“Just okay, not spectacular”
Review of Barbara's Fishtrap

Barbara's Fishtrap
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Modesto
“Just okay, not spectacular”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I had read some iffy reviews on here, but the restaurant we really wanted to go to...the Flying Fish or something like that, was closed in order to move to a bigger location, so this was our second choice. The service was fine, our servers were friendly, not terrible, and we did receive a lot of food for our money, but I don't think I expected so much fried and greasy. We ended up tearing off the breaded part and just eating the prawns and fish underneath it. We don't typically eat that way, so after leaving that night my kids, hubbie and I all had stomach aches and felt like the food was just sitting like a rock in our tummies. And the clam chowder was a disappointment for sure. My husband and I always look forward to a bowl of clam chowder when we head to the coast, but this one, I have never tasted anything like it. Not very creamy and it didn't seem to have any dairy in it??? Not a foodie here, but I just know it wasn't like the typical clam chowder you would get.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Lincoln, CA, USA
“15 minute wait for very good food”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Our waiting time for Sunday dinner was as promised by the name-taker. Prices are reasonable for the large portions served, and the quality is pretty good. Most dishes come with a choice of sides, including house-style clam chowder that is a little different than normal, but very good. We also had calamari with cole slaw, large portions of both.

All Over
“Fish & Chips Were Just Okay”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Decided to try this place based on trip advisor reviewer comments and it really wasn't spectacular. Wouldn't go out of my way to go here again. It wasn't totally bad, but tasted like frozen Gordon's Fisherman instead of what I expected which was fresh ocean caught fried fish. Maybe my expectations were too high, but they are located on a bay so how they get away with serving locals this frozen, greasy stuff is baffling to me.

Colorado
“An OK Place.”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

It's on the water, but don't expect much of a view. Inside was crowded and warm. We ate on the front porch where there are several large tables. Service was friendly and efficient. Food was mostly fried and just OK. Prices were good considering the location. Overall, a good place for our family of 4 adults and 4 kids.

• Visited June 2011
San Mateo, California
“Barbara's Fishtrap traps your money!”
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Here's what we got for $43: 1 crab sandwich (no sides), 7 chicken nuggets (no fries), 2 bowls of clam chowder (luckily we got plastic spoons).
Here's what we didn't get: Drinks ( brought "free" water from home), Bread (must be seated inside the restaurant), Seats ( curbside "dining" means that we literally sat on the curb), and Service (get in line, pick up your own utensils and eat standing up). And guess what? No credit cards! With these prices - for virtually nothing - they need to provide something that resembles a chair at least! Remarkably the line was out the door for seating inside and I can only imagine the inside prices went beyond the stratosphere. (But, hey, they got bread!) Truth be told, the clam chowder was overloaded with tarragon and 7 dry chicken nuggets sat like rocks in my stomach (probably because I was worried about my toes hanging into the street).
Please stay away from places like these that give good restaurants a bad name, and show tourists that we Californians are out to separate them from a large amount of their vacation budget. If Barbara's Fishtrap is charging these prices for the view, perhaps they need to ensure their customers that they actually get something more than the bottom half of passing cars!

• Visited June 2011