“Excellent Resort”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Murfreesboro, Tn.
“Excellent Resort”
Reviewed July 23, 2007

First let me say, that after reading some of the other reviews my
wife and I were a little afraid of the service we might receive at the
resort.
Our stay at this resort was from the time we arrived at the
gate house till check out one of the best experiences we've had
at any resort.
We were welcomed by name, wished a happy anniversary and
always greeted with a smile. And might I state, not one time
did any employee from the valet to cleaning staff ever once act
like they expected a tip for their services. They were friendly, courteous and always went out of their way to provide and make
sure that my wife and I had anything we needed or wanted.
Prior to our arrival I had requested that music be playing in our
room upon our check in and said music be classical, one of
my wife's favorites. It was indeed, and the staff had burned a
CD, complete with picture of the hotel and our name and anniversary date. Also, I had emailed a picture and they had it
framed and on our night stand. Done! I had requested on the
first night of our arrival the Rose Petal Turndown at 8 pm.. Done!
Chocolate strawberries were also there as requested.
Each night at 8 pm turn down was completed.
Never was our room lacking in maid service. It was always
cleaned and fresh linen and towels in place.
Also, the Club level was outstanding. The food presentation was
great and every employee was more than attentive.
Attention to detail was at every corner, from the decor to the way
employee's were dressed.
The Spa was also outstanding in decor and atmosphere. What a relaxed, stress free way to spend our morning.
The valet service was great. We never had to wait on our car and
all employees were helpful with extra request for directions and
bottled water.
The hotel also has a delightful smell from the wood burning
fireplaces and the fresh sea air.
I could go on and on about our stay, but I think you get the idea.
The resort is strictly Ritz all the way and my wife and I would
recommend this hotel for a relaxed romantic stay.

Wayne and Kathy Bassette

• Liked — Size of room and view ocean cliffs.
  • Disliked — The price of small items in honor bar.
4 Thank wbassette

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 23, 2007

My husband and I have stayed at this property once before. This stay was equal to the first with a few minor exceptions. The Ritz is located in a gated community of private homes and a golf course. It sits on the edge of the Pacific Ocean and has gorgeous views from many places throughout the hotel including the room. We booked a partial ocean view room for about $425 plus resort fee, valet fee & taxes. This was a Sunday stay. The hotel was busy as it has been the last time we stayed there and on other occasions when we visited the bar/rest but did not stay. The valet staff is Superb, the best we have ever experienced. My husband is very particular about his sports car and they accomodated him in every way. Even the Four Seasons doesn't compare to this staff. Rooms are quaintly appointed with the usual Ritz ammenities, robes, large soaking tub, granite, luxury soaps, lotions ect. Rooms we stayed in could have used a bit more "polish" . I noticed a couple spots on the carpet (minor) and on the lounge in front of the window. The first room we were given had a furry friend in it prior to our arrival and smelled of wet dog. The staff tried to "freshen" the room however that smell was worse than the wet dog so we were moved to a different room of equivelence. We ate at Navio for dinner, $145 plus tip including wine. Not bad and the food was excellent. Try the amous bouche (sp*?) the scallop was wonderful. We sat at the wine bar and had champagne before dinner, lovely selection but the bar tender, meant to entertain and dazzle, talks way too much. We were never able to have our own conversation or enjoy the Ocean View as he never stopped talking and telling stories. A great guy though just needs to learn balance. Room service was speedy and honored the 30 minute guarantee easily. All in all a wonderful, peaceful beautiful stay. We will always come back here, a quick 90 minute drive from Sacramento where we live. Half Moon Bay is a quiet beach town, not much to do there. The hotel offers to take you into to town in their Mercedes SUV for free 24/7. We did not utilize it since the resort itself is so beautiful and provides everything you need for a weekend stay. Don't expect to get out cheap, after all was said and done our check out bill was close to $700.00 for one night. Well worth it for the rejuvination.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — The Dogs (Pet friendly) Although everyone was considerate
1 Thank Hawaiiluv
San Francisco
Reviewed July 13, 2007

We booked an ocean view room at the last minute to celebrate our anniversary. Yes, the rates were expensive, but it was absolutely worth it for the size, cleanliness, and view of the room. They even did a complimentary evening turn down with rose petals (!) on the bed to help us celebrate. The staff, particularly in the dining area and spa went out of their way to assist us. We would definitely stay here again.
Just as a note to those considering the "fire pit rooms" - you may want to be very specific about which room you want. We noticed that some of them are adjacent to the back courtyard where there is a lot of foot traffic. It didn't look like it would be comfortable having other guests walking by and peeking into your private moments.

