“Yum, Yum, Yummy!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Kudos to the Flying Fish Bar & Grill! We stopped in for lunch and had a wonderful experience there.

Deciding what to order took some time because there were so many things we wanted to eat. We'll have to go back again.

After reading other reviews, we ordered the Crabby Cheesy Bread. I am happy to recommend it. It consists of French Bread, with a cheese spread (Parmesan?), and topped with Dungeness Crab, all broiled in the oven. It was rapidly devoured. We would have ordered more but at almost $10 for six pieces, it would have been too expensive. But we were content with our other selections.

I began with their Cream of Artichoke Soup, which is only served on weekends. The fine taste of the artichoke shone through on this soup. Again, it was devoured.

I then had the Wood-Fire Grilled Scallops, with Rice Pilaf. The scallops were large and perfectly cooked, but being scallops prepared simply, combining each forkful with the delicious rice made it all the more enjoyable. My companion had a special request for 2 Crabcakes on a sandwich roll. Once this was fully explained to the server, he got what he wanted and enjoyed it.

We were much too full for dessert, but did order two more Crabby Cheesy Breads to-go, for appetizers that night for a small dinner party. They re-heated very nicely at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.

The restaurant is bright and cheerful, with a tropical beach theme. Service is good.

1  Thank FoodGroupie9

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Flying Fish Grill was pretty highly rated by my fellow traveling trip advisors, so I figured it would be great! It wasn't great. It was just OK. We started with the crab rangoon--- a family favorite. It was forgettable. The cheesy garlic bread was not at all to my liking, but my son and wife gobbled it ALL up. So, maybe they should be writing this review!! My seared ahi was very nice, the sides were ordinary. My wife's asian salmon was good. My son's grilled salmon was ok. Prices are modest and the service was good enough.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were here on our last visit in 2008 and loved it so much we ate lunch here twice at that time. We were surprised to see that it had grown up from a tiny storefront dive with a few tables inside and out to a big spacious restaurant. We feared that would mean the food quality would have gone down but it hadn't slipped a bit. We miss the little original place but were happy for them that it has prospered. There's a reason....the food is really good. Go for the fish tacos and the shrimp tacos...some of the best we've eaten.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was afraid that this place is not fully appreciated. Why? Because this is not a sea side restaurant, does not sell T-shirts with its logo and it is one of the first restaurants entering Half Moon Bay, easy to overlook when driving from San Mateo. Well.. it's number 4(four)! They shall do something right! First of all is the food! Everything is so good and so fresh. Second is the price, which is quite reasonable. Third is the service; I like people smiling and friendly. Shall I mention that there is sufficient parking around? Please do not miss it. Before first traffic light look left and go no further. If you are a traveler with only one day in the area go here; you will not regret.

1  Thank Calator438
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went to the Flying Fish on an unexpectedly rainy, dreary day in mid-June. Although the hostess seated us in the back room, we found it dark and overly cool with the overhead fan and back door open. We asked for a seat by the window and that was a big improvement. The folks walking by provided added entertainment. Based on recent reviews, I ordered the crab cake sandwich on focaccia; it was enough for two! It was excellent, if pricey ($16). My husband chose the California wrap and took half of it home ($9). Sandwiches come with fries and coleslaw -- lots of food! We would definitely eat here again if we are passing through.