“Take your money and go somewhere else”
Review of Sea Horse Ranch

Sea Horse Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful guided coastal trail and beach horseback rides on dramatic Coastal Equestrian Trail and Half Moon Bay's Poplar Beach. Minimum riding age is 7 years old. All rides appropriate for first time, moderately experienced and very experienced riders. Online reservations required, height/weight restrictions available online, check before booking. Barbecues available for groups of 10 people or more. Closing time ends with seasonal changes. Always open for early bird ride at 8:00 a.m., by reservation.
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

I normally check reviews before I do anything but didn't this time because I thought, "horseback riding, it should be fun." I called and made reservations. When we got there (few minutes late), the witch behind the counter just looked at my party, shook her head and said, "you're late!" She went on to say that she had given our horses up and that she'll go and check to see if there were additional horses.. She comes back to tell us there were. She points at the sign and told us to read their policy and safety. She spoke to us like we didn't know any English. After that attitude, we just looked at each other and said, "no thanks" and left. She shook her head and shrugged her shoulders. Her lost. We just saved ourselves $600+. There were 10 of us.

9  Thank Traveler95340
"trail guides"
"best deal"
"great shots"

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I thought this was going to be iffy based on some of the reviews, but we had a blast. The lady that took our money will not be winning Miss Congeniality any time soon, but she was extremely effective and like I said...we had a blast.

2  Thank Kendall B
Reviewed July 2, 2013

So glad I heard about Seahorse Ranch from a friend. The price was affordable for the experience that we will never forget from our girls' trip. Definitely for adults as horses will get competitive and begin to gallop suddenly. Would be easy to fall off and not any instruction before horses begin. The views from horseback were amazing and going through the tree tunnel in the mud was incredible. Being horseback on the beach with the waves roaring in was a bucket list to not be missed. The photographer was the most helpful staff member. He gave tips about how to ride the horse and seemed to know the individual horse personalities. The photographs were worth buying - the CD is the best deal. Wear pants with zipper pockets and sunglasses. The helmet was pretty dirty - I'd recommend bringing your own if you have one. Parking is no problem and car is secure. The experience would be enhanced with guides who have stronger interpersonal skills and more positive mood, but the ride would probably be more expensive then.

3  Thank dreamtravelreviewer
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Loved it!!!! When we got there they asked us if we knew how to ride horses. We said yes, as we have some of our own and ride frequently. Needless to say we both got two hot horses. But I wouldn't have changed horses if given the chance. It was a nice ride!!! Gorgeous views. It was nice because we were able to stay ahead of the group with our feisty horses. Our friends were with us and never really rode before and their horses were great! I was ready to go back in the afternoon and do it again. We will be planning a trip back soon and plan on bringing the kids too.

1  Thank Mrsjewell21
See more reviews
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time here over the Memorial Day weekend. i really liked Willa, the manager (owner?). She's a no nonsense gal with a wonderful sense of humor.
She advised us to keep our keys, wallet, phone and anything of value in our front pocket for very obvious reasons otherwise our car would be the best place to keep them and gently convinced us to take a helmet. "Our horses are gentle but it's the little critter that may spook her that you may want to reconsider..."
My horse, "Texas" was a beautiful, gentle animal. She was well groomed, clean and well behaved. Our guides, Jarvier (who spoke very good English, btw) and Jose were very patient and made sure our horses behaved. I was stung by a bee along the way, just below my right eye. Jarvier was concerned and asked if I wanted to return to the stables. I appreciated that very much.
The trail before the beach was beautifully relaxing. I envied the owners of the homes we passed along the way and the scenery was pleasant. It's true, the ride on the beach was relatively short but the overall hour and a half ride was wonderful. I wouldn't take a minute of it back.
A photographer met us on his Segway several times along the way and at the end of the ride we had the option of purchasing them. We took advantage of the weekend special and had 86 pictures burned for us on a DVD for $40. The pictures were sharp and well done.
We had a great time at Sea Horse Ranch and would highly recommend it.

2  Thank SFWanderer