• Liked — Beautiful view, spacious room
  • Disliked — Pricey rate
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank koipond
SLO, CA
Reviewed July 10, 2007

My friend and I were soooo excited to stay here. I had recently miscarried and she was beyond stressed with work so we chose the Ritz Carlton as our escape. We stayed in a club level room on account there are several complimentary food presentations everyday. The food was delicious and there was wine and dessert liquors in the evenings. We didn't get the room we thought we would though, there is a picture on the website of a windowseat and we naturaly assumed we would have one. Not so, it turns out those are the first to be reserved and you have to ask for one special.

Our room was nice, but I am 5 feet tall and the shower sprayed me right in the face and there is no way to adjust it, nor was there any room to avoid it.

We ate at Navio and were pretty impressed. We both had the tasting menu the first night. The lobster dish was absolutly to die for, but for $105 I expected each dish to wow me. I can't remember what I ate the second night, but I do remember paying ten dollars for a bottle of pelligrino.

The spa facility is beautiful and very well kept. I was happy with my treatments, and my friend was happy with hers. Our only complaint is perhaps we should have been asked if we would like the water to be left running during our wraps. Oh, and the haircut I got was terrible. I had to go to my room and completely start over. The gal was nice, but didn't even put product in my hair before she blow dried it. I ended up looking like Tony Danza. They did adjust the price 30% for me when I expressed my distaste.

Over all we had a good time. The views were astounding and I saw the most glorious sunset of my life. The staff was very friendly and was able to anticipate our needs. I won't return, mostly because I would prefer smaller inn and a better spa.

• Liked — relaxing in the spa
  • Disliked — My terrible haircut
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank eightcowwife
Toronto
Reviewed July 9, 2007

We had booked a room with a firepit - for the express reason of celebrating with our wine from Napa and dinner via room service on July 4. The room did indeed have a firepit - but it also came with a rest room that was open to the public - right next door! This was room #469. If you are planning to stay there do not allow this hotel to book you into it, or I would say even the two rooms down from it. When sitting at the firepit (which, by the way, contained many cigarette butts and a MacDonalds chicken nugget box) - any walkers on the cliff path that were waiting for their loved ones to finish up in the rest room - were basically standing on the path looking right at me. Delightful. As was the smell from the rest rooms each time the doors opened.

We received a room change - to a lesser room without a firepit - and ended up eating dinner in the same lounge we had had eaten for lunch. Same menu. Same slow service. We were not impressed.

I noticed also that the jacuzzi overlooking the ocean was not working - as mentioned by a couple of previous reviewers.

This hotel is simply not what it's pretending to be. It is badly designed for getting around - if you are on the north side of the hotel you have to take two separate elevators to get to the entrance onto the main viewing area. With a long walk in between the elevators. There is no good lobby area for sitting. Its rooms are not large enough for the furniture they contain. The pool is quite a distance - and that can be a cold distance in the myriad fog - from the main hotel. And of course the $39 per day charge for parking is outrageous - however we did know that going in.

My husband did enjoy the golf and the spa was nicely done although again the hotel could have done a much better job of making sure you knew that using all the spa facilities was included in the price of the room. My make-up application and lesson from Claudia was absolutely first class.

Perhaps all would have been well if we had been given a decent room - but that's the risk you take when you try to act like the Four Seasons but actually try to deceive your guests into sleeping in a room next to a public toilet. Don't forget they still got our money. Bait and switch anyone?

