“Great place for lunch!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Sushi Main Street (the smaller restaurant on Main St. itself) is where I take friends for lunch when in HMB. Japanese food, service, and bento prices are unbeatable during lunch time. The Asian decor is inviting and my friends are always pleasantly surprised by the venue. When someone is visiting the area, Sushi Main Street is a definite favorite when in Half Moon Bay during the day for the ambience, food, service and price!

Reviewed February 1, 2014

The table was extremely dirty. The waitress was very slow, disinterested and borderline rude. Some things we ordered were never delivered. The food was soggy.

In my book, this was a grand slam home run. If you *wanted* to create a disappointing experience, I don't know how to top this one.

1  Thank W0nka
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Sushi Main St is a locals favorite. We have dined here for over a decade and the food is consistently fresh, delightfully eye pleasing and delicious. If you manage to get one of the long time servers, you are in for a treat. Love the sweet woman who serves the front side dining room, facing Main St., in the evenings currently.
The only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is the occasional times staffing has not been properly handled. The wait time and service drop like a lead balloon. I know this can happen to any service business, it just seem to happen here frequently.

1  Thank Debby I
Reviewed October 25, 2013

These guys were real close to a 5 star review, but I can't quite justify it.

The sushi here is really good, not superb, but definitely above average. They offer an impressive range of rolls. All of them were good. They also have large beers (the Rogue brown ale is tasty and paired well). Everything was very fairly priced ($45 with tip for 2 people, including sake and a beer!)

The ambiance is not homogonized, its actually a unique looking sushi bar. The woody structure on the ceiling was hella rad.

We went on a cloudy Wednesday night, and it was still hella crowded, so we had to sit at the bar.

The host/waitress had given us a choice between waiting 30 minutes for a table, or sitting at the bar. We opted for the bar. After seating us there, we waited about 15 minutes for her to acknowledge we were still there. She wouldn't look over at us, because she was rushing around to all the tables. We ordered from the sushi bar chef guy, and she came like 10 minutes later to ask if we were ready to order. The same thing happened the whole meal. Never came to ask how our food was, and was slow to return with the check and dessert. I don't think it was her fault, I think the restaurant was understaffed. Please staff this restaurant better. That was my only complaint, but it mattered to me.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We visited this lovely restaurant on our first evening in Half Moon Bay. The waitress made us chose between the two empty table they had and we opted for the one close to the entrance door, as the other one was very close to the Brazilian musicians playing. We ordered some sushi and sashimi, plus my favourite - Japanese sea weeds and miso soup. The sushi was very good, and the sashimi very fresh and tasty. But what we really liked was the atmosphere of this place. Too bad we will not have the chance to go back, at least during this trip, but we really enjoyed the experience!