“Not all you'd expect from this luxury chain, but...”

The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Half Moon Bay
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Perched on a stunning bit of California coast, this property takes advantage of nature’s blessings in many ways. Golfers, runners, architects, and oceanview lovers will be especially pleased with the outdoor offerings. Of course, the other biggest factors that make a great hotel are the guestrooms and the staff. We stayed in a room with a fire pit patio (great for s’mores or snuggling up with a drink). If I were to rate the property on room cleanliness and maintenance alone, this Ritz would be a 3: frayed and scuffed furniture and carpeting, dirty desk and bedside table, some maintenance needed on doors, phone, etc. On the plus side: a very comfortable bed and a particularly spacious and elegant bathroom with separate tub, shower, toilet areas -- much paved in marble and featuring many amenities. Staff at valet port/bell desk and reception areas were outstanding – friendly, professional, going the extra mile. Staff at restaurants did not exude warmth; they did the bare minimum, and some even gossiped at the host stand rather than making rounds to clear tables or refill beverages.

I stay in a wide range of hotels, and when I choose Ritz Carlton for a weekend getaway, it’s because I want that extra level of luxury, care, and attention to detail. I pay more for that, and I expected this property would be 5 stars all around at that price. I'd been wanting to go to this Ritz since it opened, and I wanted to love it. Judging on a luxury hotel level, this place came up short. But if you want to measure against other properties in the region, the Ritz Carlton is certainly a cut above the rest.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My girlfriends and I always try to go away for a weekend or overnighter every year. This year we decided to try this hotel. I made the best decision ever. I booked the room 2 months in advance and was able to get one of the cottages with a firepit for just under 400.00. This was a steel because you can not find that price very often. Upon checkin I was informed that we had been upgraded to a oceanview w/ firepit in the main building. Wow what a gift we were given. None of us had ever been to this hotel before and could not afford to go on our own.We also each received a wine tasting at check in. Our room was beautiful and clean and the view from our patio spectacular. Over the course of our stay we were treated so special. Everyone was over the top nice. I have traveled alot with my husbands company and this by far was the nicest staff anywhere. As we were enjoying our patio with the firepit on watching the sunset we were approached by a bartender from the outside bar to see if we needed anything. He was so nice and accomadating. His name was Hans and he made our trip extra nice. Make sure you take a walk on the coastal trail it's so beautiful and if you head south on the trail you can walk down to a lovely beach. The 25.00 resort fee includes alot. At turn down service they give you a bottle of water and a chocolate. Also the room has an in room coffemaker that perks into individual cups which I love. This is always a pet peeve of mine when you stay at a nice hotel and they still have the old coffeemakers with the pots in the room=gross. You also can use the fitness center for free and there is bottle water in there too. Since there was 4 women in the room we needed to call for extra coffee and chairs for our patio. They were at our room before we could blink and were very nice and never made us feel like a bother. The staff here is soo awesome I cant say that enough. We had dinner in the conservatory and I have to say it is very pricey. $18.00 for a kettleone martini, that was a not so good suprise when we got the bill. Even if you can only afford 1 night here its definately worth the experience.

Room Tip: If you can get a firepit room I think it makes it extra special. And of course the oceanfront rooms...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Ritz Carlton Half Moon Bay is absolutely spectacular. Going there is itself a visual experience on the winding country road lined with pottery, pumpkin patches, gardens and beautiful scenery. When you turn into Miramontes road, you would not have a clue that a big beautiful resort sits there on the majestic bluff overlooking the ocean. It is all residential, unmarked and inconspicuous. When you pull in the driveway, you will be greeted by gorgeous bellmen who will usher you to the front desk. The ladies at the front desk are gorgeous too and super nice! They gave us the key right away and bell men delivered the luggage efficiently, and took time to show the room's amenities. The room is beautifully appointed, with the ref minibar, flat screen TV, marble bathroom interiors, fine glass, terry cloth wardrobe, toiletries.
The previous Ritz I stayed in at Dana Point had Bulgari so I was a bit let down that they don't have it or no longer use Bulgari. We had a little balcony, so that was nice. At almost $500 a night, we had the cheapest room! The view is beautiful, the ground level rooms have more room and a firepit that faces the golf course, the ocean and the poolhouse. It can get cold and foggy at any time of the year, so always bring sweater or warm clothes!
We had a Wine Flight at Eno, their bar, and we got to try several types of wines from all over the world. The casual dining place is not very expensive, and our wine sommeliers-an exchange student from Korea and some from Germany, were very nice. Lots of photo opportunities throughout the hotel! The outdoor terrace is huge, they have a gazebo that is used a lot for weddings which makes the hotel very busy for this occasion. It is perfect for weddings or corporate meetings, also for a spa weekend. The poolhouse is across the lawn, a gold cart ride away or a long walk. Watch out for flying golf balls! It is wonderful to watch the sunset on the terrace or the restaurant. It is a gorgeous property, and the only oceanfront resort in the Bay Area. There are plenty of things to do in the town, antiquing or looking at the pumpkin patches. It is difficult to leave this resort and town, it is just so beautiful!

Room Tip: Ask for the oceanfront suites if you can afford it!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I am not a golfer. But the hotel was a great destination anyways. Great views of the Pacific Coast. Rooms were fine and the hotel has many cool common areas including outdoor fireplaces and a great bar and restaurant area with more of the views. Service was polished and dinner was very good. All in, nothing to fault.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Lets get "the bad" out of the way quickly… We came to the hotel after a days hiking and a long drive and maybe, weren't dressed appropriately. But to be honest I think it shouldn't matter. However I got the feeling they wanted us gone from the reception area asap. While the other guests that checked in next to us all got offered a glass of vine we got completely ignored. I found that rather rude!

Otherwise, a lovely hotel, nicely presented in a stunning location which I can very much recommend.
We had one of the rooms with a fireplace on the balcony facing the golf court. It meant not to have ocean views but it was certainly more quiet with more privacy than one of the rooms facing the courtyard where the outdoor bar is located.

We went for a long walk along the beach and watched the sun set while having a glass of vino and listening to live bagpipe music. Magic!

The sleep quality was great and the checkout nice and easy.

So except from the little hiccup at check in it was great.

Mrs. V

Room Tip: If you prefer a more quiet room you should ask for a room not facing the courtyard where the bar is...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed at the Ritz in HMB for a conference this spring. It is an amazingly beautiful hotel with a stunning view. It is probably the most beautiful hotel I have seen or stayed at. The service was pretty good, not quite as good as some of the other Ritz's that I have stayed at. Our room was fantastic and all of the restaurants were beautiful. Only drawback is that the food is not very good. It is exteremely expensive and you would be better off dining in town or up the highway at the great choices nearby. Don't waste your money on the food. Also, the rooms themselves are very expensive, even for a Ritz. But it is always busy so I guess they can charge what they wish.

Room Tip: If you can spring for a room with a firepit, get some smores supplies and love your life!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Decided at the last minute to cancel the last night of our hotel reservation further up north, to join others at a very special wine dinner at the Ritz Carlton, featuring "Stage Left Cellars", out of Oakland. It was a very special evening & they even upgraded us to a room with our own outdoor fireplace on a patio, which we enjoyed sitting at & sipping a glass of wine, with an insane view of the coastline & sunset. Who WOULDN'T love the Ritz?

Room Tip: You have to have a room with the outdoor fireplace, and of course a view of the beautiful coastline...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chinatown
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco
#7 of 230 in San Francisco

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay? Share your experiences!