“Great little find!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed September 30, 2010

While passing through on Rt 1, we pulled over to check out the beach for a second and asked a woman if she knew of a good place for lunch, she exclaimed, "Yes! Barb's FishTrap, We just came from there!" It sounded perfect so hubs & I found it, and had no wait at all. I ordered the Fish & Chips, but my husband ordered the grilled, blackened catch of the day - it was good, but he was so jealous of mine, we drove back down from SF the next day for lunch just so he could have his own - and I, if you must know, had another one....LOL

Reviewed September 19, 2010

Long wait on a Sunday around 2:30pm. We were originally going to go the brewing co across the street... But I asked a guy in the parking lot were we should go and he suggested Barbs. We were told it would be 20 minute wait which turned into a 35 minute wait. We were actually walking across the street to leave when they called my name on the loud speaker. Service sucked... We had to get the highchair ourselves. Never got a refill. Chowder was just ok. Fish and chips were fresh... But, they netter be with a location next to the water. My husband and I were not impressed at all. Not worth the wait.

Reviewed September 8, 2010

Worst meal we have had on our trips to half moon bay. I am shocked by the good reviews this place has gotten. I can only imagine that the view must be so great that you can forgive the terrible food and service. We were there at night so we didn't feel so forgiving since we couldn't see the view. Service was non-existent. Had to track down a waitress to take our order, bring the check and then take our money. We were thirty enough to try to get our empty glasses refilled so they weren't. I had the fried seafood sampler which was bland, overly breaded and greasy. Husband had his fish grilled and it was overcooked and flavorless. Just all around bad. And it was also really expensive for the low quality of the ingredients. We joked before dinner that we should just go back to Flying Fish Grill where we had a great dinner the night before. After dinner we really wished we had done just that.

2  Thank DoglawyerATX
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Never got a chance to eat here. 10 minutes to be seated. Once we were seated, we gave up after waiting another 15 minutes without even water offered.

The prices were high. The quality looked mediocre. I spoke with a local outside that said the calimari is great and that he likes the fish n chips but it's too breaded.

Atmosphere seemed like a cool seaside restaurant.

We walked across the street to the brewery and had excellent chowder and fish tacos. Service was good. Prices were a little high here too but the quality of food looked MUCH better than the trap.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

We had a fabulous meal with a fantastic view! This is a little gem and well worth stopping at if you're travelling through the Half Moon Bay area.

My husband and I shared the seafood platter which was more than enough for 2 people. The plate that was brought to our table was practically overflowing with shrimp, calamarie, little squid, cod fillets and scallops. Although it was all deep fried, the batter was very light and everything was cooked to perfection...not at all overly greasy. We had the baked potato and shared the clam chowder that came with the meal (also fabulous!). The complimentary sourdough bread was fresh and crusty too.

My daughter, who is not a seafood lover, order the pasta primavera in garlic butter sauce which she reports was "really, really good!". Coming from a picky eater, that's quite a compliment. I was also impressed by the fact that our waitress asked if my daughter was allergic to seafood or just didn't like it. She explained that they take special precautions in the kitchen for those who are allergic to seafood so there is no cross- contamination especially with the shell fish. I have never been asked about that at even at highend restaurants so we were quite impressed by the service.

The restaurant was full although we didn't see people waiting for tables. This is probably because there is a heated patio that probably absorbs much of the overflow during the busy seasons. We also noticed (by the interactions of the waiters with the patrons) that there were a lot of regulars there...always a good sign. Our waitress was a bit of a character and gave us prompt and attentive service sans the smiles and niceties. We quite enjoyed her no nonsense service and were happy to tip generously. Considering the quality of the meal and service, it was very reasonably priced...probably one of the best deals you'll find in that area.