“Simple beauty for everyone to enjoy!”

Half Moon Bay State Beach
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Monterey & Carmel Explorer with optional Aquarium
More attraction details
Owner description: Broad and sandy beach stretching more than four miles features campground facilities and trails for hikers and horseback riders.
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I took a drive from San Jose on I280 to route 92 up and over the mountain on a twisty, winding road which in and of itself was very cool. There were several interesting places we could have stopped at along the way but our intention was for HMBSB and so there we went. We paid the entry fee and parked, got out and just stood for awhile absorbing the wonderful energy from the Pacific. There were families there, flying kites and picnicking. There were a few guys surfing, hoping for a Maverick wave, I suppose. We walked along the water, collecting a few shells and rocks but mostly just enjoying the view. We took many photographs. We left to find lunch and then returned for sunset for more fantastic views and camera shots. There is a camping area on one end, which is a separate entry fee, etc. There was a bike/walking trail nearby. Overall, a lovely, lovely place. One day we shall return.

3  Thank bgtmama
"horseback riding"
in 43 reviews
in 37 reviews

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Went with a friend to this Beach in November 2013. The entire drive from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay was awesome. This is the best place to see and experience Pacific Ocean. Lots of family along with their pets came to this beach that time for Picnic. You can ride on a bicycle and enjoy the fresh air around this area. Also, surprised to saw many houses around this bay and people living there like the way living in the SFO, San Jose. Parking is easily available and it's a secure place. On the way back to SFO, you would find many good restaurants for having food there. It's a must see. Don't miss out.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Never mind the beach...driving from San Francisco to Half Moon Bay was incredible. It's quite hilly and I could not believe they actially have bicycle racing events on this road. I think it's an actual stage in the Tour of California. The winding road is also very well maintained and paved smooth. I wish I had my Cobra when I drove this road. Great views as well.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My wife and I took a four-day tent camping trip along Route 1. We have to say that out of all four this was the best. While much of what makes it the best were the particular sites we had, we wanted to spread the word about them - if you go here, be sure to select the special sites (36, 37, or 38) which are tent only but RIGHT on the water - we woke up to the sound of the waves. It gets pretty windy in the late afternoon, when most people are setting up their tents, but the wind dies down perfectly around sunset (land breeze transitions to sea breeze). Other benefits include nearby grocery stores for any other things you still need and close bathroom, shower, and water pump.

2  Thank Adam S
See more reviews
Reviewed December 11, 2013

No, this is not an advert for the Ritz. But try this out - go south from HMB on Hwy 1 to Miramontes Point Rd then turn towards the ocean. Drive out to the gate for the Ritz-Carlton and say you want parking for Beach Access (this will be free!) From the garage, walk west to the trail along the cliff then walk south until you reach the stairs to the beach. From there you can walk on a mile or so on the beach (this will be free!). When done, walk back up to the Ritz plaza overlooking the ocean and (here's the best part) order hot chocolate (this will be $6). Sit and enjoy the view, with a hot chocolate reward for your "strenuous" hike. An enjoyable two-hour visit of the California coast for only $6 !!

9  Thank 2009Benjamin