• Liked — Golf and spa services
  • Disliked — Sub par room
6 Thank mmqc2
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed June 29, 2007

I don't know why I continue to patronize this chain. In this case, I was intrigued by the Afternoon Tea service - their website advertises that it is served daily in the Library. However, we arrived to find that our service had been set up in the Conservatory. Fine, I suppose, but no white table cloths, just a glass table among other guests not having tea. Apparently, we were the only ones. Which I only find annoying because when I called to make a reservation a week ago, I was told that I would have to be wait-listed. I then sent an email to the hotel, no response. At this point, I really wanted tea (as we haven't had proper tea servcie since our return from London). Had to call the restaurant manager, who "secured" a reservation for us, but failed to mention why we were really wait listed. Turns out, the tea server was not working that day because no one had made a tea reservation (except us). So no, demand on a Monday afternoon is not high. And we happened to be lucky that the stand-in server knew how to serve the tea we were told, which was nothing special. Food does not come out in a tiered tray, you get one scone each, and a bunch of frivolous desserts. If you've done tea in London, the tea here is just sad. Perhaps they provide a more elaborate service on the weekends. One can only guess since the restaurant manager doesn't like to give away any additional information via email or phone call.

Other disappointments:
Turndown requested at 6 pm. They arrived at 6:40, exactly the same time we returned to the room.
Lunch in the Conservatory: My husband's burger arrived 20 minutes after my entree. Had I not flagged the server down (who was busy doing who knows what) - we probably would have waited longer. How does a Ritz hotel restaurant not understand that people like to eat their entrees at the same time? We heard the table nearby complain about how long they had been waiting (40 minutes) and at one point, they considered just getting up and leaving. They were not happy.
Left our room to find someone had placed an empty wine glass in front of our door. Asked the front desk to have it removed. 2 hours later, it was still there.
Shower is not abnormally small. However, it is too small for a rainforest showerhead, which meant I had no where to stand to shampoo and soap up without being directly under water.

I did appreciate very much the room upgrade we were given at check in. We had booked a Courtyard View Room, which the desk requoted at $399/night at check in. Of course they failed to mention the $25 "resort fee" that will appear on your bill at check out. They did readjust this for me, as I was never informed of the additional fee. Let me guess, no one really is. Why not just be upfront about the actual rate before taxes? Soapbox: I don't understand why some hotels in this price bracket need to nickel and dime you. This just shows that they do not understand their clientele. Set your price and include whatever you need to include. If I didn't want to pay up, I would stay elsewhere (of course had I known about the sorry tea service...)

Room was nice, though bordering on bland for a Ritz. Decor is more seaside upscale, less luxurious than, say, the Ritz in San Francisco (another subpar service experience). The porter who was very thorough in explaining the room features was appreciated as well. At least one person on staff was able to rise to the occasion and do their job as it should be done.

I actually was glad to leave this place. We had planned on having breakfast here for the convenience factor. However, I wasn't looking forward to any more service issues in the restaurant. We had a plane to catch. We found several cute coffee shops downtown, only 5 minutes away by car.
Would love to return to Half Moon Bay for a day trip. If longer, we would not consider staying here again. If I am going to pay Ritz prices, I expect Ritz service and nothing less.

• Liked — view of the ocean
  • Disliked — hidden "resort fee" charge, restaurant, front desk, and housekeeping service
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank 24palo
California
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Our trip to half moon bay was on accident. We arrived in Napa Valley looking forward to our stay, unfortunately when we arrived the rain was horrible (which later become one of Napa's worst floods). After New Years Eve, with a night being stuck in our hotel due to floods, our wine excursion was going to be extremely limited so we attempted to escape and head back to LA. After the drive and entering the Bay Bride thoughts passed our mind of catching a good sleep in San Fran. however I suggest to my bf that we might get stuck here if the rain continues. So we headed over to Half Moon Bay, and I had no problem with the Ritz, the room was nice, and the valet, and staff were very friendly. We thought about staying a couple more days, but to be honest we just wanted to get back home. I have some short videos of the room, however my video skills are horrible, and you might get motion sickness.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#6 of 228 in San Francisco
Harbor View Inn
#8 of 8 in Half Moon Bay

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!