“Beautiful ride in Half Moon Bay area”
Review of Sea Horse Ranch

Sea Horse Ranch
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful guided coastal trail and beach horseback rides on dramatic Coastal Equestrian Trail and Half Moon Bay's Poplar Beach. Minimum riding age is 7 years old. All rides appropriate for first time, moderately experienced and very experienced riders. Online reservations required, height/weight restrictions available online, check before booking. Barbecues available for groups of 10 people or more. Closing time ends with seasonal changes. Always open for early bird ride at 8:00 a.m., by reservation.
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My 8-year-old daughter & I took a 90-minute horseback ride here. The route was beautiful! We rode along meadows with views of the ocean on once side, the hills on the other. The guides took us onto the beach too. Guides were careful to assess our experience level (nearly none) to be sure we had compatible horses. Horses were easy enough to control with a basic lesson on how to use the reigns. Upon arrival, the business may come across dirty and disorganized but they accommodated everyone in good time, and were very careful guides. Arrive early enough to avoid lines/waiting. Very enjoyable!!

2  Thank Judy M
There are newer reviews for Sea Horse Ranch

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We took a group on a tour through Sea Horse. The starting facilities left us worried the group was in for a sour experience as they are a bit run down and filthy. However, the group had a great time and loved the tour. It was a highlight for sure.

1  Thank WBS4EVER
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Took the 8am discount 2 hour ride to the beach and back. Pretty normal, horses being horses until they hit the beach, which they seem to really enjoy! Photographer did a great job documenting our ride (for a fairly reasonable priced CD)

5  Thank HKRNK
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I went with my friend on a Monday at 3pm. It was pretty slow, which was great for us because it was just the two of us.

There is a bunch of rules, but in a nutshell you can't bring anything might fall off because they're not going to get it for you. No food no water no sunhats. Baseball hats are ok. I had to put everything in my car and just carry the key in my pocket. SO have a pocket or they will hold your key for you. Luckily I was wearing jeans. No phones no cameras no water bottles. No bare shoulders. My friend had a tank top on and she had to put on her jacket. You don't have to wear a helmet if you're 18 and up. But free helmets. The bathroom is a portapotty. and it wasn't very clean.

I agree with the looks of the ranch but it's a ranch. I also think the staff live on it too. My horse I think was a bit crazy because I think he was giving me crazy eyes, but I was safe. He like to run, but my guide told me to pull back the harness which stopped him. The trail starts off pretty slow and boring and I didn't want to continue my 90 mins guided tour after 15 mins. But At 25 mins the scene changed and you under some plant canopy through a tiny stream until you get the view of the beach. Then you think, that's my beach view, but nope, keep going and your horse climbs down a STEEP hill and you're actually on the beach. SOOOOOO beautiful! Some people had 5 chihuahuas on the beach that ran up to our horses barking at them. This freaked them out a little but our guide rushed up to block them. Then it's back up to the stream and the boring part and then the ranch.
Our guide, Miguel, did not speak English. He's from Jalisco, like the name of our horse. He hung out back behind us during the boring parts. But would tell us how to reign our horses in with simple commands like pull, left or right. The guided tour does not mean speaking tour guide. It's just someone guiding you through the trail. The horses mostly know the way. It's just a simple circle.
The beach was just a beach and you can't blame a ranch for property that isn't theirs. We past some bonfires that people just left their garbage all over the place. The horse will stop and pee wherever it wants, including on the beach!
When we returned to the ranch we were able to run to our car and grab a camera and take a pic! We tipped our guide well because he was watching our for us, and just let us enjoy the view and conversation. But my butt and thighs were so sore the next couple of days.

Tip: Don't go on a holiday or hot day, there is not much shade.

Google maps wasn't very clear on the name of the turn into the ranch so we just had to follow the blue dot to figure it out.

5  Thank monsternina
Reviewed July 9, 2012

One of the best places to ride, the views are incredible!

1  Thank TeriKay