon Bay Inn. The location is excellent, smack in the middle of the cute little downtown area. The decor and the staff are charming, & the furnishings very comfortable.
I wouldn't recommend our particular room (#5), because it's directly above the kitchen - so you hear the exhaust hood running & vibrating almost all the time, & sometimes hear the staff shouting to each other. I emailed them when I realized I had forgotten something in my room, & they mailed it the next day, which I appreciated.
I would definitely stay here again, but only if I could get a room away from the kitchen.

Room Tip: ask to be away from the kitchen
1  Thank colomonica
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We decided on a whim this Sunday to stay over at Half Moon Bay after a long hike. I called the Half Moon Bay Inn in the morning, and was quoted a rate of $185+tax for a king room. A little pricey, but within our range. I confirmed the reservation with a credit card and went on our hike.

After checking in, I noticed we had been charged $240+tax! We immediately brought this to the attention of the front desk. The person explained that as it was part of the holiday weekend, they are charging the weekend rate on a Sunday. I said no one mentioned anything about any other rate than $185. She called the morning person, and after some conversation, said the morning girl said she had explained about the two rates, but will honor the weekday rate because there was confusion.

This was an OUTRIGHT lie! At no time during my phone conversation did she mention any other rate, just that the King room was $185 and the queen room was $145. I would have had more respect for the establishment if they admit they made an mistake, and insisted on charging the "correct" rate of $240. Instead they blatantly LIE about a conversation with a customer, making it sound as if we were misrepresenting the reservation, and were trying to take advantage of the hotel. We travel widely through out the world for both business and pleasure, and this was the FIRST time I have ever had a hotel do a "bait/switch" on the rate and than accused us of lying about it!!

We will certainly NEVER stay here again (in addition to this episode, the room we had was extremely noisy). All in all a truly terrible experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing main street are extremely noisy.
1  Thank Judy D
hmbinn, Owner at Half Moon Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

I'm sorry for the confusion you experienced. Our staff certainly did not mean to offend you. As you know it was a busy holiday weekend. Our rates were posted properly on our website. We made an honest mistake in quoting you our normal Sunday rates versus holiday Sunday rates. We voided the transaction, and charged you our week day rate, that same day. Please accept our sincere apology for any misunderstanding .

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Rethink your stay here! Myself and three girlfriends stayed for two nights and between the restaurant below the Inn and HMB Inn we spent over $1500!!!!! We had one peaceful lovely evening to be followed by arrogant, blatant and completely unprofessional night provided by the restaurant below the Inn called "It's Italia" They had a party in the back patio area attended by both the restaurant and the HMB Inn employees. Being in the customer service industry both "owners" did not respect or consider the PAYING guests or their surrounding neighbors (the town is multi purpose with housing only yards away) the party on the back patio of the restaurant included live music which included speakers, amplifiers and of course, microphones set up right next to the wall of one of our rooms. The party went on and on…..until we, as PAYING guests, at the Inn called the SHERIFF to report the noise level of the "subdued" party (owners of the HMB Inn's words, not ours) as it continued up until 11pm……really folks, not one person from either the Inn or the restaurant could have the foresight to know that 11am is too late to be playing music at that level on a SUNDAY night, as PAYING guests, WE had to call the sheriffs in to stop and shut down the music …….wow,
how unprofessional of both owners of the HMB Inn and It's Italia. When we voiced our concerns the next day, we where told that it was their polices to always notify the guests of such events so you could move to a quieter room…..we where never notified or never offer to be moved. Upon a follow up on the situation almost week later and NO word from the owners of HMB Inn, WE had to contact the owners for a follow up, HER suggestion for future stays in Half Moon Bay is to stay somewhere else……...are you kidding me, that is your solution!! The just end was they sent us a gift certificate for one night stay during the week with NO apology or note in the certificate….wake up call HMB Inn, you need to review your customer service strategies. I would be ashamed to treat someone who dumped that kind of money into my establishment and then treat them like s&*t. Shame on you and the restaurant for not providing customer service on any level.
I will send the gift certificate back so they can make ear plugs out of it for there future unfortunate guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Debbie251
hmbinn, Owner at Half Moon Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

I'm so sorry your stay at the Half Moon Bay Inn was so negative. I was hoping that you would give us another opportunity to stay with us, using the gift certificate I sent you, on a more typical night in Half Moon Bay and not the weekend of the Christmas holiday party season. We take pride in providing excellent customer service to our guests and regret that we could not meet your expectations.

Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Nice little Inn right in town. The rooms are nicely furnished and clean.
We stayed in the cottage suite.
The bed was very comfortable making it hard to get up and get going in the morning. I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in town.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Scott P
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. They showed me and my small dog to our room. The room was very beautiful and comfortable. The room overlooked the main street, right above an Italian resturant. The noise was minimual and tolerated. I had a great time and an excellent stay. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo