“We loved Landis Shores”

Ranked #5 of 11 Half Moon Bay B&B and Inns
San Jose
“We loved Landis Shores”
Reviewed May 21, 2007

After 27 years of marriage and many wonderful B&B's – a place has to be really special for me to take the time to write a review...and this B&B is.

The ocean is as close as possible - right off our balcony. The spray hit my face - exactly what I wanted.

The food - impeccable, the wine list - extensive, the owners (yes they sit down and talk) made us feel as if we were the only guests there. Obviously, we weren't - but it felt like we were.

We have stayed at this inn several times, each time staying in a different room with a pleasantly different decor. While every room is unique, the service and complementary breakfast is consistently gourmet. The complementary wine and appetizers are straight forward and designed to please the average palate, but the wine list is designed for those of us who truly enjoy wine and can please the most discriminating.

It’s tempting to want Landis Shores to be "your" secret place - but it would truly be a shame not to share it.

• Liked — pretty much everything
  • Disliked — I don't eat pork and there was sauage for breakfast-but I had not informed them
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tthrockmorton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
cleveland
Reviewed March 24, 2007

Awesome - every detail was perfect! Superb service, exquisitely decorated, and the staff was warm and welcoming from start to finish. Our private deck was right on the ocean front; we loved relaxing on the deck, watching sea life and boats out on the ocean with the binoculars provided; and hearing the sound of the waves crashing to shore. It was so relaxing in front of our fireplace watching DVD movies selected from their movie library. And don't miss taking a whirlpool tub bubble bath! Evening wine and tasty appetizers were delicious - smoked trout spread was heavenly, loved the Pecorino cheese too, which was great with the Merlot. To top it all off, we had one of the best night's sleep ever!

• Liked — service and view
  • Stayed March 2007
1 Thank traveltheworld12
Marin County, Northern California
Reviewed January 2, 2007

My husband and I just came back from a night at Landis Shores (possibly the same night in late December as the reviewer above, and as my husband said on reading her review, "wish we'd known they were there, perhaps we could have shared their wine and snacks"!) Here are our comments.

The best thing by far about the Inn is the location. It really is water front, with a balcony overlooking a quiet street that then fronts directly onto the ocean. So you get the sound of crashing surf, or lapping waves, and you also have primo position from your room (or balcony) to watch the sun go down, as we did.

And now for some words about the "balcony". Yes, there is one with every room. As far as we could tell, perhaps with the exception of a room which had corner position, they were all the same size, and that size would best be described as postage stamp size. I mean it was hard for us to get the 2 people plus the 2 tiny plastic chairs and table on the patio without bumping into each other, or moving the furniture so we could go in or out. Yes, we did immediately spill one of the glasses of complimentary wine in the process of all this maneuvering.

And now, a few words about the wine and cheese complimentary evening thing. I have to agree with the previous reviewer. Considering I had read that one of the innkeepers was a sommelier, I had high expectations. And while I do understand that some people might not appreciate a very good bottle of wine, white zinfandel?? come on. I had the chardonnay, which was very average Trader Joe's kind of deal. Didn't try the Merlot or the pink stuff. And I also noticed the glasses appeared to be promotional ones from some event like the kind you'd get at a street fair! The cheese plate looked like some slices of processed cheese plus a few crackers and grapes and some cream cheese with bits in. Nothing special. While this might sound a little snobbish, the reason I found these things so disappointing is that this place advertises itself as a luxury B&B and the prices you pay are certainly in that category. For our money, there was nothing luxury about it.

It's a B&B, but in our opinion (and we discussed extensively why we were so disappointed) it's really not a whole lot more than a decent motel with a great position on the beach. The rooms, to my mind, were sterile and though adequately furnished were kind of lacking in character or style. Witness the fact that we were paying $295 for a room for the night. We had an ocean front view - wouldn't you expect a nice comfy chair or chaise by the window to be able to relax and take in that view? Instead there were 2 not very great looking upright (i.e. like dining) chairs and a tiny little table. The bed was comfortable enough, but the bedding was nothing special. Perhaps our expectations were out of line, but again, considering the "luxury" moniker, I was thinking big fluffy duvet, high thread count sheets... not the kind of country style floral patterned bedding we had. The bathroom was big, with a nice shower and a whirlpool tub we didn't even use. Nice robes were provided too.

The common areas also in my opinion were sterile. The breakfast area (also where the wine and cheese is located in the evening) just wasn't welcoming. If you're expecting comfy overstuffed chairs to hang out in by a fireplace, you'll be disappointed. Breakfast was OK. No choices (though in fairness if we'd had any special dietary requirements they would have adjusted) - so we had grapefruit halves, orange juice and french toast.

A few more plusses about the location. There is a cute cafe about 2 doors down where we sat and had coffee and watched the sun go down the day we left. Very beachy bohemian, and loved that. A couple doors further down again is a beautiful building hosting a wonderful gallery (Dayle Dunn Gallery - [-]) which was lovely for browsing. Finally it's close to Half Moon Bay, with lovely shops and restaurants there, and a great stopping off point if you're headed (as we did) to Ano Nuevo State Park to see the elephant seals - that is quite an experience!

