“Relaxing Stay”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Sacramento, California
“Relaxing Stay”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Was looking for a nice hotel near the water that was available last minute for the Memorial Day weekend and this was just ticket. It was so relaxing and beautiful. A great stay. Really enjoyed the Club level from a room perspective, it was beautiful, a view perspective, and a bang for your buck perspective (they constantly had nice snacks laid out). Great, GREAT stay. Would go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed for two nights on business/conference. As I have experienced at other Ritz Carlton properties, the staff was top notch; very attentive, polite and friendly. Conference meals were very good as was the lunch I had on my own. My room seemed a bit smaller than those I've had at other Ritz Carlton's and while lovely compared to most hotels, it seemed underwhelming compared to other Ritz Carltons (I would imagine the rooms with the private fire pits are an exception). However, the room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was typically massive and luxurious. The location is really quite extraordinary and the views and grounds are beautiful. All in all, a lovely place with excellent staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Teaneck, NJ
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

This is a great property to spend a weekend, but even if you are heading elsewhere up or down the coast, visit here for an hour or two. Take a walk, then enjoy the spectacular scenery from the adirondack chairs at the outdoor lounge and order a hot toddy! Watch the golfers, and ask for a blanket if it gets windy by the fire pit. Ritz always delivers.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonoma, CA
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was the perfect storm of PERFECTION! Granted the perfect weather was really rare on the weekend we were there for a wedding, no fog & not cold, only needed a light sweater on our stroll on the golf course path down to a sheltered beach. We watched the rugged coast at an early dinner by the window. My husband said it was the best Swordfish he has ever had. Our server Molly was delightful. Cuddled up in provided blankets by the fire pit enjoying the breathtaking evening, wine & listening to bagpiper. Could have been in Scotland or on the 17 Mile Drive! Other reviewers have said it was like a palace but we found it warm, welcoming, not pretentious at all, more like a large mansion. We've been fortunate to have stayed at other Ritz Carlton properties and this is definitely our favorite. Loved it! We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank mumzi
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton for two nights earlier this month as part of a last-minute staycation (as we live in SF). We settled on an ocean view room with a private fire pit and drove on down.

The room itself is small - only about 450 square feet - and somewhat underwhelming for the very expensive ($800/night) price tag that accompanied it. The outdoor fire pit was great, though, with lovely views of Half Moon Bay. We could see the bagpiper play and the fog rolling in off the ocean. It was gorgeous and relaxing.

Food on property is good quality but terribly over-priced; dinner in their fancy restaurant failed to impress. Breakfast was nice - we elected to skip the brunch and just eat in the Conservatory. They have a daily buffet but you can also do a la carte, which we preferred. I was annoyed that the first day we went to check in for breakfast, we were told there was a wait for tables, even though we could clearly see open tables. I inquired as to why we couldn't be seated at one of the open tables and was told they were for other people; 10 minutes later, we we seated at... one of the open tables I had inquired about.

I also found hair stuck to the shower wall - at least 5-6 strands - that was not mine and was not my husband's. I know this because it was there when I stepped into the shower, and I was the first one to use it. So, not real thrilled about that, either, but I didn't say anything to management. Just kind of gross.

Overall I liked the location and the private fire pit and my husband and I did have a relaxing weekend, but it certainly wasn't worth the roughly $2,400 that we ended up spending (room, food, parking, etc.) and I would not go back. As this was my first stay at a Ritz-Carlton property, I came away generally underwhelmed by what RC offered. I've been to many other high end properties (Four Seasons, Relais & Chateaux, Peninsula, etc.) and just felt that I was paying for more and getting less here.

San Francisco
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Yes, the hotel setting is beautiful. However, if you look closely, you will see many signs of wear on the furniture and all. I don't think anything has been updated since it opened.

This review is strictly about the breakfast service as we came there for breakfast this past weekend. Note that their brunch starts at 11am, before that is just their regular breakfast service, which is what we had.

The food was excellent, but the service and presentation were definitely spotty. We had the buffet for $35 each and that turned out to be a rather basic, limited buffet that was poorly provisioned .

For instance, there were some pancakes, but no syrup or butter. The only butter was at the bread station clear across the room. It took way too long to flag down our server to get some syrup.

There was no jam at the bread station and we finally figured out that the other tables had jam at each table. Again, it took far too long to flag down our server and get some jam.

There were only 2 kinds of juice, 2 kinds of meat, etc.

These are minor points, but you expect a hotel like this with these prices to have things worked out a bit better.

Maybe everything comes together better at the brunch which starts at 11am.

Note that there is no self parking at the hotel. You must have a valet park your car.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was one of many visits we have made to this Ritz Carlton in over 10 years and it's one of the most beautiful hotels I know, in a stunning location and with great services. The club level is wonderful with delicious food and beverages. Really worth it.

Unfortunately, the yoga room that was at the end of the gym has been turned into a storage room. Why? Now there is no space to do yoga or any other exercise but get on a workout machine. No room to stretch or roll out a mat. I squeezed myself between the shelf with the water & towels and a machine, while people came in and out through a door located by my head.

The spa people sent us across to the area with the big pool and said there was a room there. This turned out not to be accurate. The gentleman there told us there were classes during the week but no space for yoga either. I would expect a hotel like the Ritz to train their staff on facilities?

Well, it was very disappointing to me me as the space they had was just lovely. And most luxury hotels have at least some space to stretch. It was too cold to go outside.

Ritz Carlton management, can you please tell me what the rational was and if you plan to make improvements? I can't be the only person who is not keen on workout machines.

PS: There was a group of girls in the gym with their own speaker and very loud music; not the kind of music I enjoy; particularly when trying to do yoga. Somebody complained and they turned it off, with the promise by the spa people to pipe in official music. As they could not figure out how to do that, they allowed the girls to put their music back on. Not fun.

Room Tip: Personally, I prefer a room on a higher floor as being on the ground floor towards the wedding gazeb...