““Why go to the Ritz Carlton in Dana Point when you have on here locally”” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Brentwood, California
““Why go to the Ritz Carlton in Dana Point when you have on here locally””
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I had the privilege of staying at this property with my wife who had a 3-day gathering. I know what you’re saying why write a review on the Ritz! We all know that Ritz Carlton properties are all typically 5 Star. Well the reason I’m writing this is because this is the closest that one would get to staying a luxurious resort located in the Bay Area with a stunning costal scenic view. No need to fly or drive to Southern California when you have one in your backyard. The property is Immaculate and stunning. The staff is the “BEST” that I have come across and the rooms are top tier. Upon walking into our room I quickly noticed drinking glasses (not plastic) individually wrapped in paper. This throws out the theory of a property that I stayed at in Sydney when I complained about the glass being left out collecting dust and their response to me was that their housekeeping team clean thoroughly! Yeah right!! Anyway, what a perfect touch. One is showered with room amenities, bed linen that would be compared to Barbacci and Frette, furniture décor right out of a magazine and FREE Wifi!! The entire property is breathtaking and the perfect vacation getaway or corporate gathering.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Angel A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed here on our way to Hong Kong. Although it is a 30 minute drive from SFO, I am really glad we stayed here. They property overlooks one of the better views in Northern California. We spent much of the evening sitting at one of the fire pits overlooking the ocean. Very romantic! This would be a great place to spend a relaxing weekend!

The room was standard quality you would expect at a Ritz. The service was spot on, but not stuffy. The only possible knock on the place would be the food. I had a very blad salmon sandwich and my wife a very average crab cake for dinner. The food was just not that tasty.

Great hotel- we plan on coming back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Green Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Cushy, very attentive staff, posh cozy rooms, breathtaking views, spa, very nice dining, and lots of expensive cars out front, kind of what you'd expect when you are paying $400 to $1500+ per night.

We had a great corner suite with views of the coast out all windows. Though pricey, this is the sort of place you go to be spoiled by an obsequious staff.

For that special occasion, this is the place to go for a few nights!

• Stayed November 2012
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel is off the beaten path. You wind a corner and suddently, there is this majestic uprising of beauty. It is not pretentious. It fits in with its God-given surroundings. At the entrance was the most beautiful display of pumpkins! Indescribable. The sky was foggy, and a man wearing a kilt was playing bagpipes! We immediately felt we had discovered something magical! It only got better, as staff were so friendly and helpful; we discovered the wonderful trail along the ocean (perfect for a late afternoon stroll or early morning run...we did both); we enjoyed the view of that incredible ocean; we relaxed in our luxurious room. Breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic, as were our servers, Maria and Maria. Excellent coffee. Then massages---Diana was magnificent!

Room Tip: The ground floor rooms with a patio look wonderful. Will request that next time.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

I had a great driver who showed me around SF before bringing me over to the Ritz. Greeted by name and walked me to my Club Level room with an amazing view of the ocean. Loved my fireplace! Sitting at the fire pit outside watching the sun set was beyond gorgeous! Club Lounge was wonderful. Spa was relaxing and my massage amazing! Every staff person I met was kind and spoke! Can't wait to come back to this incredible hotel!!

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Lacleveland
Half Moon Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This property is one of my favorite Ritz Carlton properties. It rivals Laguna Niguel as one of the most scenic and most attentive properties from Ritz Carlton that I've ever stayed at. While I don't think it's thought of as a flag-ship property (the way Central Park is), it is absolutely gorgeous with amazing ocean views, the spa is wonderful, and the restaurant (Navio) is a training ground for Michelin Star chefs. See former chef Peter Rudolph for proof at Madera (at the Rosewood hotel now).

Overall, this is a romantic, highly attentive Ritz with two great golf courses and a magnificent Spa, fire pits, and wine tasting rooms. Great for couples, probably OK for kids although I think this is a more couple and business targeted Ritz. A lot of companies like to do offsite retreats here because it's only 30 minutes from SFO airport but feels a million miles from anywhere.

Room Tip: Firepit rooms are on the ground floor and are gorgeous views. They aren't the largest rooms on p...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had drinks in a quiet area before we were taken to our private dining room. We had 3 waiters looking after our every whim and they did a great job. We were 14 and tightly packed around the table, not that it detracted from our enjoyment. We went for the set menu with wine but the bill was still around the $4,000 mark. Pleased it was not me paying!

Great food although unusually for the US the portions were quite small, ie the crab dish which I think was from a hermit crab. All in all, a great experience and would stay with the wife here in the future.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#6 of 233 in San Francisco
4.5 of 5 stars 448 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!