Sorry Ken and Ellen, but considering the place is only 7 years old and built to spec, it left us just a bit cold and feeling cheated.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Sterile room and public areas
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LarkspurGirl
bay area california
Reviewed December 30, 2006

My husband and I just came back from a night at Landis Shores and here are some comments. The location is water front, as close as you can get - the sound, the smells, you get it all.The primary reason we selected this inn was the website indicates the owner was the former sommelier for the Ritz Carlton HMB and has an award winning wine list. Being wine lovers we thought it would nice to check the place out.
The common areas of the inn were spotlessly clean and fresh, as was our room. The overall theme of the inn was certainly wine-based with many pieces of "wine-art" hanging about the hallways and rooms. We stayed in the Bordeaux room for $345.00 per night, I believe it is the properties highest priced room. Breakfast was included and offered to be delivered to our room (with attention to any dietary restrictions) or to have in the common area, we selected our room.
The bed was comfortable and the linens were very nice. Fluffy bath towels and nice spa bath products, no in room coffee but a small fridge was provided. Whirlpool tub for one and beautiful shower graced the bathroom. Thought and care were put into the finishes of this inn.
At 4:30pm we were happy to take advantage of the wine and appetizer offerings served in the common area (complete with fireplace, sofa, tables and chairs) and were very excited to see what wines we might be able to sample. My husband and I found it a bit odd that the wine glasses were mismatched and appeared to be random, souvienier type vessels. To our surprise the merlot served was bottled in Texas and another offering what a white zinfandel (please). Honestly the merlot was awful. We nibbled briefly on some crackers and cheese that were forgettable and I tried a small quiche-like hot appetizer that I am fairly sure came from the local Safeway freezer. We were really taken aback. Thank goodness we had brought a bottle of our favorite winery (Justin) and packed our own comice pear, mimolette aged cheese, stone ground wheat crackers and chocolate. We decided to retreat to our room.
Here's where things get interesting and remember - the inn has a wine theme and the owner is a former sommelier -
I asked the innkeepers wife if there were wine glasses in our room and she indicated there were not (why I am not sure) however we could take a couple from the appetizer service which we did. Upon going back to our room my husband and I looked at our bottle of Justin and wanted some appropriate glassware for red wine. Husband goes back to the innkeepers wife and asked for some large bordeaux glasses as the one we had taken seemed too small for good drinking. She said sure and that she would bring them down to our room. We begin to prepare our own in room snacks and speak briefly about our confusion over the poor stemware and sad cheese and cracker tray. Innkeepers wife arrives with our glasses - "Great!, " we think in anticipation of our wine swirling future. The glasses were larger - but they were again, commemorative Wells Fargo concert series glasses - not large balloon glasses appropriate for wine enjoyment.
Here's the thing - For $345.00 per night in an inn that advertises it's wine list and is wine themed you should have the right glasses - PERIOD. I can forgive the low end wine at the afternoon service, I am sure lots of folks who stay here don't know wine and couldn't care less. I can understand the reluctance to serve better wines as it could be expensive over time and much could go to waste on young palates. HOWEVER - if I tell you I have brought a bottle of wine and then actually come back a second time and ask for an appropriate glass should be the alarm that goes off that says, "Hey, this guest actually drinks wine and I will get them appropriate stemware!"
It was very, very dissappointing.
So just to finish up - in the morning coffee service is available in the common area at 7am. Breakfast was brought at 9am which was a wonderful banana bread french toast, juice and fruit. The do not bring coffee nor tea to your room - you must go to the commom area and fetch it yourself.
The wine list at the inn is extensive.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank sjalberts
San Jose, CA
Reviewed November 20, 2006

The Landis Shores Inn was a great place to stay in Half Moon Bay, CA. I really loved the location - right across the street from the ocean in the area called Miramar (see the ocean).

The property itself was excellent and so was the service. The room, called the Napa Valley, was very nice - fireplace, whirlpool tub, private balcony, etc.

The Inn is really a B&B with breakfast served in the morning and wine and eats in the afternoon. One of the nice things about the Landis is that one of the owners is the former somelier of the Ritz Carlton right down the road. The Landis has a great list of wines that you can buy.

Overall, I would rate this place a 4 Star and will definitely be going back to stay again.

Stayed November 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

Landis Shores is a lovely coastal retreat. It was a wonderful place to celebrate our 20th. anniversary. The proprietors, Ken and Ellen Landis, are very professional and personable. Their service was excellent yet non-intrusive. Upon arrival, Ken personally showed us to our room. The view was breathtaking. The inn sits on a quiet little street that is right on the beach. We enjoyed a marvelous sunset sitting out on our own private deck. The room had a cozy gas fireplace surrounded in beautiful black granite. The bed was a delight with a down comforter, nice soft linens, and fluffy pillows. It was very restful with the sound of the ocean and the refreshing breezes lulling us to sleep. Soft comfy robes were provided for lounging. Even the bathroom was a treat. It was spacious with a nice stone shower and a bubbling air massage tub that was fabulous. The floors were beautiful natural stone with radiant heat. Everything was very clean and welcoming. In the morning, Ellen graciously served us breakfast in our room. The food was excellent. Everything was homecooked and fresh. We loved it and will definitely go back again. Ken and Ellen did a wonderful job seeing to our every need. We have been to many lovely places, but this is our new favorite. It was quiet, peaceful, and romantic.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2006

First, let me say the view is wonderful from the balcony of this inn. The ocean is only meters away!
Unfortunately, the room does not live up to the view. The radiant floor tiles do not really get the room temperature up to the comfortable level. The furnishings are not distinct and lack character. The fireplace is gas, but nice. The balcony door lock was broken.
The breakfast is good, but i would not say it reaches to the gourmet level. Service is very good though.
Had this inn had fine cotton sheets, fluffy towels and a unique character, i would have rated it 5 stars.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business